Anti-glare film

Jan 7, 2008
How do i clean the anti-glare film after i take it off?

RTWilliams2

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
After I remove mine, I throw them away and apply a new one. The package says they can be cleaned and reapplied but it doesn't work out so well. You will get fingerprints and lint on the side with the adhesive and it will look terrible when you put it back on your phone.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
After I remove mine, I throw them away and apply a new one. The package says they can be cleaned and reapplied but it doesn't work out so well. You will get fingerprints and lint on the side with the adhesive and it will look terrible when you put it back on your phone.
Trust this. Been there done that.:laugh2:

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
yeah i have to agree, its nearly impossible if you clean it to keep it clean before putting it back on. I tried washing it with water and inorder to try it i used a cloth, but cloth particles got on it so i washed it again and let it dry this time and still particles got on it. Just use the second one it comes with in the package or buy a new pack. If can be done, but the look of it will irritate you

m.o.r.

Oct 25, 2007
How do i clean the anti-glare film after i take it off?
it's easy to clean and re-apply the film. at least try it out first before buying another one. once you get the hang of it, re-applying becomes a snap.

1st thing you do is go to run your hot shower so the air will have some stream. this makes all the floating dust settle on the surfaces of the room/bathroom. (i know this sounds funny but believe me it works) then clean your lcd thoroughly with a lint-free cloth like the microfiber cloths for eye glasses.

then comes cleaning the film:
1st option to clean would be like the instructions said which is to run the static-cling side under a small stream of running water. make sure to hold the film by the sides to avoid getting fingerprints in the cling side. flick it lightly to release most of the water droplets

2nd option to cleaning the film which i personally prefer is to lay the film flat on the surface with the static-cling side facing up towards you. then use scotch tape and use several stick-&-remove procedures across the film to clean it. repeat until all the dust sticks to the tape.

after cleaning, carefuly align the film on your phone. apply it starting from 1 side going to the opposite end. i usually start at the home button side. (starting from the middle usually leads to misaligned applications) then use a credit card to iron out the bubbles from the center out towards the edges. finish off the ironing by using the cleaning cloth.

i have applied this technique on several iPhones, PDAs, DS, and other touch screen lcds over the years. some may say just replace the old one with a new film but same rules apply since if dust starts clinging to the new film's static-cling side, you go through the same process of cleaning it all over again unless you are lucky enough not to have a single dust on the first try. :) i hope this humble how-to helps.

spaztaz

Jul 8, 2007
it's easy to clean and re-apply the film. at least try it out first before buying another one. once you get the hang of it, re-applying becomes a snap.

1st thing you do is go to run your hot shower so the air will have some stream. this makes all the floating dust settle on the surfaces of the room/bathroom. (i know this sounds funny but believe me it works) then clean your lcd thoroughly with a lint-free cloth like the microfiber cloths for eye glasses.

then comes cleaning the film:
1st option to clean would be like the instructions said which is to run the static-cling side under a small stream of running water. make sure to hold the film by the sides to avoid getting fingerprints in the cling side. flick it lightly to release most of the water droplets

2nd option to cleaning the film which i personally prefer is to lay the film flat on the surface with the static-cling side facing up towards you. then use scotch tape and use several stick-&-remove procedures across the film to clean it. repeat until all the dust sticks to the tape.

after cleaning, carefuly align the film on your phone. apply it starting from 1 side going to the opposite end. i usually start at the home button side. (starting from the middle usually leads to misaligned applications) then use a credit card to iron out the bubbles from the center out towards the edges. finish off the ironing by using the cleaning cloth.

i have applied this technique on several iPhones, PDAs, DS, and other touch screen lcds over the years. some may say just replace the old one with a new film but same rules apply since if dust starts clinging to the new film's static-cling side, you go through the same process of cleaning it all over again unless you are lucky enough not to have a single dust on the first try. :) i hope this humble how-to helps.
beat me to the punch! scotch tape works WONDERS with screen protectors. if you mess up an installation, use scotch tape to "pick off" dust and smudges. believe me, its the best thing to use for cleaning screen protectors of any kind, as well as fixing messed up installs. hope this helps :)

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
beat me to the punch! scotch tape works WONDERS with screen protectors. if you mess up an installation, use scotch tape to "pick off" dust and smudges. believe me, its the best thing to use for cleaning screen protectors of any kind, as well as fixing messed up installs. hope this helps :)

I would also try using Masking Tape. With my experience, SOMETIMES not all the time, Scotch tape will leave a sticky residue that will be obvious or hard to see. Masking tape isn't as sticky but will do the job at lifting the dust. I've also seen someone mention a rollover lint remover. I haven't tried it but the concept sounds good. I'd think the lint remover would be helpful to roll over your iPhone to pick up dust off of it before applying the new film......Just my 2 cents.:laugh2:

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Lint roller, get it all in one swipe, plus it sticks to it until you're ready to apply it. Plus the shower thing. Dang dust:mad:.

Jul 14, 2008
my friend used the film before on her original iPhone and i just got it on my new 3g and now she said that she thinks it has an effect on the touchscreen and made her less sensitive to touch.. has anyone heard of this before?

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
its so much easier to apply screen protectors using water. just wet the static side a tiny bit and wipe the wtaer around a lil bit with your clean finger so the water covers most of the side but don't us etoo much water you don't wnat to damage your phone by getting water in it. then place the screen protecter on and slide it into place because it slides easily across the surface. when you find the position you want just let it sit and dry for a little while. theyre might be little water spots in it but they will dry out over a few days

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
The shower idea is recommended by most companies that sell the skins for the iPhone, but i always get sweaty while i try to apply the film,