Any news/leaks of new iPhone having MMS?

Jun 27, 2007
Sorry if this has been discussed - was just wondering if anyone has seen any news/info on whether the nextgen iPhone will have MMS support?

I tried doing a search, but of course, 3 letters is too short of a search term. (I hate it when VBulletin operators have that setting).

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Sorry if this has been discussed - was just wondering if anyone has seen any news/info on whether the nextgen iPhone will have MMS support?

I tried doing a search, but of course, 3 letters is too short of a search term. (I hate it when VBulletin operators have that setting).
it's pretty doubtful. Most likely it will have the same firmware as the current iPhone but be 3G and possibly some slight design tweaks. This is all opinion on my part of course, but I don't see it having MMS. I think it has as much, if not more to do with AT&T than it does with Apple.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
As aggie said, there's a slim chance the new iPhone will have MMS capabilities despite the fact that it's one of the most requested features. Maybe in time with the SDK there will be a native app that will allow for the easy sending and receiving of MMS messages.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i haven't heard any rumors, though i do believe it's probably more AT&T than Apple who is preventing this from being official. but i have to think, on the other hand, that AT&T could totally turn this into a revenue-generating opportunity if they want, just like they do with text messages. what if every plan comes with 50 MMS messages, and then you have to pay to get more all the way up to unlimited messages? not that i want to pay more for MMS messages, but it shouldn't be outside the realm of possibility like it seems to be now...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah I just can't see why AT&T would be the holdup on this one. Makes no sense.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Yeah I just can't see why AT&T would be the holdup on this one. Makes no sense.
the only thing that makes me think that is that AT&T has MMS disabled with our iPhone plans. I bought a Nokia N95-4 and I had to completely change my plan in order to get MMS to work with that phone. Now though I should be able to get MMS to work with Swirly MMS. haven't tried yet. But anyways, that leads me to believe that it is just as much on AT&T's end as it is the iPhone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well I think we have a bit of a chicken and egg syndrome here. I am of the understanding that AT&T removes MMS from the iPhone plan because the device doesn't support it, not the other way around. Like, turning off MMS enables the option to convert incoming MMS to that annoying viewmymessage.com SMS garbage.

AT&T has every reason in the world to be pushing for MMS on the iPhone. Considering how popular and media-rich the device is, they stand to make a killing from iPhone MMS usage.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Well I think we have a bit of a chicken and egg syndrome here. I am of the understanding that AT&T removes MMS from the iPhone plan because the device doesn't support it, not the other way around. Like, turning off MMS enables the option to convert incoming MMS to that annoying viewmymessage.com SMS garbage.

AT&T has every reason in the world to be pushing for MMS on the iPhone. Considering how popular and media-rich the device is, they stand to make a killing from iPhone MMS usage.
you may be right, I just don't understand while when earlier when I had an N95-3 and Tilt I was able to switch my sim card interchangably and was still able to send MMS on those devices and now I'm not able to. It's like AT&T went in and provisioned all the iPhone plans to not be able to. Maybe they got wind of swirlyMMS and decided to stop all people with iPhone plans from doing so. I can see Apple's point (although I don't agree with it) of not wanting MMS on phones and it's also why they don't allow us to attach files to emails from the phone. They don't want you to be able to send audio files back and forth between devices. Small ringtone files sent between users of course cuts down on their ringtone profits. Smaller song files able to be sent cuts down on song downloads from iTunes. We are deprived of features that are possible on just about every other phone out there because of their financial greed. I love the hell out of Apple but sometimes I hate them too.

I'm wondering though if the inability to attach a file to email will disappear with the 2.0 firmware. Most businesss users will not tolerate this as they have been able to do this freely on Treo's, WM devices, and BB's for years.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Many moons ago AT&T charged separately for MMS. But now, every message - whether it be a text or MMS - costs you the same. Everything counts as a single "message".

AT&T makes the money off the MediaNet usage your phone have to use to upload the photo in addition to the single message.

However, the iPhone has UNLIMITED "MediaNet (Internet)" usage, so I think At&T wouldn't make a penny off MMS with the iPhone.