Any letters from Apple's Lawyers Yet?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jcit

Sep 18, 2007
Canmore CANADA
Another website has been told that they are infringing on copywrite laws by having the word iPhone in their url. They have been told to stop using it and a name change on the url has happened... going with the name fone instead. Are there any troubles here yet @ everythingiPhone?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I hope not, as everythingifone.com seems to be taken.

But I'd hazard a guess they (Apple) are/were targeting site names like "hack" and "mod" both of which are now available in "ifone" flavors.

--
Mike

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
yeah, I got the email stating modmyiPhone is now modmyifone! How silly is this going to get?! Maybe "they" have replaced Jobs with a robot and the legal department is now running Apple. That would explain a few things...

Oct 9, 2007
yeah, I got the email stating modmyiPhone is now modmyifone! How silly is this going to get?! Maybe "they" have replaced Jobs with a robot and the legal department is now running Apple. That would explain a few things...

What are you talking about? Steve IS a robot! Always has been

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
yeah, I got the email stating modmyiPhone is now modmyifone! How silly is this going to get?!
Apple has always been very protective of their trademarks. And why shouldn't they?

If Apple feels a certain site is using its trademark in a defamatory way, they have every legal right to shut it down. I wouldn't be surprised if this was in part due to its relationship with AT&T.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Just more flame bait for the Apple bashers and yet another reason why Apple has a hard time breaking out of it's own niche confines.

I look at it this way, if Apple really was the "Apple" we all know and love, Woz would be in house, but he's not, its Jobs' house now. Its easy to tell the two Steves a part too, Jobs is the one WITHOUT the talent...

To quote Woz in regards to the iPhone "Why in the world can't I upload my ringtone that I made to it?" For the record, Woz uses a Razr for voice, and a Blackberry Pearl for everything else.

What does Grandpa Apple know that we don't?

listenclose

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Just more flame bait for the Apple bashers and yet another reason why Apple has a hard time breaking out of it's own niche confines.

I look at it this way, if Apple really was the "Apple" we all know and love, Woz would be in house, but he's not, its Jobs' house now. Its easy to tell the two Steves a part too, Jobs is the one WITHOUT the talent...

To quote Woz in regards to the iPhone "Why in the world can't I upload my ringtone that I made to it?" For the record, Woz uses a Razr for voice, and a Blackberry Pearl for everything else.

What does Grandpa Apple know that we don't?
Wozniak loves the iPhone. He uses the Razr for bluetooth and voice dial features, Pearl for mail and his iPhone for net browsing.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Apple doesn't own the trademark "iPhone". Cisco Networks does.

Cisco owns the iPhone trademark. We have since 2000, when we bought a company called Infogear Technology, which had developed a product that combined web access and telephone. Infogear’s registrations for the mark date to 1996, before iMacs and iPods were even glimmers in Apple’s eye. We shipped and/or supported that iPhone product for years. We have been shipping new, updated iPhone products since last spring, and had a formal launch late last year. Apple knows this; they approached us about the iPhone trademark as far back as 2001, and have approached us several times over the past year.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Promotion_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1165633244027&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

http://blogs.cisco.com/news/2007/01/update_on_ciscos_iphone_tradem.html

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Apple has always been very protective of their trademarks. And why shouldn't they?
Sure, sure. It's fine. IF that's what Apple was worried about.
If Apple feels a certain site is using its trademark in a defamatory way, they have every legal right to shut it down. I wouldn't be surprised if this was in part due to its relationship with AT&T.
modmyiPhone certainly wasn't defaming the iPhone. Trademark infringement had NOTHING to do with Apple targeting hacking/modding websites. It was all about those websites going against Apple's dictator philosophy.

If Apple was truly worried about trademark infringement, then all websites that had Apple trademarked names, including EIP and MacRumors, would have to change their names.