any way to track data usage while streaming music?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheDeafGuy, Feb 7, 2012.

1. TheDeafGuy

TheDeafGuy Member
    Bronze

How does one keep track of how much data being used from streaming, such as Pandora or TuneIn radio or even youtube? Anybody know how much megabytes they use up in an hour?I'm curious how much data I'm burning up so I can set my daily limitations so I don't go over the 2gb per month with Verizon.

I know I can just click on the Verizon app and check the data usage there but it's difficult because it counts all data, rather than separately for streaming alone.

I used to have the 3Gs with AT&T's unlimited plan until I bought the 4s from Verizon with the 2gb plan. 2 weeks into it, my usage has hit 1.194 gb so I had to bump up to the 5gb plan... I use wifi as often as I can and use 3g only when on the road or at work (employer has secured wifi and only company pc's and laptops can access it.)

Any input on this?

Thanks Brian

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

If you're jailbroken, data counter on cydia does that. That's all I got.

Edit: nvm, I was wrong. Sorry.

3. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I use 3G Data Control to monitor my 3G usage.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

4. TheDeafGuy

TheDeafGuy Member
    Bronze

I'll go check it out and see if it's what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

5. TheDeafGuy

TheDeafGuy Member
    Bronze

I only found Data Counter.... close but not quite what I'm hoping for in monitoring how much megabytes per hour I burn from streaming. Just wanted to know which app uses more 3g data so I could determine how many hours to limit myself each day. The reason for wanting to know is because my co-worker says he streams all day on Pandora and a few talk show apps, youtube, facebook, emails, yada yada and never went over 3gb a month. With me being at nearly 2gb after two weeks just by doing the same thing has got me curious as to what I'm doing that's eating more data than his iPhone.

I already have 8gb of music on the phone but they are old, whereas Pandora has some new material. I wouldn't be having this conversation if the company would allow music streaming on its wifi network.

Since I already bumped my plan up to 5gb per month, I'll stay with it until I figure how much I actually use per billing cycle.