Any weather radar in motion?

MadDog31

Bronze
May 15, 2007
Wilmington, NC
www.bitterfans.com
I've combed through a few weather-related threads here and over at MacRumors and haven't been able to find a solution.

Last night at a local baseball game here in Wilmington, NC, the team was semi-relying on me to provide up-to-date radar information on a huge storm that was forecasted to come in. EDGE was running slower than molasses, but aside from that, I was able to slowly refresh only to see updated still shots. We really needed some motion on the radar system to see where it was headed (quicker than waiting 3-4 minutes for a refresh - yes, not kidding...it was running that slow).

They had a laptop in the offices in center field but weren't able to get up there and back quick enough for updates...which is where my iPhone came in.

It helped us out, but motion radar would have been better. I tried wunderground.com and they have nice radar images (that now work w/ the iPhone), but they for some reason won't move when you select it to. Weather.com had maps in motion, but now they seem to be kicking the iPhone to a damn WAP page that has a radar that covers the southeast region which doesn't help in storm detail.

In short, does anyone know of a radar-in-motion site we can use on the iPhones?

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
A friend of mine has created an aviation weather web app for the iPhone. Access to all the airport information directory costs $75/yr but the weather, including NextRad images, are available for free.

www.foreflight.com

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Oh MAN! Weather.com screwed us! Their animated maps used to work for me. I even had them bookmarked, and now sure enough they all redirect us to that dumb WAP page. Someone needs to educate them about the capabilities of our phones.

MadDog31

Bronze
May 15, 2007
Wilmington, NC
www.bitterfans.com
Yeah I've taken part in that thread a couple of times...I've tried those other sites. I think I may have found a decent solution in the iWeathr.com (admin note: no longer available) one because even though Wilmington isn't on the list per se (I'd love it to be), I can still use Charlotte or Asheville's maps and still get the area...plus I can pinch and zoom in on Wilmington. It's not 100% what I'd like, but it's looking like the closest viable solution we have for right now.

Oh MAN! Weather.com screwed us! Their animated maps used to work for me. I even had them bookmarked, and now they all redirect us to that dumb WAP page. Someone needs to educate them about the capabilities of our phones.
I fully agree...I was enjoying what they had to offer and then they completely stripped things down for us. :-\

Last edited by a moderator: