Any word of multiplayer games on iPhone?

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
oooo, kind of like the way PSPs talk to eachother.

Get a nice little game of 4 person mini-golf going on or something.

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
Games haven't been announced yet so Lets see.
Nonbeliever!

But seriously, with the commercials that Apple puts out, the generation they target, and the market they actually have, you think they would have a fairly decent game lineup.

Even if you have to download them.. hopefully a lot for free and none of this 99cent stuff.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
you would be SO lucky to get a 99cent game. I had a crappy Oblivion game and it was 850. Impulse buy my 360 Broke the day after i got oblivion i needed my fix :)

JHMirage

May 12, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
But seriously, with the commercials that Apple puts out, the generation they target, and the market they actually have, you think they would have a fairly decent game lineup.
Yeah, you would think. But for whatever reason, Apple has never been serious about games. The most I expect to find available for the iPhone in the first several months is some very light casual gaming, like another tired port of Bejewled or the like.

Unless they actually open up development to a broader audience... then the market will take them there.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I've been quite impressed with their attention to games at Apple.com/games and the continual additions to iPod games. I'm not going to compare iPod game development to the iPhone because the iPod user input is very specialized, where the iPhone has a lot more potential due to the unlimited user input. I think iPhone gaming will definitely be there and much bigger than iPod games, especially if they continue to recruit game developers to write games for it as they have with the iPod.

JHMirage

May 12, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I've been quite impressed with their attention to games at Apple.com/games and the continual additions to iPod games.
Really? I guess it's all a matter of perspective. There are currently 13 total games available for the iPod. Which, if you look at it in comparison to the cell phone world, is miniscule. To me, it seems to mirror the ratio of available games you see in the Mac vs. PC world.

However, as you said, the iPod offers a unique interface challenge to game developers... the iPhone will not only have better capabilities than any previous iPod, but better than any previous cell phone (IMO) as well. I continue to fear, though, that if we must rely totally on Apple to develop the game content we're in for a long dry spell. After all, how many years was it before there were any games (other than breakout/name that tune, etc.) available for iPods?

If they open the iPhone up to the community or even 3rd party commercial developers, we're all set. <fingers crossed>

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
Some games I would like to see:
1. That puzzle game where you are a penguin pushing ice blocks around trying to clear a path to your freedom.
2. Puzzle Fighter (because I could play that game forever at Nickel Nickel)
3. Galaga (best game ever)
4. Bust a Move
5. Ikaruga (lol I wish)

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Really? I guess it's all a matter of perspective. There are currently 13 total games available for the iPod. Which, if you look at it in comparison to the cell phone world, is miniscule. To me, it seems to mirror the ratio of available games you see in the Mac vs. PC world.

However, as you said, the iPod offers a unique interface challenge to game developers... the iPhone will not only have better capabilities than any previous iPod, but better than any previous cell phone (IMO) as well. I continue to fear, though, that if we must rely totally on Apple to develop the game content we're in for a long dry spell. After all, how many years was it before there were any games (other than breakout/name that tune, etc.) available for iPods?

If they open the iPhone up to the community or even 3rd party commercial developers, we're all set. <fingers crossed>
Exactly! 3rd party developers are already in the mix on iPod games. That coupled with the endless game control possibilities with the iPhone (anywhere on the screen with multiple fingers, multiple sensors, and tall or wide screens) it seems like it's inevitable.

Theorian

Aug 11, 2009
NanoMechs - AMAZING! Well worth $.99!

NanoMechs is a new multiplayer iPhone game that allows for real-time action and 8 players simultaneously!

Version 1.1 fixes the bug that would not allow NanoMechs run on iDevices earlier than 3.0!

Version 1.2 is about ready to be submitted. It includes online leader boards (thanks to AGON) and it also includes a flakcannon style of weapon!

http://www.linktoapp.com/NanoMechs