any word on other apps?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

fitz62

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
what other apps come standard with the iPhone. i kknow you are able to read word and excel files but would u be able to edit them? (or would you be able to use google apps for that)
what about using the iPhone to make VOIP calls? anybody knows about that?

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
what other apps come standard with the iPhone. i kknow you are able to read word and excel files but would u be able to edit them? (or would you be able to use google apps for that)
what about using the iPhone to make VOIP calls? anybody knows about that?
yo fitz- i wasn't aware that it would read word/excel files, however would we be able to edit is a good question...

fitz62

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
yo fitz- i wasn't aware that it would read word/excel files, however would we be able to edit is a good question...
yeah it could open word and excel..that was in the 20 min video they released on saturday. but they didn't say if you could edit. i am thinking that because of the relationship with google and Apple, google apps would be a great tool for editting...(pretty nifty prog if you ask me).

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
No editing will not be an option. Viewing is a huge kick in the nuts for the Redmond folks though. :laugh2:

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
No editing will not be an option. Viewing is a huge kick in the nuts for the Redmond folks though. :laugh2:

I'm sure that Apple had to secure some "rights" to do that, being as the iPhone is an all Mac OS device, and both of those are MS Office proprietary formats.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I'm sure that Apple had to secure some "rights" to do that, being as the iPhone is an all Mac OS device, and both of those are MS Office proprietary formats.
You sure? TextEdit has had the ability to open .doc files for a while. Just hope the iPhone does a better job at reading them.

thinkart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Mid-MO
google has been working so closely with Apple on this that i would be shocked if google apps does not work. it wont be IN the phone, but i think the reason they went public with the "hey developers you can make apps for iPhone using safari" idea was because of google apps.--excel, word, etc all work great in a browser!

ilLegalBeagle

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
Apple and M$ have been cooperating on an increasing basis over the last several years. Hence, the Apple version of M$ Office. Also, that cooperative effort led to the impetus for the Intel versions of Mac OS. Before M$ became more friendly, they could have easily prevented Intel from opening its development program to Apple. So, it makes sense for an iPhone have the licensed ability to open a M$ doc when M$ makes software for that purpose (Office suite).

As an attorney, I took particular interest several years ago when M$ began making "behind the scenes" investments into ventures/co-developments with Apple and its affiliates. I don't want to make it sound like they're the best of friends, but M$ and Apple have been in a policy of detente for some time now on their cross-platform efforts.

ilLegalBeagle

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
yeah it could open word and excel..that was in the 20 min video they released on saturday. but they didn't say if you could edit. i am thinking that because of the relationship with google and Apple, google apps would be a great tool for editting...(pretty nifty prog if you ask me).
oh ok...what video is that so i can chk that out...that's some good news man...i work A LOT in word, so i need to chk that out...