Anyone accidentally swipe over to spotlight search on a regular?

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I can see how Spotlight could be useful but since I never use it I agree that it is annoying to accidentally swipe to it from your first homepage. I used to do it quite often until I jailbroke my iPhone 4 and discovered the NoSpot tweak which disables Spotlight.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I use it a lot. You can open apps with it, do a web search and pull up contacts. It's faster than scrolling several pages and opening a folder.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Really?
Do u forget where u put stuff on your phone?

Sorry John, couldn't help myself. Just messing with ya. 236 am and nothing else to do, except maybe go to bed....
Good nite!
Lol. I know where everything is and I suppose it's just convenience. I can find a song quickly and easily, same with emails and apps. I use Spotlight on my Mac regularly and I was very pleased when they added it to iOS.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I also use it on a regular basis, especially after jail breaking. With Infinifolders and such, you can pack some many things in there it can be more of a search digging through folders.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Find it very useful. One thing I do is hide the games so that my little ones aren't constantly whining for the phone. Also with jailbreaking I bury rarely used apps in folders and the folder deep in a sliding dock. Spotlight is the quickest way to find it but would prefer a search button ;)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I also use it on a regular basis, especially after jail breaking. With Infinifolders and such, you can pack some many things in there it can be more of a search digging through folders.

I'm the same I have folders within folders to keep my Springboard tidy and Spotlight becomes very handy when searching for something quickly. I've been stock since the release of iOS 5 and I used QuickGoogle (Cydia tweak) and now Spotlights web search function gives me everything I need.

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
Find it very useful. One thing I do is hide the games so that my little ones aren't constantly whining for the phone. Also with jailbreaking I bury rarely used apps in folders and the folder deep in a sliding dock. Spotlight is the quickest way to find it but would prefer a search button ;)
I use Poof (through SBSettings) to hide apps, but Spotlight can still access them, so it comes in really handy when I want to use them every long once in a while without un-Poofing them.

Rather than NoSpot, I enjoy the exact opposite tweak: Wraparound. It allows you to scroll through all of your home pages and Spotlight continuously.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I use Poof (through SBSettings) to hide apps, but Spotlight can still access them, so it comes in really handy when I want to use them every long once in a while without un-Poofing them.

Rather than NoSpot, I enjoy the exact opposite tweak: Wraparound. It allows you to scroll through all of your home pages and Spotlight continuously.

Wraparound is a quality add-on. I showed a couple of people and they all said it was crap... I think it should be a stock feature.

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
Just want to add a compromise between having Spotlight or not.... Just install "No Keyboard Spotlight" free in Cydia and works on ios5.0...a nice little tweak which only shows the keyboard when you touch the search window:)...as a very infrequent user of Spotlight it's perfect for me...:D

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
It makes tons of sense on my phone as I only have one page of apps, seeing how I keep everything else in folders in my dock using FolderEnhancer with Infinidock.
I use FolderEnhancer too. Trawling your way through folders when you can simply perform a search makes much more sense to me.

Just want to add a compromise between having Spotlight or not.... Just install "No Keyboard Spotlight" free in Cydia and works on ios5.0...a nice little tweak which only shows the keyboard when you touch the search window:)...as a very infrequent user of Spotlight it's perfect for me...:D
I've used that particular tweak in the passed. I don't know why so many people hate/dislike Spotlight. It's the best search engine. Ever.