Anyone can be a DEV?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Looks like anyone can give being a dev a shot for $99, according to anouncement today. You just pay the fee, down the sdk, and make an app, see if Apple approves it. Badda Boom Badda Bing!

11:12AM - "We think a lot of people will want to become an iPhone developer -- go to our site, probably in about an hour, and download the SDK. You can join the developer program to test your app on the iPhone and iPod touch and distribute your app -- to join the dev program costs just $99. If you have any questions about anything give us a ping at developer.apple.com."

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
They are going to be hit hard with downloads and are going to be making tons of $$$$$
When this comes out we are going to have so much things we are not going to know what to do.. big things will come.. This site is going to grow big time with which apps to buy posts and reviews

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
I might join by the end of tonite. :D

Are you all under the same assumption as me? It almost sounded as if you would have access to the app store beta and downloads if you became a developer. Do you get the same from his comments?

I don't have an extra $99 laying around but i might find it if I can get access to the new apps that are going to be tested, because you know stuff like MMS will be designed in the next few days

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
Are you all under the same assumption as me? It almost sounded as if you would have access to the app store beta and downloads if you became a developer. Do you get the same from his comments?

I don't have an extra $99 laying around but i might find it if I can get access to the new apps that are going to be tested, because you know stuff like MMS will be designed in the next few days
Im under the same impression. If that is the case and we can get a beta version of 2.0 and test apps, I would pay $99 to do so in an instant.

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
I might join by the end of tonite. :D
Me too. I'm young - but I can come up with stuff. Hell - I might make a couple of apps based around Travian and stuff.

hinzy

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
Im under the same impression. If that is the case and we can get a beta version of 2.0 and test apps, I would pay $99 to do so in an instant.
That is not how i understood it. It cost $99 to Join the Dev team and then you get access to the Beta version SDK. (NOT THE STORE) Then you can create your own, not test other peoples.

Well the SDK is available on Apple.com now, I guess we will find out shortly.

Unfortunately, the Enterprise features they talked about will not be released today, they also are available on Apple.com, only after your company is selected.

Also, the last few words in this sentence by the man himself is what leads us to believe you can beta test other apps:

"We think a lot of people will want to become an iPhone developer -- go to our site, probably in about an hour, and download the SDK. You can join the developer program to test your app on the iPhone and iPod touch and distribute your app

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
I'm registered as a developer. I'll have a go now.

hinzy

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
Also, the last few words in this sentence by the man himself is what leads us to believe you can beta test other apps:

"We think a lot of people will want to become an iPhone developer -- go to our site, probably in about an hour, and download the SDK. You can join the developer program to test your app on the iPhone and iPod touch and distribute your app
Yeah... "DISTRIBUTE" if it's approved. Just cause they will put your app in the store when it comes out, doesn't mean that you will have access to the store right now.

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Me either. Crap - I didn't realise it needed one. If it is, I'm going to take the plunge of installing Leapod on a PC.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I have an Athlon 64 X2 and an Intel Core Duo... Neither one of them are compatible. :(

I need a Core 2 Duo to install Leopard... so I'm all out of luck no matter what - it'd require either upgrading my PC or buying at the very least a Mac Mini.

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Luckily I have the Core 2 Duo ;) I'm reallly, REALLY, tempted to buy an iMac, Macbook Air, Macbook, or Macbook Pro. Possibly Mac Mini.

Thing is...I don't have a lot of money. :p

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Considering what it cost me to activate ($750) and what the phone cost ($400) and my other bills... I don't have the money to spare... which really sucks, because I have really wanted to develop stuff for the Mac and iPhone for so long, and now the iPhone SDK comes out and it's Mac-only...

I can make all kinds of cool stuff in Windows, but none of it half as cool as doing anything on the iPhone.

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
Do you guys think that the apps available through the iTunes store are going to be device specific like the older games were for the ipods? Or are we going to be able to make a repository of official iTunes apps?

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Do you guys think that the apps available through the iTunes store are going to be device specific like the older games were for the ipods? Or are we going to be able to make a repository of official iTunes apps?
There are no apps in the iTunes store, and probably never will be.

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Just a note: The current SDK is only avaliable to the USA.