Any opinions or experience with Square Trade?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Sschep1, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Sschep1

Sschep1 Member
    Bronze

Has anyone ever heard of or have Square Trade? If so, what are your thoughts on this protection plan? I don't have any insurance on my phone yet. I never had to use my insurance in a long time. It seems like a good deal. Is it?

2. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

Save your money.

3. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I purchased Apple Care+ for my iPhone 6+. If somethings does go wrong (like a broken screen after a drop), I like the idea of walking into an Apple Store and walking out with a new (or refurbished) phone the same day.

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I've used Square Trade for years with non Apple products and they are great.. Apple Care+ is the better option for Apple products though..

5. Sschep1

Sschep1 Member
    Bronze

Thanks guys

6. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The one and only downside to Square Trade is that you have to send them your phone.. If you go the Square Trade route just be prepared to be without the iPhone for a few days. The service is pretty fast however..

As I stated before, I've used them for years and have used their repair service a few different times. I have always been happy with the service and the turn around time.

Apple Care+ is only better in that you can walk into an Apple Store, pay the deductible, and walk out with a device in hand the same day..

Square Trade is reputable and I've never had a single issue with them.. At $5 a month it's a good deal and you can cancel at anytime and they even refund you a prorated amount for the unused portion of that month..

With iDevices I always get Apple Care+ (for the convince of getting same day replacement) but for Androids, Windows Phones and other gadgets, Square Trade ROCKS!

#6 raqball, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's a big thing for a lot of us.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's the best reason to choose AppleCare+ over SquareTrade, but it's not the only benefit. AppleCare+ also extends tech support from the standard three months to 24 months and they will do free two-day shipping with replacement phones for those who aren't near an Apple Store. Shipping is $29.99 for those who don't have AppleCare+. If you go through Apple, you can get a replacement at any Apple Store. This would be especially nice if you needed one while you were on vacation.

9. Sschep1

Sschep1 Member
    Bronze

If I get AppleCare now after I already bought the phone, will I have to go to Apple to get it checked out?

10. darkpoet25

darkpoet25 Member
    Bronze

No, you can use the Apple Store app. They will do an over the air diagnostic of the phone, then it is added after that. You also have 60 days from your original phone purchase to get it.

11. Badfishy

Badfishy Contributor
    Bronze

Not true. I've used square trade for years and had to file a claim on my iPhone 5 early this year. They sent me a phone first, then I sent mine back in the provided packaging.

When I filed a claim on my DSLR camera, I had to send it it for repair and had it back within a week.

I'm guessing it really just depends on the product and since iPhones are plentiful they can just send a replacement right away.

The other option is getting it repaired at the Apple Store and Square trade will reimburse you the cost.

I've used both Apple Care and Square trade. I prefer square trade only because it's deductible is less at $50 and the same 2 year coverage is $99. Also get more times to file claims compared to Apple Care.

12. Sschep1

Sschep1 Member
    Bronze

The deductible is now 75$ for square trade

13. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

If you can afford the $99 one time cost of Apple Care+ then go with it as it is easily the best option for iDevices..

If you can't afford the $99 then go with Square Trade as it's what $5 a month?

I have Square Trade on my sons Galaxy Phone.. I haven't had to use the service in a while but was not aware the deductible was $75 now.. Even so, that's still not bad and it's better than not having anything..

14. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

The other thing to note about square trade and AppleCare is that you can get square trade any time. Applecare, if I recall correctly is within a year at the time of purchase. The deductible is also cheaper on square. I'd feel better protected with apple care.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The deductible is $4 less.

16. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I had it on my 4 only because at that time AppleCare didn't offer replacement in their stores. Now AppleCare+ does, so no more SquareTrade.