Any AT&T people have problems with your iPhone 5 getting stuck on Edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by acosmichippo, May 22, 2013.

1. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I e been noticing this happen more and more frequently to me. Today it has happened at least three times. I can force it to get back on 4G or LTE by turning on and off airplane mode, but that is getting real old.

No, I haven't tried a restore yet. Checking other people's experiences before messing with that.

Now that I think about it, I haven't tried resetting network settings. Maybe I'll do that tonight...

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I would reset the network settings. I've never had that particular problem, but doing that has fixed other network problems for me in the past.

3. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I've been experiencing inconsistencies with my signal as well.

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

One thing to make note of, when resetting network settings you will loose all of the saved WiFi connections you have made in the past and will need to re-enter the passwords for them as they are again encountered. Not a big deal but something you should be aware of so it doesn't surprise you and you start to wonder if there isn't something else is wrong with the phone when it happens.

5. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I have not had any problems, but my wife's 5 has had the documented "No SIM card installed" problem. I have to go to AT&T store soon to get a new SIM card for her...

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I haven't been stuck on Edge, but have seen it with more regularity. Of note, we received LTE about 2 months ago.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

My LTE performance on AT&T has been extremely disappointing. But I'm not willing to take my phone in to an Apple Store and get a "refurbished" model. So I'll just wait for the 5S. Incidentally, I'm nearly always within the reach of Wi-Fi, so it doesn't affect me much if my LTE speeds are extremely sub-par.

8. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

My LTE connection has been solid in Kentucky. Rarely hit 4G anymore. But I know other AT&T users in other locales that have issues but they are not in LTE markets.

9. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

I noticed it today. I went into an office building and my phone went to EDGE. When I came out, it took a while for it to go back to LTE. But it did eventually go back on its own.

Sent from the baddest smartphone on the planet, my white 64GB iPhone 5.

10. Redbull2000

Redbull2000 Member
    Bronze

Had it happen at MN, went to the store they switched different SIM card, then got better. Still happen once a while. Always inside the building.

Sent using iCafe app

11. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

It happened once to me.

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Today I got a popup saying that my carrier settings were updated. I've never seen this popup before. I'm assuming it just means that AT&T updated their settings. But today while in the car I saw my iPhone was on 4G which was a first for me. It usually would always be on LTE until I get back home on my WiFi.

13. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

That update was for the Government alerts. Check Setting, notifications.
    You'll see the 2 you can toggle off at the bottom.
    Presidential alerts can't be toggled off.

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That's an interesting update. Do you say there are Presidential alerts? Is this new? I've never received those alerts.

Sent using iCafe app

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You haven't? The President talks to me all the time. So does my nasal spray.

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

So the Presidential alerts are real? Because I've never gotten them. The real question is, would I really want the President to talk to me all the time? I'd say only if he can guaranty me a successful job after college.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

If he told you to duck because of an impending nuclear attack, you might appreciate it. :)

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

VERY true. I would appreciate that. So that being said, are the Presidential alerts the emergency alerts? I'm so confused! :p

19. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

The Presidential Alerts are like the Emergency Broadcast System used in radio & TV, but for the phones.

20. vanyas

vanyas New Member

I hardly ever use LTE I always use 4G I mean yeah I geuss faster is better but not when it's not that much faster

Sent using iCafe app