Anybody planning to get an elegant MacBook Air?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm going to wait and hope that they introduce a new one that actually has an internal optical drive, otherwise I don't really see how it can be ultra-portable if you need to lug around the drive externally.

abian2

Dec 13, 2007
I'm going to wait and hope that they introduce a new one that actually has an internal optical drive, otherwise I don't really see how it can be ultra-portable if you need to lug around the drive externally.
They have a feature called "Remote Drive," that can install programs via bluetooth from a PC or Mac. There's a clip on Apple.com. Looks pretty cool.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah that is pretty cool, but it still requires you have another computer. If I'm on a flight and want to play a game that requires a CD or watch one of my own DVDs then I'm out of luck unless I lug around something new. Then again, I guess I could get a fellow passenger to install the "Remote Drive" software on their computer and bum off of them.

abian2

Dec 13, 2007
Yeah that is pretty cool, but it still requires you have another computer. If I'm on a flight and want to play a game that requires a CD or watch one of my own DVDs then I'm out of luck unless I lug around something new. Then again, I guess I could get a fellow passenger to install the "Remote Drive" software on their computer and bum off of them.
LOL, that is so true.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007

or, you can rip some dvds and cd games to a small portable hard drive and plug it into your usb port and play/watch away.

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
One USB ...... no Firewire. Neat little machine, but nope.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I guess if you travel a lot and spend many hours on planes in the businesss section, it's a great sexy toy to have. Those sections have outlets to plug-in laptops. I would even copy a couple of DVD's right on the HD if needed. I don't think the add-ons would weigh too much in a traveling case, anyway.
The thing is, I don't travel a lot. And the only reason for me to buy this is because I'm spoiled rotten and I can do it:p.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
No diskdrive, no deal. I understand the importance of thin, but c'mon. It is just not practical.

jdm726

Sep 10, 2007
DC
No diskdrive, no deal. I understand the importance of thin, but c'mon. It is just not practical.
ditto

and only 1 usb, no firewire, no card reader---- those are basic essentials i look for

but i love the design, its emaculate.... but like previously stated, just not practical.

gary88

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
Come on now, I mean ONE USB port? Even my Compaq Presario I had in 1999 had two! With my USB hub I'm using 7 ports right now. Everything these days is USB. No optical drive is just a flat-out dumb move. Right now it's the least practical laptop on the market.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
*all of the following statements are opinions of iamtko and are not stated to offend anyone that actually likes that P.O.S.*

i think that the MacBook Air is so highly unpractical that it was fail and Steve Jobs will lose his mind. i can just see him saying over and over "BUT IT FITS IN AN ENVELOPE!".

reasons i will not buy it:
- no optical drive (my favorite): what am i supposed to do without this? oh i know, i'll just spend $99 to lug around a separate O.drive! this means that i'll also need to get another case of some sort(or maybe a backpack..) to carry all this crap in. sure the thing is small but it gains its weight back in other things i'd have to carry around! also, i like burning things for my friends because they need to know what their missing in music :p

- 1 usb port: really? one? ok well i guess i won't be charging my PSP/DS/iPhone/iPod all at the same time anymore..

- this thing is too thin: sure it looks amazing but i really think it'll be a problem for everyday use. i think the macbook pro is the perfect size and has enough durability so i don't have to be super careful while typing.

- just another step between me and my music: if i did get this, it would be my only computer so i would have to use it for my iTunes for both my iPod and iPhone. do you know how much fun it will be uploading all my music, from CD's back onto this thing? not fun. i would have to shell out the money just to have my iTunes updated with music i already own! now maybe if Apple sent someone to your house to upload the hours of music onto it, i might buy it. no, i wouldn't actually.

there are more reasons but i really don't feel like typing anymore.
i just remember how hard i laughed when job's said he would get rid of the CD. /sigh

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
i think it's pretty practical, since they bundled the software to be able to use a local computer as a remote disc... a lot of other computers you can buy, like the OQO may be more pocketable, but they are not running OSX and don't offer external drives or a remote drive software. if you are planning to really 'go mobile' this would be the perfect mac in my opinion. most people today that i know don't burn CDs anymore or DVDs, everything is on HDD or on USB flash key drives. everything I do is on my idisk, key drive or on my ipod, iPhone.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
The biggest issues for me are:

* No DVD drive. Downloading software just isn't a practical option at the moment besides which I like backup hard copies in case anything goes wrong. Oh and don't mention Time Capsule because that's a stupid idea too - the purpose of a backup is for it to be remote like BT Vault is. Having it in your house isn't going to save you from a house fire or burglary.
* Fixed battery. On a laptop. I mean... WTF? All other things forgiven this is just an unbelievably stupid idea.
* Poor connectivity. Others have already said why so I won't go into this.
* Aluminum sounds nice but prepare yourself for dent city.
* It's thin but it's footprint is bigger than, say, a Dell M1330 which weighs less than a pound more. It doesn't matter if it fits into an envelope since, you know, you have to open it to use it.

Bluntly the only people who are going to buy this are retards with too much cash. It's neither fish nor fowl and you'd be better with a Macbook Pro or a M1330.

Apple have dropped the ball here big time which is why their stock has dropped from the near $200 to $160ish. Even Gene "comedy" Munster can't put a spin on this.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Bluntly the only people who are going to buy this are retards with too much cash. It's neither fish nor fowl and you'd be better with a Macbook Pro or a M1300.
enough said.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I will not be buying one for the following reaosns:

1. Way too expensive

2. VERY small hard drive

3. Just bought a MacBook Pro last June

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
While I agree with most of this, I don't think there is any reason to call anybody who buys the MB Air "retards" just because they have more cash than you. You may reach a time in your life when you have more cash than now. Do you want to be called a "retard" on that account?
Meanwhile, I agree that most of the criticisms are true if you plan to use your laptop as your primary computer. If it's only intended to complement the one(s) you already have, for travel, commuting, visiting the in-laws, etc...I think it's a great toy.
Apple stocks started falling with the rest of the market before the Air was announced. The Dow Jones was at 13930 a few weeks ago and is today at 12099, Google went from 742 to 601, etc, which means the whole market went down about 20%. That has nothing to do with "dropping the ball" by anybody.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I think that Air itself is a wonderful idea; but the lack of an optical drive, firewire port, one USB port, etc., has convinced me not to.

Jobs stated that it took them 2 years and over 100 models to get to this. I don't think ti would have hurt to wait 1 more year and made a few more models.

- John

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I think that Air itself is a wonderful idea; but the lack of an optical drive, firewire port, one USB port, etc., has convinced me not to.

Jobs stated that it took them 2 years and over 100 models to get to this. I don't think ti would have hurt to wait 1 more year and made a few more models.

- John
I'm not worried. They (the other models) will come.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston

- John
this made me laugh because even after so many attempts, to me it is pure garbage.

$1799 for a side-kick to a computer i don't already own? no thanks..