any one getting faster EDGE speeds then WiFi?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
hello from my trusty iPhone, has anyone else experienced faster edge speeds than wifi unless you are on a very good wifi network and you are reasonably close? I am at my cousins house now and edge is running MUCH better than wifi because of the way he has it set up. The thing that bothers me is that he is in an old PowerBook g4 and he gets fine wifi service in the same room me. I am thinking this is due to a weak wifi antannae in iPhone, anyone else experience this?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
hello from my trusty iPhone, has anyone else experienced faster edge speeds than wifi unless you are on a very good wifi network and you are reasonably close? I am at my cousins house now and edge is running MUCH better than wifi because of the way he has it set up. The thing that bothers me is that he is in an old PowerBook g4 and he gets fine wifi service in the same room me. I am thinking this is due to a weak wifi antannae in iPhone, anyone else experience this?
my phone screams on wifi but I am pleasantly surprised with the EDGE speeds. Coming from EVDO service on VZW and Sprint i expected it to be horrible but it's actually not too bad. It's not 3g by anymeans but it's functional and isn't too bad. last test i did i got 192kilobit/sec

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
my phone screams on wifi but I am pleasantly surprised with the EDGE speeds. Coming from EVDO service on VZW and Sprint i expected it to be horrible but it's actually not too bad. It's not 3g by anymeans but it's functional and isn't too bad. last test i did i got 192kilobit/sec

I agree its not like wifi or 3g but it has worked extremely well for me when I have a poor wifi signal, I just fond it odd when my wifi connection is weak but it is fine on another computer.

hutchensgd

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Whenever I have WiFi access it is much faster than Edge.

Jul 9, 2007
Signal strength is way less than on Macbook Pro sitting next to it

I am sitting in my office at a big software company where I use my Macbook Pro on the WiFi network daily with 80% strength and no problems. Yet my iPhone keeps dropping the network and cannot stay connected. Weird, very weird. I wonder if I have a defective unit.