Anybody agree with the lawsuit?

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
I mean yeah, 3G on the iPhone is faster than EDGE but when compared to the ads Apple made there is a big difference in speeds, real speeds are not nearly as close as they made them to be. I find that to be very annoying. When you look at the ad, pages load like if they were using something faster than WIFI, and the same goes to when they are downloading the attachment in the MAIL app. I mean come one, don't need to deceive and then have a lot of disappointed people. What do you guys think?

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I may agree with some of the issues, but not the Lawsuit. How long will it be before a MobileMe user sues.

Should I sue AT&T or Apple because a friend of mine sent me an MMS and I did not receive it.

Every other phone AT&T sells has MMS just not Apple.

He actually called me today to make sure I was OK because he didn't hear back from me.

Maybe if I sued them they will forward my MMS to my E-Mail, because I had to remind him that I am far advanced in Technolgy with my iPhone and he needs to send me an e-mail instead. I'm tired having to remind people that I don't have MMS.

Mr Hyde

Aug 6, 2008
If Apple was completely ignoring the problem, then yes I would agree with the lawsuit. Since they acknowledge the problem, and are working on fixes, I don't think the lawsuit was necessary.

I believe that if the service was so bad for anyone, then in the first 30 days, they should have just return the phone, and wait to try again later once the issues have been ironed out.

Having said all that, a partial bill credit, or iTunes credit to make up for the problems would be a nice goodwill gesture on Apple's part; especially considering all the first time Apple customers they just received whose opinions of them may be a little tarnished.

If the lawsuit actually even did win, excluding the lawyers, the consumers wouldn't end up with more than a few bucks anyway.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I believe the ad's for the Apple iPhone 3G are misleading and should be addressed to reflect the actual speed of the iPhone. The individual that initiated the lawsuit had 30 days to return her phone but chose the legal route which is her right.

Personally I'm happy with my phone and feel the connection speed is more than adequate but like I said the ads for the 3G are misleading and need to be addressed.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I believe the ad's for the Apple iPhone 3G are misleading and should be addressed to reflect the actual speed of the iPhone. The individual that initiated the lawsuit had 30 days to return her phone but chose the legal route which is her right.

Personally I'm happy with my phone and feel the connection speed is more than adequate but like I said the ads for the 3G are misleading and need to be addressed.
Again, they are advertisements. A way to put as much information as possible into a 30 second slot. Are they going to have the whole commercial be waiting for a page to load? please, be real....

Many things on commercials are misleading....thats what makes them advertisements.

I don't get mad that my computer takes a few seconds to load a program when on a commercial it's instantaneous.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Not to cause any dissension on the board but if you were to purchase a car that was advertised to go 100 mph and would only go 75 than come to find out your not the only one this happens to would a law suit be warranted?

Granted the iPhone doesn't cost nearly as much as a vehicle but when you consider over 11 million 3G's will be sold in 2008 and another 25 million in 2009 the money Apple makes off these phones is far from chump change. One of the reasons why this phone is so popular is because of the speed Apple says it can connect to the internet. If Apple has misled the public in any way shape or form for the sake of profit than yes a lawsuit is warranted.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Not to cause any dissension on the board but if you were to purchase a car that was advertised to go 100 mph and would only go 75 than come to find out your not the only one this happens to would a law suit be warranted?

Granted the iPhone doesn't cost nearly as much as a vehicle but when you consider over 11 million 3G's will be sold in 2008 and another 25 million in 2009 the money Apple makes off these phones is far from chump change. One of the reasons why this phone is so popular is because of the speed Apple says it can connect to the internet. If Apple has misled the public in any way shape or form for the sake of profit than yes a lawsuit is warranted.
That would be totally different, the car scenario. Nowhere in the commercial did it say "these pictures reflect actual speeds." They just said it's twice as fast as EDGE, which, it is.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
well, isn't it American way..?
If you are not happy, you suit them... :p:p:p:p

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
That would be totally different, the car scenario. Nowhere in the commercial did it say "these pictures reflect actual speeds." They just said it's twice as fast as EDGE, which, it is.
Its not what they said but rather what they didn't say and what was implied.

Perhaps if Apple would have put a disclaimer in the commercial saying "Connection times may vary" all this could have been avoided. If they had put in such a disclaimer how would this effected their sales?

Im not saying the class action law suit is right but the person who initiated the lawsuit feels she has claim against Apple and apparently so does the judicial system.

Redfox68

Aug 16, 2008
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I'm new to Apple products (3G is my first purchase), but regardless of the visual in the commercial the advertising was "Twice as fast; half the price". If I sit with my phone and perform web, email and IM functions in EDGE and 3G I think I am running twice as fast in 3G. The price was a bit of a shell game, but at least I knew what it would be.

I understand the angst some folks are feeling, but those commercials are like toy commercials for kids where the toy soldier doll looks like the most fun a kid can have (explosions, rough terrain, blowing things up) until they get it and realize it is only a doll. That is just "madison avenue" for you.

I'm not sure that a lawsuit is the right move right now, but in my short experience, Apple doesn't seem to be very open with their customers about problems or feature enhancements. I'm not saying that some other companies aren't also that way, but that attitude can create a frustration that might cause some folks to jump the gun, making this a legal issue.

To Apple's credit, they got some quick updates out to correct some initial problems, but one of the iPhone's strongest selling points is it web/email connectivity, 3G was supposed to enhance that experience considerably. I wouldn't buy the first version iPhone because of reports I read about the slow web/email access. At the end of the day the 3G problem affects the two main reasons people bought the 3G iPhone.

For my part, I'd really like to see Apple come out with a clear statement on the root cause of the problem and their plans to remedy it. I believe a lot of owners can cut Apple some slack if they did that.

In the end, I'm not with the folks that want a lawsuit or with the ones that tell users to stop complaining because "Apple will fix everything"; I just don't put that much trust in any corporation.

Red

Cusca

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
ROMANIA
www.cusca.3dk.org
i think you americans have a big problem, well not all of you, but if somethings is not the way you think it should be, boom law suit,this kind of thinking gets me really angry, what about actually tryn to figure out the problem? maybe you don`t have a good 3g signal, maybe the speeds in the comercial you saw where fast because they had to be, keeping in mind a comercial is only a few seconds long, what about asking for a demostration of the phone before you buy the goddamn thing?

Autumnoel

May 17, 2008
Hollywood, FL
If you are not happy, you suit them... :p:p:p:p[/quote]

LOL I do almost feel sorry for the girl. Here where I am the 3G speed is actually way faster than Wifi. Of course there are missing features that hopefully there will be upgrades for. But a lawsuit is not warrented. Just exchange or sell it.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I am loving the new appstore commercials where you can download the app straight to your phone and boom it's ready to go. Now if the wanted to be honest, the app would take 5-10 minutes to load and install. Or the phone who crash and hang on the Apple logo forever

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
i think you americans have a big problem, well not all of you, but if somethings is not the way you think it should be, boom law suit,this kind of thinking gets me really angry, what about actually tryn to figure out the problem? maybe you don`t have a good 3g signal, maybe the speeds in the comercial you saw where fast because they had to be, keeping in mind a comercial is only a few seconds long, what about asking for a demostration of the phone before you buy the goddamn thing?
Let's not criticize people based on their country. I just read an article about Italians sunbathing at a beach not more than 10 feet from 2 dead gypsy children that had drowned shortly before. It was one of the coldest things I have read about in awhile. That said I am sure not all Italian people are cold hearted

Cusca

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
ROMANIA
www.cusca.3dk.org
@flabyboy who`s talking about dead gypsys? i was sayng that because of this also
so don`t bring to the subject things that are not realated, i don`t have anything against any country

Last edited by a moderator:

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Don't get me wrong people, I love my 3G but like some have said here misleading is not the way to go. The commercials are plain ridiculous, especially the new ones with the app store. apps do not download and install that fast at all. I just think they should find other ways to portrait what the iPhone can do without misleading.

Cusca

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
ROMANIA
www.cusca.3dk.org
dude, it`s not misleading, did u hear them say the apps download that fast? wold you like it if the comercial wold be 20 mins long and just showing the progress bar of the downloading app? be more realistic

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
It is misleading. Say someone who doesn't know anything about iPhones and is interested in buying one, by watching that commercial they will expect the phone to act that same way.

Cusca

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
ROMANIA
www.cusca.3dk.org
if someone what`s to buy a gadget like the iPhone which is expensive will reaserch a bit about it, don`t you think that`s the smart thing to do ? not go ahead and buy it and then blame the product and say, hey i saw in the 20 sec comercial that it downloaded apps instantly and mine takes forever to download, i always do a simple google search before buyng any gandgets or computer parts to see what the people who actually used them have to say about them. not get my info from a 20 sec comercial