Anyone bought a car recently?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I am looking to trade in my vehicle for a more fuel efficient one. I currently have a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, and am looking at an Audi A4. MSRP for the A4 is about 33,000. What would be a good discount given the economy. I know when buying outright, you get a discount, I am hoping that I can get a fully loaded or well equipped Audi A4 for a straight up trade in.

What are your thoughts EIC?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I am looking to trade in my vehicle for a more fuel efficient one. I currently have a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, and am looking at an Audi A4. MSRP for the A4 is about 33,000. What would be a good discount given the economy. I know when buying outright, you get a discount, I am hoping that I can get a fully loaded or well equipped Audi A4 for a straight up trade in.

What are your thoughts EIC?
personally, i love the A4, but if you're getting it to save money in the long run, you do know its German, right? ;)

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
personally, i love the A4, but if you're getting it to save money in the long run, you do know its German, right? ;)
Not so much long run, but right now I fill up about every 4-5 days at $40 with premium gasoline. The audi probably isn't premium recommended, at about 25 mpg, and I would fill up every 10ish days, for $25 regular unleaded.
What do you mean by long run and it being German?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Not so much long run, but right now I fill up about every 4-5 days at $40 with premium gasoline. The audi probably isn't premium recommended, at about 25 mpg, and I would fill up every 10ish days, for $25 regular unleaded.
You'd be surprised. Even the MB C300 requires premium.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I'm pretty sure that the A4 probably requires premium, being considered a luxury car.

Not to mention oil changes on an Audi run upwards of $100 (synthetic oil only).

Oh and German cars, especially in the VW family, which audi is, are not exactly know for their reliability. Trust me, I'm on my second VW.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I'm pretty sure that the A4 probably requires premium, being considered a luxury car.

Oh and German cars, especially in the VW family, which audi is, are not exactly know for their reliability. Trust me, I'm on my second VW.
German cars are getting better. Especially newer models.
I know Audi and VW are the same company, but Audi is their "higher" division which they put in more quality, if that makes sense.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007

I just looked online and Audi says since it is a turbo it does require premium or else it could have long term affects if only used regular.

As for the oil changes, it is going to be more than the average vehicle, but not going to be that expensive because mine is $85 with 7 liters of Synthetic Mobile 1 required. I am not sure if the A4 requires Mobile 1, but I would estimate oil changes to be around $50.

I always thought of the Germans to have good engineering?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I just looked online and Audi says since it is a turbo it does require premium or else it could have long term affects if only used regular.

As for the oil changes, it is going to be more than the average vehicle, but not going to be that expensive because mine is $85 with 7 liters of Synthetic Mobile 1 required. I am not sure if the A4 requires Mobile 1, but I would estimate oil changes to be around $50.

I always thought of the Germans to have good engineering?
The Germans have excellent engineering.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i drive a saab 9-3 turbo right now while finishing up school. once i get some bills paid for and settled into my profession i will pick up a CTS-V and possibly a maserati or aston martin down the road.

http://www.cadillac.com/09ctsv/

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
i drive a saab 9-3 turbo right now while finishing up school. once i get some bills paid for and settled into my profession i will pick up a CTS-V and possibly a maserati or aston martin down the road.

http://www.cadillac.com/09ctsv/
The new CTS-V is an amazing car, and crazy fast for a Cadillac.
You are saying you won't drive an Audi but will drive an American made European car? They can't even do American cars correctly.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Matt-Audi parts are very expensive when you have to repair the car once it is out of warranty. I am not sure this is the best car to chose if you need to save money. My company makes aftermarket car parts so I know a little bit about this, although I have not researched the car you are considering.

I just bought a Honda Element. It is not fancy, but it suits me.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
This may be a rash of bad luck. I know 5 VW owners, and 1 Audi owner - all 6 are fighting lemon laws. 1 already has been returned and settled. So that leaves 5 to go.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
sorry but have you even tried to get a trade in value for your jeep? there is no way there even going to give close to that. I would start by trying to get rid of what your driving before you think about buying something else. Your better off trying to sell to an individual. If you remember when I was looking at the srt-10 ram the 06 model with less than 1000 miles were only pulling 26K and that was from a individual. Those guys were getting offered 16K for trade in. so your looking a 10k in the hole.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have several friends that have Audis and I haven't really noticed THAT many complaints from them. You do have to account for the whole, European expensive part thing but that's the same way with any European import.

At what year Audi are you looking? If you're looking at new cars then they come standard with rather good warranties so you shouldn't have to really worry about wear and tear and such for at least 50,000 miles. If you plan on having the car for a period long than that then I would definitely suggest an extended warranty.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Matt-Audi parts are very expensive when you have to repair the car once it is out of warranty. I am not sure this is the best car to chose if you need to save money. My company makes aftermarket car parts so I know a little bit about this, although I have not researched the car you are considering.

I just bought a Honda Element. It is not fancy, but it suits me.
Koko,
Thank you for the advice, I am definitely going to be keeping this in mind throughout my decision. The one thing I love about Audi is the design and the quattro. I am going to be living there is going to be inclement weather, so I will only be getting one with all wheel drive. As for styling, I am very picky about cars I like, and I have to like the styling of a car to get it.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
sorry but have you even tried to get a trade in value for your jeep? there is no way there even going to give close to that. I would start by trying to get rid of what your driving before you think about buying something else. Your better off trying to sell to an individual. If you remember when I was looking at the srt-10 ram the 06 model with less than 1000 miles were only pulling 26K and that was from a individual. Those guys were getting offered 16K for trade in. so your looking a 10k in the hole.
Acutally, I have over the summer and could have gotten a brand new Audi A4 with everything but navigation. They had a value of the car for $27,000. I know what you are saying about selling it to an individual but here is why I do not want to do that. When selling it the dealer and doing a cash deal, I will be getting a discount off of MSRP and they can value the higher because they will be selling it for an even higher markup. I think it will be too difficult to sell it privately for a price I want.
I am going to Audi tomorrow and see what the verdict is.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Koko,
Thank you for the advice, I am definitely going to be keeping this in mind throughout my decision. The one thing I love about Audi is the design and the quattro. I am going to be living there is going to be inclement weather, so I will only be getting one with all wheel drive. As for styling, I am very picky about cars I like, and I have to like the styling of a car to get it.
Audi all road is one of the cars that we make parts for! They have a fancy air suspension system on them. You can raise or lower the car depending on road conditions. The car is very good for when you need all wheel drive. (So are Subarus). If you buy the quattro and if you need new air springs for the suspension I will get you a good deal!

Phil is right that the extended warranty on these European cars can be a good idea.