Anyone bought one for a friend abroad ?

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
Because I need to get a new iPhone pretty soon my friend in the US has offered to buy one from Apple and ship it to me in the UK so I can unlock etc.

The main reasons for this are that I'm not on the iPhone contract (O2-UK) and have no intention of being either. Every bit of my 2g 8GB works 100% with my current tariff, but I've been having problems with it so I'm looking to upgrade to the 3G phone.

In an Apple store in the US the 8GB 3G is $199 (about £130 at current rates)
In an Apple store here in the UK the 8GB 3G is £342 (about $495 USD !)

So you can see why so many iPhone owners in the UK want to use well known auction sites to buy directly from the US. However, I want to get it direct from Apple.

Have any of you bought an iPhone in an Apple store & sent it to a friend or family member abroad & did the people at Apple ask you to go on the iPhone call plan when you bought it ?

My friend has basically said that she'll go buy it from Apple, tell them its a surprise gift and that I'll be coming in to activate it or do it online. But I obviously won't as I intent to unlock & jailbreak it when received & use my current SIM.

Thanks.

josmi

Bronze
Jan 6, 2009
If its a gift, they might offer to give her a gift card for you to come in and redeem your prize.

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
If its a gift, they might offer to give her a gift card for you to come in and redeem your prize.
Yeah thats what I'm worried about .... might be a bit difficult & expensive for me to go shopping for a new iPhone in Texas ! :p

josmi

Bronze
Jan 6, 2009
I am useless when it comes to tricking Apple. :p
You could always buy your iPhone wholesale from www.erdsupply.com.

It's legit, I know someone who buys a bunch and sells them for $150 more.

$289.99 for an 8gig 3G isn't bad at all! But to order from there you gotta pay $29.99 for a life time membership.

Good luck. :laugh2:

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
Hmmm, an interesting option if all else fails with Apple.

Thanks ;)

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I purchased one for someone in Russia, though he paid me a good premium for my time and effort involved and covered the ETF from AT&T as well. This was still cheaper for him by a couple hundred dollars than buying one locally.

You can't buy one as a gift without signing up for a plan first - whoever buys one for you directly from Apple or AT&T will need to sign up for a plan, pay for the first month of it ($69.99 + taxes at least), cancel it after 30 days (so they can avoid returning the iPhone at cancellation), and then pay the ETF fee ($175). With all of that, it may still be cheaper to go the eBay route...

WPeterson

Bronze
Dec 15, 2008
heeee, nowadays the unlocked is not that difficult in most cases. if you prefer official unlocked iPhone, try those hong-kong ones on ebay.

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
I am useless when it comes to tricking Apple. :p
You could always buy your iPhone wholesale from www.erdsupply.com.

It's legit, I know someone who buys a bunch and sells them for $150 more.

$289.99 for an 8gig 3G isn't bad at all! But to order from there you gotta pay $29.99 for a life time membership.

Good luck. :laugh2:
Josmi, would you mind asking your friend where erdsupply stand on UK delivery ? I've used every email on their site to contact them but not had one reply ! Cheers ;)

josmi

Bronze
Jan 6, 2009
Josmi, would you mind asking your friend where erdsupply stand on UK delivery ? I've used every email on their site to contact them but not had one reply ! Cheers ;)
:eek: friend? I said someone I knew. :p
I actually heard of the website from someone who I tried to purchase a 3G from. He was selling a buncha brand new sealed 3G's on craigslist but ran out when he got to me. -_-

But he told me his secret. That website.
Never really spoke to him. Just an email or two.

Sorry. :oops:

If they don't do UK delivery, you could always do the middle-man routine through your originial friend who was gonna trick Apple.