Anybody planning to get an elegant MacBook Air?

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
1995 called. They want their laptop back.
LOLno. That would be more relevant to the Airbook's feature set or, indeed, lack thereof. Like I said, Lenovos are iconic in their design. Not one for the gadflies I'm afraid.

Nonsense. My desktop PCs are always more powerful and more upgradeable than most laptops on the market at the same time.

No reason for me to compromise by solely using a laptop just because I need it for travel.
A lot of people aren't interested in having two PCs though and just want one that will do the job. Most of the people I know who have laptops don't have desktop PCs because they don't need them. I actually do - a Quad Core rig - but that's because I'm an avid PC gamer and filesharer. I seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

And, more importantly, my home desktop PC has work to do. It has jobs scheduled each night, and also serves up other functions such as a media server. It's there for me via remote control 24/7, from any Internet PC, should I need access to it. That's how I take that machine on the road, not by physically schlepping it around. I do likewise with my work PC. In fact I primarily use a laptop as a window to other, usually more powerful, machines.
Good for you but I doubt that's typical. Most college students or travelers aren't going to have that set up. So, whilst an Airbook suits your needs, I doubt it's going to be a practical solution for many others. Although, in fairness, I don't think Apple ever intended it to be.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
As for people suggesting that the Airbook isn't a primary unit, I rather think they're kind of not understanding what a laptop actually is.
Actually, I think you might be missing the point here. Like Tinman, my desktop is a monster. An equivalently powered laptop would definitely be too big/heavy/costly by comparison. Plus - and I think this is the main point you might not be considering - my desktop stays plugged in 24/7, and does computing for me, unattended, 24/7. A laptop can't do that, by it's very nature: it's mobile, so it's not connected *at all times*, like my desktop is.

My desktop does unattended disk maintenance, unattended full hard drive image backups to an external drive, and it records my favorite tv shows unattended, strips the commercials, then converts and imports into iTunes. All unattended. Before I leave for work in the morning, I sync my iPhone/ipod, and I have a mobile TiVo in my pocket.

I use gotomypc to access my pet monster desktop anytime from the internet, and I have scanned copies of all my important documents (right down to birth certificates and car insurance cards), financial info, etc on that computer, all highly encrypted yet available to me from any internet connection. I would *never* carry around all that stuff on a laptop, not nearly secure enough. Yet with my desktop setup, I can immediately produce a copy of a client contract, or even my last tax return if I needed to, from anywhere in the world.

I'm beating a dead horse here, but just because some folks are happy to live out of a single laptop computer doesn't mean that other folks don't have plenty of good reasons for a powerful desktop computer. And *those* folks tend to look at a laptop as a secondary machine.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Yuck! What is it with these guys and nasty color schemes? I just don't get it. All PCs seems to be ugly with their logos and stickers and bad color choices.

I mean seriously. There isn't a sticker on my Mac that says it runs Leopard.

- John
I agree with you, John. PC's ARE ugly. I guess it matters for some people, not for others. It's not the Apple Logo. The Apple hardware is more stylish, the OS has always been prettier than Windows and user friendly.
I get actual pleasure from getting my MBP out of its bag at work. I doubt my Dell-using partners get any pleasure out of their laptop. It's just a tool for them.
I wouldn't drive a used brown Toyota either, unless I am forced to.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
But there is one area where I differ from you: I think a small travel wifi router is a must. Life is just so much better - even in a hotel room! - without the cable. Plus, I used to travel with my own extra long ehternet cable and coupler, so I could strectch my tether to as far around the hotel/conference room as I wanted. Heck...a travel router isn't any bigger than a wound up 15 foot ethernet cable. Tinman, take the plunge! With a travel router, you'll never have to be concerned about the 20% yes/no WiFi at your destination. You'll KNOW you have Wifi.
Thanks. I actually have no problem with carrying around a portable WiFi router, and was planning on getting one anyway. But the issue with the Air is that I would likely need the Ethernet dongle too. There are certain client locations I go to where WiFi, at least for internal company data, is prohibited.

For the record, in case I was blinded by lust for the Air I went and looked at other ultra portables. I really didn't see anything that stood out for me like the Air does, and prices were usually higher. Moreover since I have no Mac, and am about ready to replace last year's laptop, this seems like it could possibly kill two birds with one stone (new laptop and new Mac).

Main issue is still the HD size, especially since I need to run Windows: I'd guess OS X and Windows alone would eat up a lot of space on that 80 GB drive. And of course HD speed.

Also want to know if the remote disk feature works when in Windows via Boot Camp (and/or via VM). I know you can mount a remote disk on a Windows box to be used on the Air. But I want to know if you can read remote disks--mounted on either a Mac or PC--when running Windows on the Air.

--
Mike

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I disagree on the laptop, the Dell XPS M1330 in the red is very nice and for the price of $1399 for a 2.2gHz, 250GB, DVD+RW that is hard to beat.:eek:

I agree with you, John. PC's ARE ugly. I guess it matters for some people, not for others. It's not the Apple Logo. The Apple hardware is more stylish, the OS has always been prettier than Windows and user friendly.
I get actual pleasure from getting my MBP out of its bag at work. I doubt my Dell-using partners get any pleasure out of their laptop. It's just a tool for them.
I wouldn't drive a used brown Toyota either, unless I am forced to.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Actually, I think you might be missing the point here. Like Tinman, my desktop is a monster.
Not really since you fall into the desktop and laptop category like Tinman and I do.

I'm beating a dead horse here, but just because some folks are happy to live out of a single laptop computer doesn't mean that other folks don't have plenty of good reasons for a powerful desktop computer. And *those* folks tend to look at a laptop as a secondary machine.
No arguments there but I'm not convinced that's the typical picture.

Jan 17, 2008
You guys have convinced me: I'm buying it! I can't wait to see all the disgusted looks in everybody's face when I take it to Starbucks!

Hhahaha! What are you going to do with your old machines? Are you willing to sell it?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Actually, I think you might be missing the point here. Like Tinman, my desktop is a monster. An equivalently powered laptop would definitely be too big/heavy/costly by comparison. Plus - and I think this is the main point you might not be considering - my desktop stays plugged in 24/7, and does computing for me, unattended, 24/7. A laptop can't do that, by it's very nature: it's mobile, so it's not connected *at all times*, like my desktop is.

My desktop does unattended disk maintenance, unattended full hard drive image backups to an external drive, and it records my favorite tv shows unattended, strips the commercials, then converts and imports into iTunes. All unattended. Before I leave for work in the morning, I sync my iPhone/ipod, and I have a mobile TiVo in my pocket.

I use gotomypc to access my pet monster desktop anytime from the internet, and I have scanned copies of all my important documents (right down to birth certificates and car insurance cards), financial info, etc on that computer, all highly encrypted yet available to me from any internet connection. I would *never* carry around all that stuff on a laptop, not nearly secure enough. Yet with my desktop setup, I can immediately produce a copy of a client contract, or even my last tax return if I needed to, from anywhere in the world.

Bingo. And as such that secondary machine doesn't necessarily need all the features of a desktop machine, especially if size and weight are concerns.

And as far as buying it for beauty, I actually read about the Air while in a car driving through the desert, during the keynote (I was a passenger). All I had were the specs, no photos, and I wanted it. I like small laptops.

Ten years ago I traveled with a video tape-sized Toshiba Libretto (hardware overclocked!). You wouldn't believe the work I got done on that little gem (wish I still had it). Heck that thing was so small as long as it was closed flight attendants didn't even ask me to put it away during takeoffs and landings.

Before that I had a Portege, and before that the ingenius IBM Thinkpad 701, with the amazing butterfly keyboard. It's too bad that design wasn't still around (could fit a full size keyboard in a 15" laptop, or a bigger keyboard in 12" models).

--
Mike

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
9 years ago I bought the Sony Vaio N505VX small and lightweight with Win 98 on it. To me the MacAir is so much like the vaio and it made me then work differently because because it did not have a cd/dvd drive in it. If I wanted to add software or content, I had to connect it to another desktop to run the software etc etc.

Anyway last year my 8 yr old, finds that and pulled it out, cleaned it up, googled and said the OS could be upgraded to Win 2000 Pro (which I had the disk) he upgraded it, I then bought a wireless card for him, so now he uses it like the air to connect to his desktop for software running etc. And when he saw the TV commercial he said Daddy that air is just like my laptop.;)

Bingo. And as such that secondary machine doesn't necessarily need all the features of a desktop machine, especially if size and weight are concerns.

And as far as buying it for beauty, I actually read about the Air while in a car driving through the desert, during the keynote (I was a passenger). All I had were the specs, no photos, and I wanted it. I like small laptops.

Ten years ago I traveled with a video tape-sized Toshiba Libretto (hardware overclocked!). You wouldn't believe the work I got done on that little gem (wish I still had it). Heck that thing was so small as long as it was closed flight attendants didn't even ask me to put it away during takeoffs and landings.

Before that I had a Portege, and before that the ingenius IBM Thinkpad 701, with the amazing butterfly keyboard. It's too bad that design wasn't still around (could fit a full size keyboard in a 15" laptop, or a bigger keyboard in 12" models).

--
Mike

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I would bet everyone who is claiming the missing optical drive as a reason not to buy it hasn't ever used a computer without an optical drive before.

It's fairly easy. Just get some virtual drive software, and keep ISOs (image files) on your hard drive. Voila, instant access to your CDs/DVDs. (You can't really get the picture just trying that on a computer that has a real drive, though.)

I used that trick on my old Motion Computing M1200 tablet and my current Lenovo X60 tablet. Despite my initial hesitation, I never found myself missing the optical drive. At all.

That said, I wouldn't buy it either; they STILL haven't caught on to the idea of integrating a tablet/touchscreen to the Mac. This thing costs more than my tablet PC did.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
9 years ago I bought the Sony Vaio N505VX small and lightweight with Win 98 on it. To me the MacAir is so much like the vaio and it made me then work differently because because it did not have a cd/dvd drive in it. If I wanted to add software or content, I had to connect it to another desktop to run the software etc etc.

Anyway last year my 8 yr old, finds that and pulled it out, cleaned it up, googled and said the OS could be upgraded to Win 2000 Pro (which I had the disk) he upgraded it, I then bought a wireless card for him, so now he uses it like the air to connect to his desktop for software running etc. And when he saw the TV commercial he said Daddy that air is just like my laptop.;)
Nice embellishment. Here's the real story:
"Dad, look at the neat Macbook Air! Can we buy one? Please!"

"Shut up and enjoy the laptop I just gave you. It's practically the same thing. Ask again and there will be no ColecoVision for a week!"

--
Mike

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Nice embellishment. Here's the real story:
"Dad, look at the neat Macbook Air! Can we buy one? Please!"

"Shut up and enjoy the laptop I just gave you. It's practically the same thing. Ask again and there will be no ColecoVision for a week!"

--
Mike

That is so funny what you said because, because that is exactly what he said.

Also the battery that it came with as cylced past its worthiness, and will only last a few minutes so it has to stay on the elec cord. I told him to search for a new battery.

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
The MBA is for me alright. I will mostly be using it for websurfing and microsoft words.
I rarely use the optical drive, the only thing I would use it for is buring dvds.

Aug 30, 2007
Ohio
Yep, I'll almost certainly get the Mac Book Air.

I don't want to get one.

I have no reason to get one.

But I know once I see it in the Apple Store, I'll be helpless.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
The first main reviews are in (from the usual favourites) and most are fairly ambiguous. Yes, they all say it's lovely and, yes, they all agree that it has major issues, the key one being the battery. According to the reviews you're only going to get about three hours out of it on heavy usage (watching a DVD) and about 4 on normal. All are equally in agreement that you would have to be bonkers to have it as your main computer.

I think the main thing to me is the amout of compromise involved. If you want to use more than one USB device you need a hub. If you want to install software (like XP) you need an optical drive. If you want to connect to the ethernet you need a connector. All of these add to the weight and spoil the design so you have to ask yourself what's the point?

I still maintain it's neither fish nor fowl and will only appeal to those who want a limited secondary machine or those who are more concerned with style than substance. Anyone else should probably opt for a different option.

Jan 17, 2008
Did you hear?

I am quoting this from someone who attended the Mac World 2008 Conference.

Someone mentioned that the Air is similar to the G4 Cube. They said "overpriced" and nothing really spectacular.... It didn't do so well and this is just like it...

I hope not... Why do we have to go back to that again... Why can't Mac move ahead and stay there and relax.... There is no room in the market to make mistakes...:(:sick::oops:

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
Seeing as how I have never owned a Mac (used them many times at work and school, just never owned one) and how I am dependent on Windows for my work-realted stuff, I could see myself getting an MBA as a personal second machine for travel, etc. I will wait to look at it at the Apple store first to see how fast it is and see what kinds of things are included. I'm in a situation a lot like Tinman, I have lots of other resources besides the optical drive and a single USB port is no show-stopper for me. I also have WiFi access pretty much everywhere I go.

It's not about the money, it's about how well the device works for the individual. If I like it, I will buy one.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yep, I'll almost certainly get the Mac Book Air.

I don't want to get one.

I have no reason to get one.

But I know once I see it in the Apple Store, I'll be helpless.
I feel your pain. I cannot walk out of an Apple Store empty handed.

- John

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I am quoting this from someone who attended the Mac World 2008 Conference.

Someone mentioned that the Air is similar to the G4 Cube. They said "overpriced" and nothing really spectacular.... It didn't do so well and this is just like it...
I don't think so. The Cube was a fluke. The MBA is flawed, but it's the first of a new line. There will be more.