Anticipate App Store too?

mikepdc

Jun 2, 2008
Do folks anticipate that an App Store announcement might come on June 9th along with the 3G announcement? I'd love to drop my Treo, but I need SyncML to connect with my work calendar. Synthesis suggests on their website that they're already developing an iPhone client to be ready once Apple offers software distribution through iTunes.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I think the App Store will be announced, but don't know when it will officially be up and running. IMHO there will be an iTunes update on 6/9 with a hand full of apps. Maybe even a couple of free ones. Of course the free ones will be lame in comparison to what's to come but hey free.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I just want an app that can display ppt files. We've seen every file under the sun able to be viewed on the iPhone via 3rd party apps but this one!

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Do folks anticipate that an App Store announcement might come on June 9th along with the 3G announcement? I'd love to drop my Treo, but I need SyncML to connect with my work calendar. Synthesis suggests on their website that they're already developing an iPhone client to be ready once Apple offers software distribution through iTunes.
That's an interesting question. If the new iPhone isn't available immediately, will the App Store and new OS/firmware be delayed too? Almost seems they would have to be available at the same time.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
The new firmware will be on the next gen iPhone when it's released. Apple won't release the next gen iPhone with some other software, since I'm sure it's going to start with 2.0 or 2.0.x. I could definitely see Apple releasing the next gen iPhone on June 9th with firmware 2.0, but not releasing it for current models until later in the month. They did that with the Apple TV Take 2 firmware, if memory serves.

Joe

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
i cant wait for the app store. if its awesome on the current iPhone, that may be a reason just to keep the current
Since I already have a Curve, and an iPhone, the current iPhone will have the same software minus other new features the new iPhone will have, im going to keep my current iPhone and start using it as a phone again when the update comes out. I think the app store will make this phones user experience a lot better.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well here's a question to folks here who have the SDK and have been developing apps:

Have you heard anything from Apple about the actual submission process? Has it begun?

An Appstore isn't worth much without any apps. Perhaps only the big players get in first?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i do remember hearing someone official say that there would be apps available in the store at launch.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
The new firmware will be on the next gen iPhone when it's released. Apple won't release the next gen iPhone with some other software, since I'm sure it's going to start with 2.0 or 2.0.x. I could definitely see Apple releasing the next gen iPhone on June 9th with firmware 2.0, but not releasing it for current models until later in the month. They did that with the Apple TV Take 2 firmware, if memory serves.

Joe
that really does make a lot more sense, so theyd have to release the new firmware at the same time or before the 3g phone

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
i look forward to the apps store as I hope the have an app for streaming internet radio like KFI would be awesome!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I remember reading somewhere that some Apps would be available immediately. Hopefully the good ones. Read: SlingPlayer.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
An Appstore isn't worth much without any apps. Perhaps only the big players get in first?
That is my guess. Like I said earlier, there might be one or two teaser freebies but I think the big boys will get first crack and then trickle in the rest.