Any news on 2.1?

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
We haven't heard much about the upcoming software update. There was more talk a few weeks ago, but nothing new has been announced or rumored the way updates usually are.

Apple does have an event coming up on September 9th. Anyone think they will use this as an opportunity to announce a new update or at least the coming of an update?

We should expect any of the following features: Bug fixes, the ability for apps to run "in the background," turn by turn directions for GPS, and a REAL attempt this time to improve reception.

mikef1182

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I don't know if well ever see apps run in the background. I sure hope so, but I don't think it will be anytime soon if at all.

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
maybe its going to be on the 9th in time for that special event thing..
but then again, it looks like an ipod refresh..

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
i posted this somewhere else and a developer responded and reminded me that Apple had taken out the push notification feature out of their newest seed, so who knows when it will become available, hopefully soon.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm sure that Apple is receiving a ton of complaints from all over the world in regards to the bugginess of the 2.0 software. I would imagine that Apple is working to come out with a firmware fix very soon, hopefully in time for the iPod announcement (if that is what it ends up being).

dieburnbot

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I can't wait for firmware 2.1. I've been checking google for new updates on it pretty much every other day and most of the sites have the same old information about push being taken out.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I hope it's soon. This texting lag is driving me crazy!
Though it is a small pain, did you know you can type 1 letter and then move the cursor back behind that letter and it types normal?

This helps out even though its only happened once to me since the new update a couple of weeks ago

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
i haven't heard any but it needs to hurry so i can go ahead and jailbreak.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I jailbroke it with 2.0.2 because I can't sit around and wait until 2.1 comes out and THEN wait for that to be jailbroken too. I really wanted my cycorder and winterboard, two things that ironically should have been provided by Jobs himself.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
correct me if I'm wrong but you will have to redo all of your themes and apps when you update correct?

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
correct me if I'm wrong but you will have to redo all of your themes and apps when you update correct?
Sadly yes. But it really doesn't take long unless you have a crazy amount of third party apps to reinstall.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
^^^

Interesting. I hope they fix most of the issues so this phone will really "shine". I can't wait to JB!

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
So if the article is true, waiting till the 11th or 12th to update might be a good course of action to not have another 2.0 fiasco again....