any news on 802.11 N?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
so... with all of the hubub regarding 3G, i haven't heard what kind of wifi capabilities iPhone2 will have... Seems to me to be quite an letdown for iPhone 1 to only be G...

anyone heard anything?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Ah I didn't think about the WiFi on the new iPhone. I've been wanting to get the Apple 802.11 N router but haven't gotten around to it yet. The Air has the N router but I haven't really noticed any significant distances on speed or distance but I'm still using a G router so hopefully there will be some notable performance differences.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i guess it in Apple's point of view, G is plenty fast for basic internet usage.

but it would help us jailbroken users quite a bit.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I don't think it'll be 802.11n. It's not necessary. The extra cost of the chip and possible additional battery drain doesn't make sense. Like others said, 801.11g is plenty fast.

Joe

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I have N on my home network and it actually runs faster than a wired 100Mbps network. I can average around 217Mbps when I am transferring files (128bit encryption). But I'm not sure how much faster it is when surfing the net, compared to the G standard?

But N does have improved range, and I mean vastly improved. I can now sit by the pool in my apartment complex and surf the net with about 4 bars (more bars in more places). With my G network, I couldn't get range out to the pool at all.

Would be great if the iPhone came with N, but I doubt if it will.

Ah I didn't think about the WiFi on the new iPhone. I've been wanting to get the Apple 802.11 N router but haven't gotten around to it yet. The Air has the N router but I haven't really noticed any significant distances on speed or distance but I'm still using a G router so hopefully there will be some notable performance differences.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, internet speeds won't be affected at all (really the fastest internet connection i've heard of is 15 Mbps, and that is INSANELY fast, and G transfers at 54 Mbps). So bumping up to N (which is typically around 300 Mbps) isn't going to help much.

but if you want to transfer files over your network (i.e. wifi syncing), N would help tremendously... in addition to improved range.