Any word on getting GPS to work on v1 iPhone?

Vpeach

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I know this topic has been brought up in here quite a few times, but the search feature wasn't cooperating with me since "gps" is a common word along with the others ones I tried.

Any word if there has been any progress with getting this function to work?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I know this topic has been brought up in here quite a few times, but the search feature wasn't cooperating with me since "gps" is a common word along with the others ones I tried.

I'm afraid not. it will take a lot more than a minor update for GPS.

Vpeach

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
they can use the sim card as a GPS module apparently for setting a location.
I didn't know that! I hope that gps gets going soon because it is one feature that I need since I get lost a lot and am constantly using the maps feature on the iPhone.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
From what I read, the best that Apple/At&t can do is use cell towers as locators for your approximate position. To use satalite triangulation, you need hardware that is not in the iPhone.
I don't know how much the cell tower triangulation would tie up the towers, but I am willing to bet that it's enough to disrupt service is a lot of people are using the function at once in the same area.

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007

As others have stated, there is no hope for true GPS in the iPhone. This would require additional hardware in the phone (a GPS receiver) that can receive GPS signals from the geo-stationary satellites high in the heavens. This hardware would also make the iPhone very bulky.

It IS possible for the iPhone to do what some call pseudo-GPS, where the phone triangulates your position using at least three cell towers that are near by. This is a very flaky way of doing things for obvious reasons, but it's possible. The iPhone as it is now (9/16/2007) doesn't do this, but Apple could implement this in a future revision of the iPhone firmware.

How cell triangulation works
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci753924,00.html

edmartin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
The solution is a lot simpler, common and more accurate than that. Allow serial Bluetooth connections and an external GPS receiver. I did that for years on previous WM devices. There are many WM products out there like this (CoPilot, iGuidance, TomTom, etc.). Google Maps could be used (although it lacks voice for turn by turn and some other common GPS software functionality). A Bluetooth GPS receiver is as accurate as a stand-alone GPS - and much more accurate than trying to triangulate from cell towers.

GPS is the thing I miss the most when I went from my WM device to my iPhone. My solution for now was to go out and buy an inexpensive TomTom One on eBay while I keep an eye out for a native iPhone solution someday (maybe).

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
even better... Go into diagnostics.. you will notice a tower list with signals... tower triangalation... no additional hardware.. hell if they can do it with a palm 7 using software i found on the net ( like 10 years ago ), the iPhone should be able to do it..

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
they can use the sim card as a GPS module apparently for setting a location.
Not in this case.

While there is such a thing as a SIM card with A-GPS hardware onboard, it requires the phone and the carrier to cooperate with extra code (and gear on the carrier side)... very unlikely in the case of AT&T.