Antivirus needed for MacBook Air?

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Bought my daughter a MacBook Air for Christmas. Never had a Mac of any kind before. Should we an antivirus program?

Any other security tips for a new comer to the Mac world? I

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I've owned many Macs over the past 10 years. We currently have multiple iMacs, MacBooks and a Mac Pro and I have never run antivirus protection on any of them and have never had a problem with a single virus.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I've never bought anti-virus for Mac and I've been using Macs since the early 90s. If you are looking for a good housekeeping app, I highly recommend CleanMyMac 2 from MacPaw. I use it regularly and it does a fantastic job keeping things tidy. I never have any concerns that it's going to go rogue and delete important personal or OS files.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I found the firewall setting and turned it on, any other security settings I should be aware of? If my daughter lets me see it that is.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
in this day and age with hacking the way it is. i would just get it just in case, you can never have too much protection.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
in this day and age with hacking the way it is. i would just get it just in case, you can never have too much protection.
Are you a Mac user? Do you use an antivirus program on a Mac? It's not really necessary unless you're pirating software.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What about pirating music?
It's pretty unlikely that that would cause a problem, but it depends on the way you're downloading it. If you give it your password after downloading music, it could have actually been malware program that you downladed. MP3s never require installation, so you're not providing your master password. If you install pirated software, you give it your password and it could have bundled malware that installs along with it.