Any word on a new update for voice command?

Aug 7, 2009
Its practically useless unless you want to call someone. The ipod controls are worthless. Any update on the horizon?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't think they're worthless at all. Are you using the approved commands?

Aug 7, 2009
everytime i say a band mane it gets it horribly wrong. And its not like a have some weird accent.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Are you saying "Play songs by..." If you just say "band name" or "artists name" it won't get it right at all.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I agree that it's pretty limited right now. I'd like to be able to do Spotlight searches with it, open apps with it, interact with contacts and calendars with it, and so on.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Sometimes it works really well. With other things it will refuse to, e.g. call a contact whose name I will say clearly no matter how many variations I will try. Instead it chooses another name that clearly is as wrong as possible. Can't figure out how to correct it. When it works, I love it.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I have had absolutely no problems with voice command. People need to follow instructions, and speak into the phone as if you're talking to an electronic device, not a human being!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've never had a problem with it - it always does exactly what I tell it to, and it's not as if I have to hold it directly in front of my mouth and speak crystal-clear either. While I do think it would be nice to add a few more features to it (I'm really confused as to why you can't specify a single song for it to play, such as "play song "song title" by "artist") but I think Spotlight works excellently for doing things like launching apps. I rarely flick through my home screens anymore.

Aetherhole

Jul 16, 2007
I've only had one or two separate instances in the MANY, MANY instances I've utilized this feature. I tried playing an individual artist both times and it came up with the wrong one. Not a big deal because I think the culprit was the noise level of the environment. One time I was in my car with the window down and the other was while a couple other people were talking. I didn't think the other people were going to be a problem since they were like 10 feet away, but I guess they were.

I've also been in situations where I thought it was pretty noisy and it still worked.