Anybody else a tad peeved about the Netflix price hike?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Ridiculous, it goes from 9.99 to 15.98, i believe there is a huge movement across the country where people are going to cancel their accounts in mass on September 1rst.....excessive increase imo:

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I had 1 Blueray at a time plan plus streaming. It went from $12 to $19. I downgraded to streaming only for $8. I decided I will use redbox for blueray - newer movies. There loss. Kind of.

Babyt

Zealot
Gold
May 24, 2010
I had 1 Blueray at a time plan plus streaming. It went from $12 to $19. I downgraded to streaming only for $8. I decided I will use redbox for blueray - newer movies. There loss. Kind of.
Same plan here. I'm dropping DVD
Infact imdebating dropping Netflix for hulu+

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I'm not happy. We use both streaming and real disks. Especially useful because only one person in the family can stream at a time.

I might just dump it all.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Many people out there are expressing the same sentiment. One alternative might be Zediva. They offer movies for $1.99 and even have a special, 10 movies for $10. They don't offer BluRay though.

Using Zediva you can rent and instantly watch new movies much earlier (often several weeks or months) than either Netflix or Redbox. In addition you can instantly watch your DVD rentals wherever you have Internet access -- without restrictions.

esco803

Nov 18, 2007
Overall if you compare other streaming services Netflix is still a good deal. So we're going to pay, what $6 more, and people are totally upset? Are you kidding me? Some people pay that for a cup of java. EVERYDAY.

Of course this is my opinion but I still think it's a good buy.

Now, if Apple (iTunes) came out with their own subscription service (note to undercover Apple employees) I think a lot of people would jump ship.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
When you consider to rent on Apple iTunes is $3.99. If you did that just one time a week it would be $16 per month. I think what upsets people is that in this economy Netflix can raise their prices this much while our paychecks do not go up, not even a cost of living adjustment.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
When you consider to rent on Apple iTunes is $3.99. If you did that just one time a week it would be $16 per month. I think what upsets people is that in this economy Netflix can raise their prices this much while our paychecks do not go up, not even a cost of living adjustment.
Bah. Just skip a couple of fast food meals or a couple packs of cigarettes per month, whichever your poison is. :)

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I just stream so the price hike doesn't effect me. I downgraded a couple of moths back after having the 1 DVD at a time plan and every new DVD I wanted was on the waiting list. Occasionally when I rent a dvd I rent from Red box using the app.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
It's not like they raised their prices to piss people off, there's a reason behind it.
I have read quite a few articles on this since I got my email about the rate changes. The main reason for the price hike is that they cannot afford to keep offering the rate plan they had. It would be Blockbuster all over again.
It costs a lot of money just to get the DVD's in. It costs a LOT more to stream. From one article I read, Netflix pays up to around 100K for ONE episode of a TV show. Imagine the cost of a movie.
And the other problem is that the movie studios are not really into having their movies streamed anyway, so Netflix has to jump through a lot of hurdles just to bring you the content they already have.
Hulu was formed by studios and thats why they have a better streaming selection, but even their selection is quite depleted in comparison. BlockBuster is the only one that has nearly everything you want to see and they are struggling to catch up to Netflix.
The best bet is to subscribe to several different plans and that way you cover nearly all your bases.
For those like me that are on a budget and don't actually rent hard disk media, streaming is fine. 90% of what I watch anyway is cartoons and anime. If I really want to see a movie that Netflix doesn't stream, I have Comcast on-demand.

Caliphone

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
Bakersfield
I downgraded to streaming only, using Redbox for new movies, too. I was expecting it, how can Netflix be paying postage shipping DVDs back and forth for only 2 bucks a month? I was kind of surprised that they could make a profit at all before they started streaming.
Blockbuster used to have a deal where you could return your mail rental in a store and get a store rental immediately for free, while they shipped your next title. I was working that so heavy they made up some bs story about my movies frequently being lost in shipping so they were forced to cancel my plan!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I dropped Netflix a few months back. I was annoyed when they started bumping up prices for Blu Ray discs and in fact the individual plan. They were modest price increases, but still annoying. I wasn't using my account enough, so decided to drop them. They just sent me an invitation to "come back to Netflix", under the new pricing. If I didn't find value before, why would I come back now?

My issue with Netflix, is that they've killed the video rental businesss and now using their monopoly to unfairly increase prices. I certainly realize it costs a bundle for them to offer services, but their initial pricing allowed for consumers to get comfortable. What options does a consumer have at this point? The rare BlockBuster? I personally have moved to RedBox, but that won't work for everyone given the small number of titles.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I dropped Netflix a few months back. I was annoyed when they started bumping up prices for Blu Ray discs and in fact the individual plan. They were modest price increases, but still annoying. I wasn't using my account enough, so decided to drop them. They just sent me an invitation to "come back to Netflix", under the new pricing. If I didn't find value before, why would I come back now?

My issue with Netflix, is that they've killed the video rental businesss and now using their monopoly to unfairly increase prices. I certainly realize it costs a bundle for them to offer services, but their initial pricing allowed for consumers to get comfortable. What options does a consumer have at this point? The rare BlockBuster? I personally have moved to RedBox, but that won't work for everyone given the small number of titles.
I agree with your points. I have read that Netflix has had price increases from their providers (the studios) and have done their price raise in an attempt to keep their profit margins status quot. I believe they have had their costs rise, but I doubt it is to the tune of $8-$10 per person, per month - this is definitely an attempt to raise sales dollars.

What really upsets me about the whole situation is how ubiquitous they have become through their surprisingly (old) low prices. This in effect drove companies like Song (PS3), Nintendo(Wii), Apple(ATV), etc. to build their stream into the devices' hardware. So really, as you said, they were able to offer prices so low, for just long enough to put the competition out of businesss, and then once we had little to no other renting options, they raise their prices almost 50%. This just seems like shady and greedy businesss decisions. I have switched to streaming only, but i am considering just moving to redbox on demand and dumping Netflix. There are 4 within 2 miles of my house in all directions lol.