Another WiFi bites the dust !

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Arcano

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
It's impressive, there are a lot of people with this problem and so far nothing seem to fix the situation for good in many cases. My wifi stoped working to days ago, nada, it can´t find any access point anywhere.

I have rebooted the phone, network and even restored the iPhone, this must be something wrong with the iPhone itself and the hardware. :oops:

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
It's impressive, there are a lot of people with this problem and so far nothing seem to fix the situation for good in many cases. My wifi stoped working to days ago, nada, it can´t find any access point anywhere.

I have rebooted the phone, network and even restored the iPhone, this must be something wrong with the iPhone itself and the hardware. :oops:
Sorry man, back to Apple you go....

slacker

Dec 13, 2007

Count me in as another who is experiencing the iPhone "cannot find network" wifi problem.
I have been following some of the threads here and elsewhere and it definitely seems that some iPhones have wifi problems distinct from "network/router issues". I wonder if this is due to faulty iPhone hardware?

I have a week 39 iPhone, firmware 1.1.1 (3A109a), modem firmware 04.01.13_G.
It's jailbroken using the tiff exploit, but not unlocked. I used this guide:
http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12817
Other than the BSD programs, I only have "Services", "SysInfo", and "Sketches" 3rd-party apps installed -and whatever was installed during the jailbreak/activation process.

After working flawlessly for several weeks, my wifi stopped working. When I go to Settings>Wifi Networks, I can turn Wifi on. But the "Choose a Network..." does not bring up any networks. The round spinning wheel spins every few seconds as if trying to find a network, but nothing happens. When I tap on "Other..." and enter network information, I get the "could not find the network "XXX", where XXX is my network. The aiport extreme network works fine --my PC and Mac computers connect flawlessly to it, as does my housemate's iPhone. There is no security on the network. In addition, I get the same error when I try to connect my iPhone via wifi at work (this also worked flawlessly previously). I have turned airplane mode on and off, re-booted, and tapped Reset Network Settings, as well as Reset All Settings. None of this has fixed the problem. I have not restored yet.

So are there defective wifi "boards" on some of the iPhones? From what I gather, this appears to be happening on non-jailbroken and jailbroken phones.

Anyone out there who has this issue, have you figured out how to restore your wifi?

Thanks.

Arcano

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Yes ! I´m pretty sure there is a hardware problem with many iPhones out there, check my other thread about it...it´s the "comm board".

slacker

Dec 13, 2007
Yes ! I´m pretty sure there is a hardware problem with many iPhones out there, check my other thread about it...it´s the "comm board".
Is there a way to test the Comm board?

I was trying to ping my iPhone, but I don't know how to ping a MAC address -or whether that can even be done. Of course I don't know its IP address, or if it even has one.

Arcano

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Is there a way to test the Comm board?

I was trying to ping my iPhone, but I don't know how to ping a MAC address -or whether that can even be done. Of course I don't know its IP address, or if it even has one.
As far as I know you need to really know about the iPhone if you wanna mess with the commboard, it´s not an easy task and it requires special equipment..to be honest I´m feeling very pesimistic about this. :oops:

Dec 18, 2007
Chris716, sorry but "ive never had any probs with my wifi" doesn't really answer the question of how to fix this issue. We, who are having problems, don't need these stupid posts.

Dec 18, 2007
A friend of mine tried to fix my iPhone that way...it didn´t work in my case, the commboard is not working so it´s a hardware problem in some iPhones :oops:
Arcano, in my situation, everything works, EDGE, phone, just not WiFi.
I can turn on the WiFi but I cannot find any networks at all.
My PC can find my network, my friends iPhone can find the network except mine.

How can you tell if the commboard has gone?

And btw, what did you do in the end?

Arcano

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Arcano, in my situation, everything works, EDGE, phone, just not WiFi.
I can turn on the WiFi but I cannot find any networks at all.
My PC can find my network, my friends iPhone can find the network except mine.

How can you tell if the commboard has gone?

And btw, what did you do in the end?
Well my friend, I´m not a techie guy so I just follow what I see, read and hear in forums like these around the web. As I told I tried every single software related solution on the book but nothing worked........so at the end someone told me "try to turn on the blue tooth"....and the blue tooth didn´t work either.

The commboard handles wifi and BT so you know the rest of the story.

Return the iPhone to Apple was not an option for me (I don´t even live in USA) and if I wanted to try the commboard replacement there were two problems...get a commboard used but in good conditions and find someone who can make the trick, from time to time there are commboards for sale at ebay and ifix.com but the price is high (around 150$) plus other expenses like send the iPhone and the labour. Not a good situation.

So I end up selling my iPhone to someone who didn´t care about wifi at a bargain price...so sad.

Good luck buddie, I hope you're in a different situation.

Arcano

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
So then did you buy a new iPhone?
Yes. It took me a lot of thinking since somehow I loosed faith in the reliability of the iPhone but I guess I´m gonna give it another chance (cross fingers)...the new iPhone would be here tomorrow.