Any one think 1.1.1 is less responsive

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 3, 2007
I'm not sure if its just me but i fell like as soon as i updated my iPhone it feels less responsive for example when i hit the sms it takes about 1 1/2 sec to open and i don't remember it taking that long before. Any one else notice this?

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
Yes! Absolutely. I did the update yesterday and did the jailbreak. I'm wishing that i hadn't bothered. besides the fact that i had to do a restore before updating and i lost all my camera roll pictures, sms takes a few seconds to come up, i had weirdness trying to use the phone where it went back to the home screen with the "touch here to return to call" thing up top. Then i would touch the top and the screen would just go black. So far I'm not that thrilled with the stability and I haven't touched the new features yet.

dmwinkler11@ou.edu

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Yep! Much slower... I haven't hacked my iPhone or anything and it is much less responsive than previous versions... I'm considering doing a full restore and then re-syncing and seeing if that helps any.

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
SMS slower, when it actually works and doesn't inexplicable bump me to the home screen. I feel like my signal strength is diminished. I got a voicemail and tried to play it. the stupid thing just spun in circles. restarted the phone, same result. deleted the message, called myself, left a voicemail. 30 minutes +, still haven't gotten the message.

Those of you still with 1.0.2, DEAR GOD DON'T UPGRADE!

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
Yeah, it's less responsive. When I'm on Safari, sometimes it doesn't even recognize my touches when I want to click on a link. Sometimes, while I'm browsing the iTunes "play" button will appear out of nowhere on the top right while I'm browsing then kick me out of Safari when I wasn't even listening to music in the first place. There's still some major bugs in this new update, it needs to be fixed please. Crying out loud!

Edit: I also agree that the SMS takes longer to open up and send as well, same with the keyboard. I'm just now irritated by it, just recently.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Yeah, it's less responsive. When I'm on Safari, sometimes it doesn't even recognize my touches when I want to click on a link. Sometimes, while I'm browsing the iTunes "play" button will appear out of nowhere on the top right while I'm browsing then kick me out of Safari when I wasn't even listening to music in the first place. There's still some major bugs in this new update, it needs to be fixed please. Crying out loud!

Edit: I also agree that the SMS takes longer to open up and send as well, same with the keyboard. I'm just now irritated by it, just recently.
Perhaps that could be from the power of suggestion? :p Seriously though, I think the majority of users have been unaffected by slower speeds. Wouldn't there be a HUGE outcry from us, high-maintenance iPhone user crowd? ;)

Sep 3, 2007
i just noticed it only takes longer if i leave conversation open and when i go back in. If its closed its a lot faster and also the clock button takes longer to open

Joseph B

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
I was having some initial response problems with 1.1.1 -- especially in Safari and when trying to get a song to pause in iPod mode.

The problem was "fixed" by simply shutting the phone all the way off for a few minutes.

I did that about a week ago and haven't had a problem since. (And the iPhone hasn't been turned all the way off since that one time.)

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
For 1.1.1 has been absolutely horrible. I'm constantly fighting with my phone to gain access to sms and mail, etc. I notice when it bounces itself back to the homescreen, it displays the default dock and black wallpaper, then reloads the summerboard settings. I have a suspicion that it's summerboard that is causing the issues. I have uninstalled it (summerboard) and I will evaluate the phone's performance today. I'll reply with my findings.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
For 1.1.1 has been absolutely horrible. I'm constantly fighting with my phone to gain access to sms and mail, etc. I notice when it bounces itself back to the homescreen, it displays the default dock and black wallpaper, then reloads the summerboard settings. I have a suspicion that it's summerboard that is causing the issues. I have uninstalled it (summerboard) and I will evaluate the phone's performance today. I'll reply with my findings.
I agree I have problems exactly like this. I tried installing one piece of software at a time and I believe it's either the BSD subsystem (which i doubt) or the "services" app which turn EDGE wifi and SSH on and off. I would install a piece of software and put the iPhone through it's paces. Everything was OK until services was installed and used. We'll see if that is the problem.

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
I agree I have problems exactly like this. I tried installing one piece of software at a time and I believe it's either the BSD subsystem (which i doubt) or the "services" app which turn EDGE wifi and SSH on and off. I would install a piece of software and put the iPhone through it's paces. Everything was OK until services was installed and used. We'll see if that is the problem.
Ok. You test that, I'll test summerboard. We'll meet at the playground at 3pm and see which one was the culprit. I do have services installed. Then after that, we'll see who's intercooler is bigger!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
No apparent slowdowns for me. SMS takes the same amount of time as it did on 1.0.2 (i.e., it was never fast unless I purged all conversations).

After more than two weeks on 1.1.1, without question Safari for me is more stable.

AFAIC 1.0.2 is obsolete.

It seems every single iPhone update triggered reports of less (or more) battery life, less (or more) Safari crashes, odd behavior, etc., etc. I have no doubt the same will happen after the next update.

--
Mike

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
No apparent slowdowns for me. SMS takes the same amount of time as it did on 1.0.2 (i.e., it was never fast unless I purged all conversations).

After more than two weeks on 1.1.1, without question Safari for me is more stable.

AFAIC 1.0.2 is obsolete.

It seems every single iPhone update triggered reports of less (or more) battery life, less (or more) Safari crashes, odd behavior, etc., etc. I have no doubt the same will happen after the next update.

--
Mike
Battery life I don't see an issue with. But I'm definitely having issues with apps not opening or hanging. several times i've had the phone get stuck on the mail or sms screen but with no data. it will hang there for 5+ minutes then go into a soft restart. I don't think it's 1.1.1 itself but rather the additional software. So far with summerboard removed I have been going in and out of mail and sms waiting for a freeze and it has been fine. i'm not saying summerboard is the problem and it's always YMMV, but I need to find a solution because my phone has become borderline unusable.