Anyone besides me possibly giving up iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Just curious. I got my iPhone as a gift (would feel the same way if I bought it) and have enjoyed it. Having an iPod and my phone together has been nice. It is a very attractive and impressive device.

However, coming from a Blackberry there were a few things I got used to having that I was oh so hoping the update would take care of. I got used to being able to copy/paste, to double-tap for a period (oh, we got that), email that was like IM it was so fast, 3P applications galore that can run natively, etc, etc.

I don't want to and in no way am trying to take potshots at the iPhone. It is a great phone and a great iPod. However, it appears that unless hacked (and voiding warranties, risking a brick, etc) the iPhone will be a walled garden for Apple to provide what they want and when they want. Apple claimed they would delight us. Maybe iTunes functionality did delight the masses but it did nothing for me. From my perspective, Apple did little more than create another way for us to give them more $$. I have a $600/$500 phone that still cannot send MMS, cannot IM, cannot load ANYthing natively that will improve my experience with the phone. Color me unimpressed.

The new Curve will be coming out soon and it will allow 3P applications, have built in GPS and I think may even have wi-fi. I admit that if I switch I will be giving up the best internet experience found on a phone but I will be gaining real email, real IM, real whatever-the-hell-I-want via 3P apps. The iPhone is far from a bad phone, I just don't think I was or am the target market. Maybe I will calm down and change my mind, I don't know. I just think it sucks that I have a phone that lacks functionality that a friggin SideKick has...

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
ahhh i think you're letting the "businesss" get the best of you..
jk :p

i personally do not even use the email feature on the iPhone because i find email slow and annoying :< maybe that's because i'm a college student and don't have a job where email keeps me in constant contact.

as for other smartphones(what have you) there probably are better ones for the businesssmen.

it would be really nice if you could switch your sim card out with the iPhone like you can with other phones, so that you don't have to be stuck to the limitations of each phone. for instance, i go to quite a few concerts and i would love to be able to switch to a cheaper, more durable phone since mosh pits seem like an iPhones worst enemy :O

either way, i think you'll end up making the best decision for "you"

on a side note, when i got my iPhone my dad got pissed because i upgraded from the christmas present he gave me.. so just be careful because people who give technology as gifts don't understand when you want to upgrade :(

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
ahhh i think you're letting the "businesss" get the best of you..
jk :p

i personally do not even use the email feature on the iPhone because i find email slow and annoying :< maybe that's because i'm a college student and don't have a job where email keeps me in constant contact.

as for other smartphones(what have you) there probably are better ones for the businesssmen.

it would be really nice if you could switch your sim card out with the iPhone like you can with other phones, so that you don't have to be stuck to the limitations of each phone. for instance, i go to quite a few concerts and i would love to be able to switch to a cheaper, more durable phone since mosh pits seem like an iPhones worst enemy :O

either way, i think you'll end up making the best decision for "you"

on a side note, when i got my iPhone my dad got pissed because i upgraded from the christmas present he gave me.. so just be careful because people who give technology as gifts don't understand when you want to upgrade :(
I think you can switch your SIM out. I know you can take the SIM out of the iPhone with a paper clip and you should be able to just pop it into a cheap $20 phone. I am not sure how the network will treat it when you put it back into the iPhone but you could always ask an AT&T rep. I know I have a cheapo phone that I did this with when I used to have a motorcycle. I didn't want a big bulky phone (or an expensive one) in my pocket when riding.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
There are certainly things that I dislike about the iPhone, but for the most part it is a phone that works and meets my needs about 80% of the way there. I have made the decision to not update to 1.1.1 at least until the iPhoneringtonemaker is updated or at least works again. That is really my biggest gripe with Apple right now, I completely disagree with how they handled this current update.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
I think you can switch your SIM out. I know you can take the SIM out of the iPhone with a paper clip and you should be able to just pop it into a cheap $20 phone. I am not sure how the network will treat it when you put it back into the iPhone but you could always ask an AT&T rep. I know I have a cheapo phone that I did this with when I used to have a motorcycle. I didn't want a big bulky phone (or an expensive one) in my pocket when riding.
it would be great if someone else could back this up with a personal experience or two, because i would REALLY love to put my sim back into my SamsungD900 when the chances of breaking my iPhone increase.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
it would be great if someone else could back this up with a personal experience or two, because i would REALLY love to put my sim back into my SamsungD900 when the chances of breaking my iPhone increase.
I will look into this as I may know someone who would know but it will be next week before I can get ahold of them.

JeffBobula

Bronze
Apr 20, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
My girlfriend just got a Blackberry after me having the iPhone since release day. I was excited to see what all the hubbub was about, and try it out, but after an hour of fooling around with it, it just felt like a cheap slab of plastic for close to the same price as the iPhone. Not to bag on it (as I know you weren't about the iPhone) but everything about it seemed second rate compared to what Apple offers in terms of features and ease of use. Even Palm and the Treo are light years ahead of Blackberries I think, again, with features and ease of use.

Its going to take a long time for someone to trump the iPhone (for me at least!).

It might take awhile, but we know at least our iPhones will have continuous updates to our requests!

Jun 26, 2007
just to let you know, if you are disappointed with no IM
there is a website
www.beejive.com
it is specifically formated for the iPhone and you don't have to mod to use it
simply go on that website
and BAM, IM
and it doesn't count against texts

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
just to let you know, if you are disappointed with no IM
there is a website
www.beejive.com
it is specifically formated for the iPhone and you don't have to mod to use it
simply go on that website
and BAM, IM
and it doesn't count against texts
I actually beta tested Jive Talk with BeeJive for the Blackberry. It is the best IM (aggregate) client I have ever used. I am very familiar with that app and the awesome people that work there. Their support is amazing. I have a lifetime license for any device.

The problem with JT for the iPhone is that it is not native and automatically shuts down when Safari times out. I know BeeJive is considering a native app but I do not know if it will be sanctioned by Apple or if it will require modding.

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I posted a thread about this very thing. I gave up my iPhone and went back to the blackberry. I am a HARDCORE mac loyalist...I was 3rd in line on iPhone day, waited 13 hours...but at the end of the day I got tired of the sluggish email.

Don't get me wrong...as soon as a new version iPhone 2 or whatever its called comes out I'll jump right back on the bandwagon.

Don't feel guilty...it's just businesss.

Just curious. I got my iPhone as a gift (would feel the same way if I bought it) and have enjoyed it. Having an iPod and my phone together has been nice. It is a very attractive and impressive device.

However, coming from a Blackberry there were a few things I got used to having that I was oh so hoping the update would take care of. I got used to being able to copy/paste, to double-tap for a period (oh, we got that), email that was like IM it was so fast, 3P applications galore that can run natively, etc, etc.

I don't want to and in no way am trying to take potshots at the iPhone. It is a great phone and a great iPod. However, it appears that unless hacked (and voiding warranties, risking a brick, etc) the iPhone will be a walled garden for Apple to provide what they want and when they want. Apple claimed they would delight us. Maybe iTunes functionality did delight the masses but it did nothing for me. From my perspective, Apple did little more than create another way for us to give them more $$. I have a $600/$500 phone that still cannot send MMS, cannot IM, cannot load ANYthing natively that will improve my experience with the phone. Color me unimpressed.

The new Curve will be coming out soon and it will allow 3P applications, have built in GPS and I think may even have wi-fi. I admit that if I switch I will be giving up the best internet experience found on a phone but I will be gaining real email, real IM, real whatever-the-hell-I-want via 3P apps. The iPhone is far from a bad phone, I just don't think I was or am the target market. Maybe I will calm down and change my mind, I don't know. I just think it sucks that I have a phone that lacks functionality that a friggin SideKick has...

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
I posted a thread about this very thing. I gave up my iPhone and went back to the blackberry. I am a HARDCORE mac loyalist...I was 3rd in line on iPhone day, waited 13 hours...but at the end of the day I got tired of the sluggish email.

Don't get me wrong...as soon as a new version iPhone 2 or whatever its called comes out I'll jump right back on the bandwagon.

Don't feel guilty...it's just businesss.
i love how a mac advocate said "it's just businesss".

aren't all you mac people like flower power and things like that?

:pjk