Any AT&T people have problems with your iPhone 5 getting stuck on Edge?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I e been noticing this happen more and more frequently to me. Today it has happened at least three times. I can force it to get back on 4G or LTE by turning on and off airplane mode, but that is getting real old.

No, I haven't tried a restore yet. Checking other people's experiences before messing with that.

Now that I think about it, I haven't tried resetting network settings. Maybe I'll do that tonight...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I would reset the network settings. I've never had that particular problem, but doing that has fixed other network problems for me in the past.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
One thing to make note of, when resetting network settings you will loose all of the saved WiFi connections you have made in the past and will need to re-enter the passwords for them as they are again encountered. Not a big deal but something you should be aware of so it doesn't surprise you and you start to wonder if there isn't something else is wrong with the phone when it happens.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I have not had any problems, but my wife's 5 has had the documented "No SIM card installed" problem. I have to go to AT&T store soon to get a new SIM card for her...

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I've been experiencing inconsistencies with my signal as well.

My LTE performance on AT&T has been extremely disappointing. But I'm not willing to take my phone in to an Apple Store and get a "refurbished" model. So I'll just wait for the 5S. Incidentally, I'm nearly always within the reach of Wi-Fi, so it doesn't affect me much if my LTE speeds are extremely sub-par.

ednygma

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 9, 2009
Louisville, KY
My LTE connection has been solid in Kentucky. Rarely hit 4G anymore. But I know other AT&T users in other locales that have issues but they are not in LTE markets.

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
I noticed it today. I went into an office building and my phone went to EDGE. When I came out, it took a while for it to go back to LTE. But it did eventually go back on its own.

Sent from the baddest smartphone on the planet, my white 64GB iPhone 5.

Redbull2000

Bronze
Dec 4, 2012
Minnapolis
Had it happen at MN, went to the store they switched different SIM card, then got better. Still happen once a while. Always inside the building.

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Today I got a popup saying that my carrier settings were updated. I've never seen this popup before. I'm assuming it just means that AT&T updated their settings. But today while in the car I saw my iPhone was on 4G which was a first for me. It usually would always be on LTE until I get back home on my WiFi.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Today I got a popup saying that my carrier settings were updated. I've never seen this popup before. I'm assuming it just means that AT&T updated their settings. But today while in the car I saw my iPhone was on 4G which was a first for me. It usually would always be on LTE until I get back home on my WiFi.
That update was for the Government alerts. Check Setting, notifications.
You'll see the 2 you can toggle off at the bottom.
Presidential alerts can't be toggled off.

vanyas

Aug 24, 2013
I hardly ever use LTE I always use 4G I mean yeah I geuss faster is better but not when it's not that much faster

Sent using iCafe app