Any news on new firmware?

Braxxis

Mar 4, 2009
Naples, FL
I tried various ways to ask these questions with and without my "MMS gripe" in the post on the official forums, but those Admins are on Power trips and keep deleting my Topics, so I'll ask here.

Does anybody have any idea if Apple is working on a new firmware update? Has anyone also heard anything about them working on MMS? Landscape keyboard for SMS? The ability to Forward SMS like EVERY other phone out there? If Adobe has developed a Flash plug-in or plans on it?

Back on the MMS thing just because I need to vent :p. As a US iPhone user, I am VERY disappointed that the iPhone STILL lacks MMS capabilities in the US. I have been confused about the lack of and wanting MMS since the phone came out. It is supposedly one of the most advanced phones and it lacks one of the basic features even a 20 dollar phone has in it. I know whis would ONLY need a firmware update to enable so why has it not been done? And why are the UK, sweden, etc allowed to use the new App that Allows MMS but the US can not? Why are US users getting the shaft on this?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Unfortunately there is nothing but rumors to go on. Right now, they seem to indicate a possible new hardware revision this summer. That will definitely come with a new firmware update, but we could see something before that, too. The fact remains that no one knows but Apple and they're not giving any hints.

Braxxis

Mar 4, 2009
Naples, FL
yes.. kk thanks, was just curious if anythings been linked.. it really burns my buttons that other countries have an App to do True MMS, but here in the US we can't use it. I really don't understand the logic in that especially since virtually Every other phone has MMS capabilities, even the lower end 40 dollar phones lol.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
yes.. kk thanks, was just curious if anythings been linked.. it really burns my buttons that other countries have an App to do True MMS, but here in the US we can't use it. I really don't understand the logic in that especially since virtually Every other phone has MMS capabilities, even the lower end 40 dollar phones lol.

same gripe has been going on since june 2007. hopefully by now everyone knows before they buy the iPhone that it doesn't support MMS.

AS far as it working in other countries, well I guess we have AT&T to thank for that.

Skol312000

Dec 8, 2008
N
^ lol. Thata good one.. I think its Att at fault about the lack of MMS

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well a certain carrier over in Sweden received a TON of complaints from users about the lack of MMS. It was rumored that due to this the carrier contacted Apple and Apple was working on an MMS app specific to that carrier.

Braxxis

Mar 4, 2009
Naples, FL
Well a certain carrier over in Sweden received a TON of complaints from users about the lack of MMS. It was rumored that due to this the carrier contacted Apple and Apple was working on an MMS app specific to that carrier.
yes, well AT&T has received a TON of complaints also lol, they just don't care :p

windowman

Feb 14, 2009
Can't you do this with the phone being jb?

greenblink

Nov 30, 2008
UK
I can't see there being any substance to the rumour. Apple don't make apps for single carriers. If they add a new app to the OS then its available to all carriers.

And we won't see a 3rd party app in the App Store until Apple allow apps to run in the background (MMS is a push service so would have to run in the background).

Braxxis

Mar 4, 2009
Naples, FL
I can't see there being any substance to the rumour. Apple don't make apps for single carriers. If they add a new app to the OS then its available to all carriers.

And we won't see a 3rd party app in the App Store until Apple allow apps to run in the background (MMS is a push service so would have to run in the background).
Actually I know someone in England. When he got his iPhone it was preinstalled with a free copy of the MMS App called "MMS Photo Messaging". Heres actually a link you can visit to kind of "petition" getting MMS here in the US --> http://iPhonemms.net/global/

As for the swedish one, the carrier is Telia and the App maker is Mobispine.

Edit: I have just learned VIA my because who works for AT&T that they started doing a system IMEI sweep everynight after firmware 2.0 came out for the iPhone to start blocking MMS from jailbroken phones. AT&T is personally BLOCKING the Use of MMS! WTH is that about... why can a 20 dollar flip phone MMS but we can't, crap I tell you! Crap! lol.

Braxxis

Mar 4, 2009
Naples, FL
I won't bet on it, but I'll guess we'll see an firmware update in 3-4 weeks.
Hey, I see in your siggy you have a Intel 2.4GHz Quad.. that isn't the Q6600 per chance is it? I dunno if you do much overclocking, but it can easily be OC' to 3.2 GHz with stock cooling, that's what I did with mine.. Off topic.. sorry.. lol (im a comp nerd :p)

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hey, I see in your siggy you have a Intel 2.4GHz Quad.. that isn't the Q6600 per chance is it? I dunno if you do much overclocking, but it can easily be OC' to 3.2 GHz with stock cooling, that's what I did with mine.. Off topic.. sorry.. lol (im a comp nerd :p)
It's a Q6600 ;) I have it overclocked 15% in the BIOS settings....chicken! LOL

I have a great cooling system - what should I do next to get the 3.2GHz mark?

(sorry for this off topic...)

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I also have the Q6600. It's not overclocked right now because my Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 v2.0 doesn't seem to like overclocking this particular processor. I'll eventually update my motherboard to remedy that.

Braxxis

Mar 4, 2009
Naples, FL
It's a Q6600 ;) I have it overclocked 15% in the BIOS settings....chicken! LOL

I have a great cooling system - what should I do next to get the 3.2GHz mark?

(sorry for this off topic...)
Well, It really depends on the rest of your system, what board your using, RAM, etc.

I had my Q6600 OC'd to 3.2 running with my RAM at a 3:2 ratio so that my 8 GB of RAM stayed at 1066. But that got buggy sometimes, specifically when running Games, but I'm using Windows 7 so it may just not like DirectX 11.

Ultimately I had to set my ratio between CPU and RAM to Sync, so my RAM is actually underclocked at 800MHz. But at 8GB isn't that huge of a deal as games seem to respond better once the CPU is over the 3GHz mark. I went with a x8 Multiplier on the CPU @ 400 FSB, that seemed the most stable. One thing you want to make sure of is when your CPU is OC'd and synced with the RAM, that you Manually enter the timing settings for the RAM to what they are showing as being at. I took all my settings off of Auto and put them at 5x5x5x18x2T. Also you will need to play with your volatages. In my EVGA 750i it color codes the voltages for green and red (play at your own risk :p) not sure if other boards show the same but pretty much I have almost all voltages as high as they go and still in the green. MY rams at 2.2 volts, but its rated for that, I think my CPU is at 1.4 but don't quote me on that.. I can write down my settings when I get home and post them all for you.

I have heard that setting your FSB higher and lowering the multiplier actually yields better results and faster speed, but I have yet to research and/or test that out.