Any way to get out of Apple/AT&T without sigining a contract

Jun 25, 2008
I was just wondering does anyone have any good ideas on a way to get out the store without signing a contract.

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
My guess is slim to none. From what I've heard, ATT is not letting you leave the store w/ the iPhone without having the phone activated.

Jun 25, 2008
My guess is slim to none. From what I've heard, ATT is not letting you leave the store w/ the iPhone without having the phone activated.
Do u think that it might be possible to purchase it as a gift and pay cash to avoid the fee for not activating it within 30 days.

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I'm not sure on that. But, now that I think about it, I'm not sure how you are going to be able to get your phone activated at an Apple store if you purchase the iPhone there. Unless they have the authority to go ahead and activate your phone. Plus, from what I've heard, the limit is 2 phones per person, so I wonder how the activation will work for people who are buying 2 phones. I'm sure people will have their friends pick them up a phone, and have family members pick up extra phones.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I think they just make you give them your credit card number and then sign a contract that you WILL activate within 30 days or be charged a large fee. This contract is not a 2 year agreement yet (I think that still happens on iTunes), it is just an agreement to get on iTunes to sign that 2 year one within 30 days. That way you can still buy an iPhone for friend as a gift, but will have to make sure they understand that they must activate within 30 days or you will have to pay. This is not fact, just how I see it. What do you guys think?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
They'll activate it online just like any AT&T agency store does with any other AT&T phone. Beginning 7/11, Apple retail stores will become AT&T agency stores that get commissions and residuals from AT&T for each iPhone activated. It won't be a big deal at all. They'll simply type in your ssn and do a quick two or three minute credit check. The whole process might take 10 minutes tops.

Jun 25, 2008
They'll activate it online just like any AT&T agency store does with any other AT&T phone. Beginning 7/11, Apple retail stores will become AT&T agency stores that get commissions and residuals from AT&T for each iPhone activated. It won't be a big deal at all. They'll simply type in your ssn and do a quick two or three minute credit check. The whole process might take 10 minutes tops.
Do u think it is possible that the lines get so long that they just let you activate the phones at home.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Do u think it is possible that the lines get so long that they just let you activate the phones at home.
Nope. For one I don't think the lines are going to be anything like iDay and two: they'll have plenty of people there to run the activations. Even small AT&T stores will have five sales reps with five computers running the applications.