Any concerns over refurbished iPad 3 vs. iPad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad 3' started by talon90, Nov 27, 2012.

1. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Looking for the community opinion. I currently have an iPad 2 and use it nonstop for work, email, web surfing and media. My only regret is that I only bought a 16GB model. I'm going to sell this iPad and upgrade. In checking out the Apple site, they have some great deals on refurbished iPad 3 models. I have some hesitation over buying a refurb unit and was looking for opinions. The plan is to bump up to a 64 GB model Wifi only and If I go with the refurb, there's a $150.00 savings. Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share over purchase of a refurb? Anyone have strong opinions about iPad 3 vs. iPad 4.

Paul

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

If I were in the market for a new iPad 3 or 4 I would definitely purchase a refurbished 3 direct from Apple if the price was right..

Do you need or want the new connector? If not then I would snag the 3 and save the $150.. The 4 will have better resale later down the line and the 4 does offer a bit more in terms of future proofing..

Refurbished devices are just as good as new ones in my opinion and they still come with a full warranty so you are basically loosing nothing by purchasing one..

I'd say if you don't need the new connector then go for it!

My .02

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

I purchased a refurb iMac last year and it's been great. Apple does an excellent job with their refurbs and they look as good as new and carry the same warranty as a new product.

Since it sounds like your use your iPad a lot, I would recommend going with the newest model so it "lasts" longer in terms of performance. I've heard some say that there is a noticeable performance difference between the two models and if you already have an iPhone 5, having another Lightning cable in the house is not something to overlook, as weird as that may sound. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Apple refurbished devices carry the same exact warranty as new devices..

#4 raqball, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  5. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

#5 Marianne, Nov 27, 2012
  6. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

He is trolling..

Read his previous posts where 1st he said he had an iPad 3 then said he had an iPad 4 then said he had an iPad 2.. After I called him out on it he claimed his account here was 'hacked'.. LOLOL

2 weeks ago with his 1st post he said he was new to iPads, didn't know where the screen Auto-Lock setting was and complained about the iPad not coming with a user manual.. Since then and depending on which iPad is being asked about, he has it.. If someone asks about the iPad 4, he has a 4.. If someone asks about the iPad 3, he has a 3 and if someone asks about an iPad 2, well, he has that one all of the sudden as well.. It's really kind of comical to read..

In 2 weeks he has went from knowing nothing about the iPad at all to an expert on all things iPad related be it warranty, refurbished devices, which to buy ect.. It has to be the greatest 2 week turn around in iOS history!

I am slightly shocked he has not posted how great and glorious the Samsung Galaxy Tabs are in this thread yet..

Some things just make you giggle.. :)

7. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

First, I'm not your little forum friend.

Second, why would you even bother to reply in this thread if you have no direct experience with Apple's refurbished products? Not to mention that you said you don't even buy refurbished items at all. Why on earth do you think you'd even have an informed opinion to share here? If talon90 has any sense -- and I think he does -- he wouldn't take anything you say here seriously in any way, shape, or form. I know I'm not.

Third, I'm thinking raqball is right at this point.

#7 Marianne, Nov 27, 2012
  8. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I think anyone who reads through your post history will easily see what you are doing here and I don't recall making any "attacks" against you, it's not my nature to do so..

At any rate, I really wish the block feature worked in the iCafe app as I have no desire to read the utter garbage you post any longer..

I won't respond to you again but I will call you out if your games, misinformation, and deceitful posts continue..

Have a nice day! :)

#8 raqball, Nov 27, 2012
  9. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

You totally missed my point. Your opinion here is like saying you think Kuala Lumpur is the ugliest city in the world when you've never been there or even seen pictures of it in response to someone asking whether or not it's a good place to visit.

#9 Marianne, Nov 27, 2012
  10. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Yawn...

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

To the OP:

Refurbished Apple devices carry the exact same warranty as a new iPad..

Contrary to the ramblings of one person, Apple does not farm out refurbished devices to anyone for repair / recertification and they certainly do not use parts in them that are not approved. The parts used in a refurbished device are exactly the same as the parts used in a new device.

Some refurbished devices may have simply been returned to Apple because the user either did not like the device or the user returned it and purchased one with more memory ect.. Apple can't sell these as new since the packaging was open even if the original purchaser used it for 30 seconds before deciding he / she wanted one with more memory..

The bottom line and to try and answer your question, refurbished devices are every bit as good and backed by Apple as one that is brand new in box on a store shelf..

The real and only question in my opinion is if you want a 3 or a 4.. If a 3 fits the bill then I would buy a refurbished device from Apple without a second thought..

I played a small part in your thread getting sidetracked and for my part, I apologize but I can't sit by and let someone put out false and flat out bogus information.. Even moreso when the user spewing garbage is obviously on a hidden agenda..

Whatever direction you decide to go, refurbished or not, I am sure you will be pleased!

11. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Personally, if you use it a ton for work, etc I would go for the iPad 4. The processor alone is worth it. You also kind of future proof yourself. The extra money spent now is worth it especially if you should sell it in the future to get the iPad 5 or 6.
    As far as refurbs, I never have a problem with them. If you do get a bogus one take it back and try another. If that one is still a problem then take it back and buy a new one.

12. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful and detailed posts. Raqball, no worries. Latest technology won out. in the end, faster processor and better camera won me over. Thanks for helping me set aside some of my concerns.

I picked up the brand new 4 at the Apple store. Kind of a fun purchase while we're away on vacation here in Hawaii. Funny also, I managed to sell my iPad 2 to a friend at home before I had even made it back to the hotel from the Apple store. With as much as I use this when traveling I decided to go with the latest processor and Marianne and others made good points about getting on the same Lightning adapter as my iPhone 5 and having an extra cable around the house.

It is noticeably faster than my iPad 2 and I didn't realize how much of a difference the Retina display would make in the larger form factor of the iPad. It was nice on the phone but it is amazing on the iPad.

iCloud continues to amaze. In about 30 minutes at the Apple store I had my new iPad all moved over from my cloud backup. Love it!

Thanks again for the help.

Paul

13. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I cannot speak from personal experience with a refurb iPad but several friends have had them and I have had two refurb iPhones and not one of us has had any issues with them.

14. laughjimbo

laughjimbo Member
    Bronze

Just to add my story for anyone else thinking Apple refurb, I have purchased a MacBook Pro 13 and a Mac Mini from the refurb store directly from Apple and I can say that you cannot tell that they are refurbs. Great quality!