Any doctors out there.....

no pain

Jun 23, 2007
The one program that I really miss from my Treo is Epocrates. Anybody know any work arounds to quickly look up drug doses etc.

Plus, I use to have PocketLingo, a 3rd party dictionary, anyone know a quick way to look up words?

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The one program that I really miss from my Treo is Epocrates. Anybody know any work arounds to quickly look up drug doses etc.

Plus, I use to have PocketLingo, a 3rd party dictionary, anyone know a quick way to look up words?
I know what you you mean, i use to have like 20+ books in my Treo for my practice. But i still don't know of any way to get those books on the iPhone, am sure later on will be something out there.

dochobbs

Jul 7, 2007
I've been using uptodate on safari. I suspect epocrates could be used this way also, but I'm sure not as quickly as the app on the treo.

gurvy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I've been using uptodate on safari. I suspect epocrates could be used this way also, but I'm sure not as quickly as the app on the treo.
I spoke with Epocrates and they are yet to develop compatibility with the blackberry's, so forget about the iPhone.
As far as using something as a reference, I suggest UpToDate online. I have been using it using the Safari browser.
The thing that I still miss is a medical calculator...I am using the internet for that too!

no pain

Jun 23, 2007
I spoke with Epocrates and they are yet to develop compatibility with the blackberry's, so forget about the iPhone.
As far as using something as a reference, I suggest UpToDate online. I have been using it using the Safari browser.
The thing that I still miss is a medical calculator...I am using the internet for that too!
are you using it on the iPhone? the website is down right now so i can't check it out. is it fast enough to use while seeing patients in an office setting?

gurvy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
are you using it on the iPhone? the website is down right now so i can't check it out. is it fast enough to use while seeing patients in an office setting?
using it with edge so not as fast as I would like, but it serves the purpose. Takes some getting used to. Overall, I give it a 7 out of 10.

pemarsh

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
i just use a regular pda with PEPID installed on it....very very great program for EM.

SCHMEGGA

Jul 2, 2007
I have several skyscape programs for anesthesia that I now use sparingly, simply because with wi-fi in the OR's I can usually find any info I need simply by Googling it on the iPhone. Maybe some day we will have widgets we can add for those programs.

no pain

Jun 23, 2007
i am anesthesiologist too but do only pain in an office setting. the only thing i need is to be able to look up the occasional new drug or the dosing of older drugs - otherwise i rarely have to look up anything.
epocrates was so easy....

tadrewcook

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Honolulu, HI
How about Rxlist.com?

I use it in the field occasionally when I'm going over a patient's Rx's.

It's not the fastest in the world but it does have common meds on the main page and I've never NOT been able to find something on there if I didn't know what it was.

dongtea

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
To bad epocrates doesn't just make a "lite" version with few graphics and features so that we can get to the data. I hate to pay for something else now. I may just get a cheap Palm, but if something else comes out that competes with epocrates and is iPhone compatible, then I'm there in a heartbeat.

no pain

Jun 23, 2007
To bad epocrates doesn't just make a "lite" version with few graphics and features so that we can get to the data. I hate to pay for something else now. I may just get a cheap Palm, but if something else comes out that competes with epocrates and is iPhone compatible, then I'm there in a heartbeat.
I agree. This would seem to be a good example of the limitations of web based applications. The speed necessary to look up a drug just can't be achieved easily using web based apps - even if there are very few graphics. On my Treo I could look up drugs in less than 1 min and know everything i needed - it was so easy and useful. Apple has got to allow some 3rd party apps to be loaded directly on the iPhone.:(

gurvy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I agree. This would seem to be a good example of the limitations of web based applications. The speed necessary to look up a drug just can't be achieved easily using web based apps - even if there are very few graphics. On my Treo I could look up drugs in less than 1 min and know everything i needed - it was so easy and useful. Apple has got to allow some 3rd party apps to be loaded directly on the iPhone.:(
i agree. the other thing i tried over the weekend was logging on to epocrates, just as long as uptodate, but atleast it give you access to the medications quicker than uptodate does.

Josh

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
I'm a paramedic and I just don't have the time to sit and wait on edge to load uptodate or anything else for that matter. I used to use PEPID on my dell axim and am still looking for something as reliable for the iPhone. I think it's going to be a long while until we get something worthwhile that isn't used in safari.

Jun 18, 2007
Lexi-Comp

I'm a pharmacy student. I would love to have Lexi-Comp for when I go on rotations. But by the time Apple opens up 3rd party apps, then the development time (if it happens) I will be done with school by then. Plus, they charge an arm and a leg. May end up buying a used PDA but I don't really want to carry two devices. *sigh* And looking things up on the iPhone would be so intuitive and the long monographs would be so readable.

no pain

Jun 23, 2007
I'm a pharmacy student. I would love to have Lexi-Comp for when I go on rotations. But by the time Apple opens up 3rd party apps, then the development time (if it happens) I will be done with school by then. Plus, they charge an arm and a leg. May end up buying a used PDA but I don't really want to carry two devices. *sigh* And looking things up on the iPhone would be so intuitive and the long monographs would be so readable.
agree - the screen in so legible and so easy to navigate it would be awesome - ugh! what a wasted opportunity!

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
I am a medic also, I had the EMS Field Guide and a PDR reference on a palm PDA I owned. It would be awesome if they developed one for the iPhone. Just like you said earlier, the phone is easily navigable that the interface would be awesome. I wonder if any developers have developed "widgets" or whatever they announced at WWDC that developers would be allowed to make... It would be interesting to find out where we could request one...

tadrewcook

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I would imagine something will be developed 3rd party, maybe HTML. I used a medic field guide on my Ipaq quite a bit for calcs and some of the more common doses. It would be nice to have an all-inclusive field guide made for the iPhone at some point.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Good thread...I suspect a lot of people in the medical field are interested in the iPhone, (including myself) and are worried that it won't be able to replace our Treos with Epocrates and other Medical apps.
UpToDate online is always a good resource that will work via Safari, but if anyone else knows of an Epocrates / Drug Resource that works online (preferably free) please post!