Any luck with Vista 64 Bit?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

donman

Jun 30, 2007
Landed an iPhone last night but can't get the damn thing to connect to my Vista 64bit (Ultimate) laptop.

Anyone have any ideas? I've followed the Apple doc on doing a clean uninstall of all the Apple apps (iTunes, QT, etc.) several times now and still no luck.

When I plug into the USB I get a warning that says:
The software required for iPhone is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again.

I know (now, after purchasing and opening the thing) that 64 bit is not officially supported by Apple.

Does anyone have any workarounds or has anyone with the 64 bit version of Vista been able to use this thing?

If not, I guess I'll have to return it to the store. Thanks in advance for any help.

donman

Jun 30, 2007
Update...

Just got in touch with someone at Apple support (about an hour hold time) and he said he was surprised that 64 bit wasn't supported and mentioned he got a memo this morning about it. He said Apple does not have any support for 64 bit operating systems and he didn't know of any plans to support these operating systems.

Additionally, he pointed me in the direction of trying to run it in 32-bit emulation mode (Didn't work) and also referred me to the Apple.com discussions link....

I guess this thing goes back to the store!

jwolthuis

Jun 29, 2007
The "Apple Mobile Device Support" program (which installs on 32-bit machines), doesn't get installed on 64-bit machines. This program is installed along with "iTunes" and "Apple Software Update" (which you can see from Control Panel>Programs and Features).

Apple Mobile Device Support is a 32-bit USB driver, needed for communications to iTunes. AFAIK, it's not available for x64.

Landed an iPhone last night but can't get the damn thing to connect to my Vista 64bit (Ultimate) laptop.

Anyone have any ideas? I've followed the Apple doc on doing a clean uninstall of all the Apple apps (iTunes, QT, etc.) several times now and still no luck.

When I plug into the USB I get a warning that says:
The software required for iPhone is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again.

I know (now, after purchasing and opening the thing) that 64 bit is not officially supported by Apple.

Does anyone have any workarounds or has anyone with the 64 bit version of Vista been able to use this thing?

If not, I guess I'll have to return it to the store. Thanks in advance for any help.

donman

Jun 30, 2007
Apple Mobile Device Support

Thanks for the info - i have verified that this is definitely not installed on my Vista 64 pc.

Do you know the name of the driver file? I wonder if i can install it on a friends XP machine and copy them over to my vista pc and try to run in 32 bit mode.

Thanks for your help!

donman

Jun 30, 2007
Ended up returning it

Well, I gave up and returned the iPhone on Sunday to my local Apple store.. they were very nice and didn't charge me the restocking fee as the box is mis/under labeled in regards to Vista support.

:(

Here's to hoping Apple comes up with a patch soon!

cheers,

Don

donman

Jun 30, 2007
numanuma

That is a great idea - just download Virtual Server (free) from Microsoft and install XP (not free) and then try to activate the iPhone.. I bet you could even share the directories of music purchased.

Anyone able to get iTunes/iPhone working under VMWare WindowsXP (with Vista64 host)?

numanuma

Jul 3, 2007
VMWare player2.0 won't work--yet...

Unfortunately, there's a bug in the latest VMWare2.0 player that keeps the new iTunes from communicating with the iPhone properly. This post says it's been patched and iTunes should be working with the new patch, but unsure when the release will be that contains it.
Note, the same unsupported platforms workaround can be used with different host environments, such as Linux once this is fixed.
http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=685490

That is a great idea - just download Virtual Server (free) from Microsoft and install XP (not free) and then try to activate the iPhone.. I bet you could even share the directories of music purchased.

regenter56

Jul 5, 2007
Has anyone tried

Here is an idea

-Uninstall iTunes
-Download iTunes 7.3
-right click on iTunes 7.3
-go properties
-under compatiblity have it run as Windows XP
-hit okay
-right click again
-Run as administrator

and try installing it

I have Windows Vista 64 on my main computer and im probably going to get the iPhone in the next couple of days

If u try this please post your results

Professor

Jul 4, 2007
The iPhone does not work on Windows 64-bit OS's at this time. I've tried several tricks, including the one you posted and the iPhone will not activate or be recognized. On one system the phone was recognized as a camera, but that was it.

briboynyc

Sep 25, 2007
VMware Workstation Workaround

any update on this? Workaround?
The good news...IT WORKS. I have Vista Ultimate 64bit and installed VMware Workstation v6.0.1. I then installed XP SP2 and the VMware tools. Once I did that the iPhone was detected by iTunes and it synced with my outlook. The only downside it VMware runs slow. I have 3gig ram and fastest Intel Centrino Pro and it was still slow

bigcat

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Last time I checked VMWare USB did not work with iPhone (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/91715?start=30&tstart=0).

Is 6.0.1 a recent vmware release? maybe I'll try that. I believe I have 6.0.0

The good news...IT WORKS. I have Vista Ultimate 64bit and installed VMware Workstation v6.0.1. I then installed XP SP2 and the VMware tools. Once I did that the iPhone was detected by iTunes and it synced with my outlook. The only downside it VMware runs slow. I have 3gig ram and fastest Intel Centrino Pro and it was still slow