Any changes to screen resolution on iPhone 6S?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Ddrumbum, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Ddrumbum

Ddrumbum Member
    Bronze

Apple must have done something with the screen resolution on the 6S plus. I have the 6 plus and I am comparing both phones, watching the same movie on netflix(Exeter)and the resolution on the 6S plus is so much better. Deeper blacks, more vibrant colors, more depth and just sharper detail. Or am I just loosing my mind?

2. jareknyc

jareknyc Member
    Silver

What you comparing it to?

#2 jareknyc, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015
  3. Ddrumbum

Ddrumbum Member
    Bronze

The 6 plus

4. Ddrumbum

Ddrumbum Member
    Bronze

Sorry I have both the 6 plus and 6S plus

5. jareknyc

jareknyc Member
    Silver

I had them both, didn't really look at the screen side by side but I love my iPhone 6s Plus it's fast that finger print reader is crazy fast...

6. Ddrumbum

Ddrumbum Member
    Bronze

It is! I can't put the damn thing down since I got it.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The resolution on the 6 Plus and the 6s Plus is the same: 1920 x 1080.

So is everything else about the displays, on the surface, at least according to what Apple is telling us:

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 8.01.39 AM.png

I still don't understand why the contrast ratio has to be slightly better on the smaller-screen (non-Plus) version of both the 6 and 6s. But it's a tiny difference, perhaps undiscernible.

#7 Rafagon, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  8. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Either due to the higher resolution screen blocking out more of the light than the lower resolution screen, or due to a higher black level. The more pixels you cram in there, the more light you have to shove through to get the same brightness, so either they've stopped just short of the same brightness level to save battery, or the brighter backlight is raising the black level.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

What color is your iPhone 6 Plus and what color is the 6S Plus? I had the silver 6 Plus and went to the 6S Plus in Space grey and it seems to me that the colors are better but I figured it was due to the black front on the new phone.

10. Ddrumbum

Ddrumbum Member
    Bronze

I have a gold 6 plus and silver 6S plus

11. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I'm not sure if it's the camera or the display but the colors are way off. Apple is known to be pretty accurate when it comes to its displays so this concerns me. Anybody else notice?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443457677.586622.jpg

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

What was that on your iPhone's screen at the moment you took the photo… the view through the viewfinder, or the final, captured photo? Ignore that, it's obviously the viewfinder since all the options are listed (Slow-Mo, Video, Photo, etc.). I was experiencing a brainfart. So, if you tap and take the photo, does it get better? Maybe what the viewfinder shows is only meant to be a preview, and not representative of the final results after the photo is snapped.

I also noticed you had HDR off… what if you allow HDR to do a bit of fixing-upping? :) Does it get any better?

#12 Rafagon, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  13. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

That's what I'm trying to figure out if it's the display or camera. HDR isn't live because it has to capture multiple exposures to produce an HDR image. The live image on the display just seems muted compared to real life. If the live image is not representative of true life colors, it will be difficult to perform color correction to get optimum results for the final image. A good example is Samsung OLED displays which are over saturated so what may seem like a colorful photo may not be true if viewed on a color corrected display.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Upload the pic to your computer and view it.

15. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I can try that when I get home.

16. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

The other possibility is you're getting higher bitrate video from netflix on the 6S+ as opposed to the 6+.

17. Ddrumbum

Ddrumbum Member
    Bronze

I was thinking maybe that was the case. Watching anything on my new 6S plus looks better than my iPad Air 2 as well!