Any updates on turn by turn nav apps?

SonicGT

Sep 26, 2007
Haven't seen anything in awhile, anyone hear any updates on one might be available?

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
Ive been having a good look at this and I really don't think turn by turn apps will be that easy to implement. if you try and us the 3G blue dot while driving, sure it works for a while but if you drive long distance into the stick etc you sometimes lose the 3G signal and thereforee lose your dot! I tried using the blue dot to get me to a destination once.....thank go d I had a map as the signal was awful and the blue dot actually got itself lost along the way.

Try it sometime, youll understand what I mean. Sure turn by turn would work in cities, but any further and i think there maybe problems.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Ive been having a good look at this and I really don't think turn by turn apps will be that easy to implement. if you try and us the 3G blue dot while driving, sure it works for a while but if you drive long distance into the stick etc you sometimes lose the 3G signal and thereforee lose your dot! I tried using the blue dot to get me to a destination once.....thank go d I had a map as the signal was awful and the blue dot actually got itself lost along the way.

Try it sometime, youll understand what I mean. Sure turn by turn would work in cities, but any further and i think there maybe problems.
That's interesting Aaron. I live in Colorado and use GPS to go up into the mountains. Fortunately, I've not had the blue dot lose me yet. My GPS works perfectly although I have 3G disabled which just may be the reason for my success.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
My GPS works great. But I also use Edge. I use it all the time to check traffic. :)

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I thought the iPhone 3G used A-GPS that uses both satellite as well as cell tower triangulation. If you loose satellite line of site, cell tower triangulation kicks in so it doesn't loose your location.

SonicGT

Sep 26, 2007
I've briefly seen the issue with it showing me off the road, but I went from Chicago to Detroit and didn't have a problem, except when I missed my exit so got off updated my route and couldn't figure out which way to go in the dark since I have no compas in my car and wasn't sure which direction I was pointing. Then as I started to drive I noticed it was the wrong way and turned around to get back on route according to the map route.