Any IT/computer science people here?

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
So in this difficult economic time I made a difficult but necessary decision to quit my job of 7 years to stay home with my medically fragile son. Well I'm taking the opportunity to go back to school and I'm just trying to figure out which route to go.

My first question is IT pros what certifications have benefitted you the most, what are your overall opinions of the importance of the certs? What field did you go into? What does the IT job market look like where you're at?

I am a certified pharmacy technician with no interest in making it a career although I've spent a decade doing it. Just looking for some insight.

Sent using iCafe app

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
Boy, I wish I could help. But I'm not involved at all in hiring. I only steal experienced resources from elsewhere in the organization. I'll ask around.

My thoughts are with you.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Boy, I wish I could help. But I'm not involved at all in hiring. I only steal experienced resources from elsewhere in the organization. I'll ask around.

My thoughts are with you.

What do you, if you don't mind me asking?

Sent using iCafe app

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm not in that field anymore, but I was for 15+ years. I did a pretty good range of certs over the years and generally found the most useful were those from Microsoft, Cisco, and one general security cert called the CEH or Certified Ethical Hacker.

As in most fields though, I found real life job experience even more important than any exams or certifications. I did an MCSE myself (and also an MCSE:Security) but I worked with a number of guys who had MCSEs and couldn't troubleshoot their way out of a paper bag.

So I guess one bit of advice I would offer is when you're training towards a cert do your very best to get as hands-on as you can - but cheap old machines, use virtual machines and simulators if you're not in a tech job yet, get as close as you can to being able to put theory into practice while learning.