Anybody with iTunes match having problems with docks/cars?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by fury, Sep 27, 2012.

1. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I have seen an issue where the person's songs are all in iTunes match, they've just upgraded to iOS 6 (by getting an iPhone 5, but I'm not sure it's an iPhone 5 issue). With iTunes match in iOS 6, apparently songs are not getting physically stored on the phone, and certain accessories don't see them, e.g. the ones that give you a menu to browse through the list of songs and playlists on the device. It's really hard to track down, cause you take the phone out of the dock and look at the music app and all the songs are there and you can play them, but they don't appear on the display of the accessory. What's worse is now there's no indication that they're NOT stored on the phone, because the cloud icon went away. You can only tell that they're gone when you go airplane mode and then run back to the music app and the songs are all greyed out.

2. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

I remember reading a news article on cnet that said music with icloud, now streams instead of downloading and it is trickier to download from icloud. So maybe it's the same with iTunes match.

3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

That CNET article is about iTunes Match. http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57517864-285/understanding-itunes-match-in-ios-6/

I can not get this problem to happen with regular iCloud/iTunes music. It has to be iTunes Match, because that's the feature that enables this strange ethereal song list in the music app. Is it actually there on the device or is it in the cloud and going to be streamed? No way to tell from just plain looking at it.

If iTunes match isn't on (or "show all music" is not enabled underneath it) then the music app's interface mirrors the database that it's telling the accessory, and you'll know right off the bat, "well, I have no music on here, that would be why I don't hear music when I plug it in here". With iTunes Match on, the phone says it has music, but it tells the accessory a different story. I wonder how widespread the issue is. I'm guessing while the number of people who use accessories like docks and car integration is rather high, and the number of people who use iTunes match may be significant, the number of people who use both (and are on iOS 6 where this issue presents itself) is not yet very big.

Has to be an oversight on Apple's part, I mean, I can not think of any reason why they should not present the same list of songs to an accessory as they present in the music app.

4. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Wow you must be a mind reader, that is definitely the article I was thinking about! But hmm, unfortunately it seems like a function of iOS 6 the way you describe it. Hopefully we aren't far off from bug fixes for iOS 6 because that is definitely not working the way it should.

5. Hakatene

Hakatene New Member

I turned off music match and icloud bcoz of many issues and I also now use ifunbox i find it easier than iTunes to manage and move files