Any FM Transmitters work in the Car?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mordred

Jul 24, 2007
VA
Monster iCarPlay Wireless FM Transmitter/Charger for iPod

I read in some thread that someone was able to use this device (Monster iCarPlay) and its working just fine. So I purchased one, just got it today and was so glad that it did work. But that was at my garage and for a few min only. I'll try it on my way to work tomorrow and will post any updates if I notice anything worth informing you guys.

Hope this helps. :laugh2:

TomTomTuning

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Camp Hill, PA
Wow strange, i came on here today to post up about a FM transmitter i just got today. and to find out what devices people have had good luck with.

I went on a road trip today and i thought it would be great to listen to my music in the car, so i stoped at walmart and got this device.

Macally FM Cup
Site: http://mitsubishimontero.com/spec/ipod/fmcup.html
Price: 59.00

It worked with my iPhone, but I HAVE BUZZ !

I can only use it with airport turned on.
So don't get this unless you don't mind not getting any phone calls.

I plan on trying the "Monster iCarPlay" soon, after i return this FMCup.

Other then the buzz, i love how it holds the iPhone, instead of it just laying around. And it fits great inside my cupholder..

bad1550

Aug 13, 2007
I picked up the Monster Wireless FM Transmitter and it does work but I get a lot of static. I tried various channels with no luck.

Bob

Mordred

Jul 24, 2007
VA
I read in some thread that someone was able to use this device (Monster iCarPlay) and its working just fine. So I purchased one, just got it today and was so glad that it did work. But that was at my garage and for a few min only. I'll try it on my way to work tomorrow and will post any updates if I notice anything worth informing you guys.

Hope this helps. :laugh2:
bad1550 said:
I picked up the Monster Wireless FM Transmitter and it does work but I get a lot of static. I tried various channels with no luck.
Same here bad1550 unless I set my Airplane mode which makes it a lot better. Bottom line, it does work (play music and charge the phone) but renders your phone useless. I guess while there is no such a device out there, this will do for now. :cool:

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I have used the monster cable with great results. First time i tried using it i did it with airplane mode on and the second time with it off and i only got static once or twice....

bad1550

Aug 13, 2007
I picked up the DLO TransDock micro and it works great - no static.

Unfortunately it broke when I pulled it out of cigarette lighter. Its not made very well.

TomTomTuning

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Camp Hill, PA
So i took back the iTrip, and got the Belkin TuneFM'

Site:http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=257339
Price: 50.00

It work's, but there is some buzz. Not as much as the FMcup.

When connected to the iPhone, it comes up and displays "iPod Accessory"
But does not allow you to change the options, or even see them.

You have to search your channels until you find the one that its playing on. Since it normally displays the channel on the iPod.
(and it doesn't work on the iPhone)

And if the preset channel isn't the best quality, you make the changes on the device, then you have to search for the channel again.

I will keep this one, until i can find a better one.
Or i get a new head unit. And hope it works for the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

bad1550

Aug 13, 2007
So i took back the iTrip, and got the Belkin TuneFM'

Site:http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=257339
Price: 50.00

It work's, but there is some buzz. Not as much as the FMcup.

When connected to the iPhone, it comes up and displays "iPod Accessory"
But does not allow you to change the options, or even see them.

You have to search your channels until you find the one that its playing on. Since it normally displays the channel on the iPod.
(and it doesn't work on the iPhone)

And if the preset channel isn't the best quality, you make the changes on the device, then you have to search for the channel again.

I will keep this one, until i can find a better one.
Or i get a new head unit. And hope it works for the iPhone.
I tried the following:

Monster FM Transmitter
Griffen iTrip
DLO TransDock Micro

The Monster had static and was not clear
The iTrip did not work at all
The DLO Transdock Micro works best - Great Sound and no static

My 1st one broke and I had to exchange it today but it still IMO the best device as of right now for best sound.

Last edited by a moderator:

TomTomTuning

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Camp Hill, PA
I tried the following:

Monster FM Transmitter
Griffen iTrip
DLO TransDock Micro

The Monster had static and was not clear
The iTrip did not work at all
The DLO Transdock Micro works best - Great Sound and no static

My 1st one broke and I had to exchange it today but it still IMO the best device as of right now for best sound.
yes the Belkin had static... and little Buzz (Static meaning like "SHHHHHHHH")
It wasn't that bad, And you only notice it between tracks or if the song's volume is low

I will have to try this DLO Transdock. Where did you get it?
Retail store, which one?

bad1550

Aug 13, 2007
yes the Belkin had static... and little Buzz (Static meaning like "SHHHHHHHH")
It wasn't that bad, And you only notice it between tracks or if the song's volume is low

I will have to try this DLO Transdock. Where did you get it?
Retail store, which one?
I picked it up at Best Buy!

Please let me know your thoughts if you pick one up.

Bob

Jul 20, 2007
I got the Monster icarplay.

It charges the phone, and music plays, but at a relatively low volume, which gives static on all their preselected stations. My wife's ipod plays great on it.

Does anyone know WHY the ipod FM accessories don't work on the iPhone through the dock connector? What's the technical reason, and what's the engineering reason they weren't made compatible?

BTW, my bose speaker dock works great in airplane mode, and my nephew's logic3 original istation works perfectly as well.

minoba82

Jul 30, 2007
I have a Kensington FM Transmitter that works great with my iPhone (don't have to put it in Airplane mode). It connects using the dock connector and charges my iPhone too. It works just as well as it does with my Nano.

minoba82

Jul 30, 2007
FYI, this is the fm transmitter that I have. Obviously, there are moments I get some static, but for the most part it works great. I've used it driving from GA and SC and probably only have to change the station once or twice, sometimes I don't have to change it at all.