Anybody having trouble with iCloud hacks?

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by Lani Lei, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Lani Lei

Lani Lei Guest

You guys probably saw all the negative news about iCloud right, with celebrities complaining that their nude pictures have been hacked from the cloud service.

Anyone have any such trouble? Also wanted to ask, who in their right mind would upload nudes to a cloud storage service. That is just asking for trouble :sick:

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It's safe if you use a strong password. That was the problem with the celebs. Weak passwords. I see it on Twitter all the time.

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I heard on the radio that us non celebrities shouldn't be worried, just don't have a weak password. Most if not all accounts that are hacked like this are celebrities.

Also I read that the photos taken were most likely for their boyfriends or husbands far away at the time. This May or may not be true, but that's usually why the photos are taken.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm not at all surprised that folks get their iCloud accounts hacked. A week or so ago I received a phishing email from "Apple" informing me that someone had tried to log on to my iCloud account using an iPad Mini (which I don't own). Of course, I know better than to go to the "Apple" site and punch in my credentials, but a lot of people have received this phishing email recently, from what I was able to gather. People rarely bother to check the actual email address of the sender, which should have clued them in right away.

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

So far so good. All of my nud.....
    Ummm.. No problems here
    :D

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I got one that said there was a problem with my Apple account. It was sandwiched between two emails offering me $millions.

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

What email do you use that's not sending those to junk mail!? I switched to Gmail and it's awesome.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can avoid those emails by filtering your non-Gmail accounts through a Gmail account. Gmail has excellent spam filters.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

They do go to junk. But the Apple did not because I have Apple listed as a contact, so Gmail did not pick it up as spam.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have 3 non Gmail accounts. Comcast, Outlook and iCloud. But none of those get spam. Actually, all my spam comes in on my default Gmail account. Most goes straight to Junk/Spam, but I'm starting to see some coming in on my inbox. Not sure why. It has to be in the Subject wording, but I have yet to figure it out. Apple was a no brainer since I have them as a contact.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The phishing scam email that said there is a problem with your Apple account didn't actually come from Apple. Check the address. It should have gone to the junk folder along with the others offering you millions. I don't have stuff like that leak through on Gmail.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I know. But it had Apple in the address. It was Apple@appledeclined.com So since I have Apple as a contact, it came in on my inbox.

13. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

So because it had Apple, it came through? It should have only come through if it had their actual address.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's clearly not an Apple address. Your spam filter should have caught it if you're using Gmail. Are you sure it was sent to your Gmail account?

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yes. I get all my mail from Apple at a Gmail address I use very little. All sales ads, iTunes receipts, offers and anything legit from Apple goes to that account. It's the gmail account I use for Apple ID. The spam Apple email came in on my main Gmail default account. I never get Apple mail there. How would Gmail know it's spam with an address like Apple@appledeclined.com when I have Apple listed as a contact?

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I never get legitimate spam/junk from gmail email anymore with my yahoo email accounts linked to it. Of course I get advertisements but not spam/junk such as women looking for me.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Because it's not apple.com. Their spam filters are pretty good at spotting obvious fakes like that and routing them to the junk folder. I'm not sure why you're having so much spam slip through.

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't know either. I get maybe 3 a week in my inbox. Most go to junk. I have 4 gmail and the other 3. Only the default gmail account gets spam. It all started last year when I took a medical survey they was on a Rite Aid receipt. So now I'm on lists from North Africa and I don't know where all. Only in the last couple of weeks have they been coming in on my inbox. It's not as many as it was a few months ago.

19. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

very interesting article on how to hack into someone's iCloud.

How I Hacked My Own iCloud Account, for Just $200
    http://mashable.com/2014/09/04/i-hacked-my-own-icloud-account/

lessons; use strong passwords, use strong secrets, don't login to iTunes at work or public.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

#19 iP5, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014