Any Way to Improve YouTube Quality on Edge?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Use youtube in an area where you get good to excellent signal from AT&T. Apart from this I don't see anyother way out. I tried using youtube in an area where the signal was just 1-2 bar(s) and no luck.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
The only way I can think of involves downloading the video on a phone, then converting it to a mp4 for the iPhone and syncing it over. But I imagine that doesn't work for what you want to do.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Yes streaming over edge does not produce that nice of picture quality. That's why only 3G phones support AT&T's Cellular Video. I have full bar coverage and the picture is still blurry. I have had occasions though when edge picture performed almost as well as wifi.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Even worse is trying to steam through quicktime, for ex. using Apple trailers. It cant even make it through a whole trailer.

Actually good point. Even not streaming the trailers, but downloading the trailers in iTunes I have noticed over the past couple of weeks the quality of those is not as great as the earlier ones. I went back and looked at those and those liiked great, but even over the weekend some did not look that sharp.

iPhone-Planet

Bronze
Jun 1, 2007
Well, I don't use youtube much on my phone, but I know for sure that the web works lightning quick when in the dock when I am at work in a manufacturing facility. The pages load almost instantly like broadband at home. The speed in the dock compared to in your hand, is unbelievable.

Jeff

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Well, I don't use youtube much on my phone, but I know for sure that the web works lightning quick when in the dock when I am at work in a manufacturing facility. The pages load almost instantly like broadband at home. The speed in the dock compared to in your hand, is unbelievable.

Jeff

Sorry, but being on wifi is much much faster, than edge if it is docked.

iPhone-Planet

Bronze
Jun 1, 2007
KNK, I was not comparing Edge versus Wifi. I was saying that the speed is faster in the dock, much faster, than when you are just holding the phone in your hand.
And that is on EDGE, as mentioned. never tried to state Edge in the dock is faster than Wifi, read it again please.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
KNK, I was not comparing Edge versus Wifi. I was saying that the speed is faster in the dock, much faster, than when you are just holding the phone in your hand.
And that is on EDGE, as mentioned. never tried to state Edge in the dock is faster than Wifi, read it again please.
Don't understand this..what is it about the dock that'd make it so much faster. (Ive never even used the dock)....always seemed very unecessary to me.
thanks !

iPhone-Planet

Bronze
Jun 1, 2007
I just happened to have my dock and charged my phone while at work one day and noticed when surfing the web the pages loaded so much faster if the phone was in the dock, then it ever did when I was at work and just using my phone in my hand. So now I don't go to work without my dock and cord and plug it in.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I just happened to have my dock and charged my phone while at work one day and noticed when surfing the web the pages loaded so much faster if the phone was in the dock, then it ever did when I was at work and just using my phone in my hand. So now I don't go to work without my dock and cord and plug it in.

Could be your reception at home is poor and reception at work is excellent.

iPhone-Planet

Bronze
Jun 1, 2007
Not talking about home versus work either my man. Just the difference from using the phone at work, in my hand, and using it at work while in the dock and plugged in, the difference is like night and day and I think it just has much more power to load quicker it seems.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I think its psychosomatic (all in your head)

Don't get mad but I have to agree with Domin8stang, I have seen your posts on several threads today. So I turned off my wifi and put it in the Dock, same old edge as always. Maybe I can come and work at your office and dock my phone there L.O.L.

But then I need Drugs and Booze while working.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
While there isn't really a way, YouTube quality while using EDGE does not differ depending on your current signal.

Here in Boston, I have five bars of service wherever I go, no matter if it's in the park or hiding the darkest corner of my closet. Anywhere I go, the quality of YouTube videos on EDGE is awful. Location does not matter.

- John