Anyone buy the 5k iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by raqball, Oct 22, 2014.

1. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Has anyone here purchased the 5K iMac?

I am curious to know if there are any issues with the system as it tries to push the 5K display..

2. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I've been waiting for the new iMac.

My biggest decision is what to do with the storage situation. Go with 512 SSD and use external HDD for storage of video etc or go with the 3TB Fusion drive.

I have to sort this out.

BTW, the initial reviews of the Retina iMacs are really very good! The only people really complaining about the specs are "gamers"...so I'm not concerned. You're never keeping "gamers" happy no matter what so there's that.

My main thing is video editing so I need to run FCPX and that doesn't seem to be any sort of concern. When I moved over to FCPX it became clear immediately that my Early 2009 24" iMac wasn't gonna get the job done. Rendering is painfully slow but the new machines handle it great for my needs.

I'm planning on this:

27" w/ 5K Retina Display
    4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
    3TB Fusion Drive OR 512GB Flash Storage (Can't decide what to do)
    AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5

That ought to hold me over for a long long time! :D

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Gamers want performance and higher frame rates. As a computer sales rep at Best Buy, I point them in the direction of AMD. Despite the fact they are known for overheating issues, they are prefect for overclocking and playing next-gen games.

#3 silvermoon, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  4. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

Flash storage is where it's at I would go that route for sure without question and then just use an external.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I am still kicking the idea around, I just don't know if I want to shell out north of $3K for it..

#5 raqball, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  6. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Went to one of the local Apple stores today and they had the iMac Retina on display. WOW. UNREAL!

No question now...I'm getting one.

Probably gonna go with the 3TB fusion drive!

7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I might hit the Apple store this weekend and take a look at one..

The problem is that if I like it, I will have to get it and it's probably serious overkill for my needs but heck, you only live once right?

8. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Correct.

9. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I am going to hit the Apple store today and check it out..

I had originally planned on getting a new iMac next year to replace the 2009 version that's upstairs in my sons room but if this is as sweet as I imagine it to be, I may just have to plunk out the mega cash for it..

If not, I have my other eye on a refurbished mid 2014 iMac at the online store.. The refurb is $929 v $3,000+ if I go with the 5K...

Decisions, decisions, decisions..

10. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Just back home from the Apple store....

Holy cowabunga that 5K iMac is flat out stunning! WOW!

That said, I don't think I will be springing for one.. I played with it for a good 30 minutes and the text just looked super tiny to me in many different areas. I compared it to a 27" regular iMac that was sitting next to it and found that I actually preferred it..

I am probably going to pounce on the refurbished one I post about above and call it a day..

But man that 5K screen is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

11. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I am going to go and play with it some more too since this issue of really small type is somewhat of a concern. There is no rush to get one so could be the regular 27" may be good enough. But yeah that Retina screen is incredible!

12. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

@raqball Out of curiosity can you elaborate on the applications or websites that caused you to think the text looked tiny? Like I said I will be taking some more time to play with the new riMac and want to test as best I can.

13. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Everything in Safari looked small unless you went with a smaller sized window. The text on the top menu bar (File Edit ect) was super tiny. Using Finder I could hardly read the file names..

In short, just about everything has tiny text.. I'm old though but even with my contacts in it was hard reading..

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Thanks. Gonna give it a good test drive maybe on Monday.

15. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Cool.. YMMV depending on your eyesight. I do fine on my rMBP but there is no way I could deal with that tiny text.. A young person with good eyesight will probably think it's fine..

Just looking at the screen alone makes you want to drool though..

16. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

When I looked at the Retina in the Apple store they didn't have the non retina side by side. Hopefully they will at another Apple store. That is really the best way to can compare. Jumping from one table to the other is difficult.

17. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

You might also go to your local best buy and see if they have the retina models. I'll be working at the local best buy this weekend if you can't get to a best buy.

18. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I am going to do a 180 on this..

I was back at the Apple store today and while waiting I went back to play with the 5K... Today the text was fine and the exact same size as it was on the regular 27" that was right next to it. Of course on the 5K, it was 100x more crisp and clear.

Maybe someone had changed the resolution last time before I got on it? I don't know but it was a much different experience today and I am now hovering over the order button...

19. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I was in the best buy store today and they don't have the new Imacs. The manager I talked to said they should be coming to the stores by next week.

20. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Yep somebody for sure changed the resolution to the highest which will make the text tiny.

If it's set to "Best" it should be thee same size as the regular iMac 27".

I'm heading to the Apple Store for some quality testing time tomorrow. I hope they have the RiMac and the regular one side by side. They didn't the other day.