Anyone compared to the Samsung S3?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by consultant, Aug 13, 2012.

1. consultant

consultant New Member

I've always had a cutting edge mobile device, browsing the Internet on my Samsung Windows CE phone at 56K speed many many years ago. Then when the iPhone 3G came out I gave it a try and "fell in love" with it. Easy to use, no bugs/viruses/malware, etc. And jailbreaking it gave me the additional flexibility that a power user craves. Moreover, one benefit was that being the "go to guy" for anything technical in my extended family, it's much easier to support everyone when they are all on Apple devices as they are so easy to use, they don't need support!

However, I'm beginning to get "the itch" to try something to make sure I really have the best device for me. But first a little more background. I've always felt a little embarrassed to be a PC/Windows user as I've got plenty of scars from many many years ago in the pre Win7 days when I was a Network Administrator. BSOD is an acronym that comes to mind. But finally, with Windows 7, I can say Microsoft has a decent OS. Win8? That sounds like it will be a catastrophe. Personally, the bottom line is aside from an iPhone and an iPad I can't afford a Mac or Macbook. I AM a power user (video editing, etc.) and Apple does NOT give you the best bang for your buck as far as processing power.

But I AM a HUGE Google fan. I'm an Internet Consultant by living so it is my job to stay up-to-date with all things Net. I am throuroughly impressed with the dept and breadth of all things Google. They really are poised to "take over the world" and hopefully provide a seamlessly intrated set of solutions for any task you may have from e-mail , to document collaboration, to watching movies, to parking your car.

So I'm thinking to myself if I really do believe the world is headed toward a "Google World" then why am I walking around with an iPhone? Well, it just works, for one thing. And in my older age with two kids, I have less and less time to be tinkering with all our devices.

But the things I've read about the Samsung Galaxy S3 have got me REALLY curious. Plus I really have a very bad taste in my mouth left from when Apple removed Siri from my iPhone 4 in order to sell more 4S'. I'm do for an AT&T contract renewal, so do I wait for an iPhone 5, or do I stay true to my convictions and switch to a Google/Android product? I would be really curious to hear people's opinions who have used both iPhone and the S3 especially regarding these concerns:

What I love about the iPhone and would probably miss:

1. The easy to use, virtually scratchproof touch screen. Is the S3's screen as sensitive and scratchproof?

2. The ability to tether for free. Via jailbreak, on rare occasions where I have no WiFi connection for my laptop, I use my phone as a modem without having to paying AT&T for a tethering package. Again, I RARELY use this, but at times, it is a life saver.

3. The compact size with case. I'm leary about the new S3 size. iPhone 4 I can stuff in a front pants pocket. But I also recognize more people (including myself) are trying to use their phone for more stuff (as opposed to a laptop or desktop) so hence the trend for the larger screens. The size is compact enough on the iPhone though that you can put a semi-transparent case on it that makes it barely any bigger but protects everything well and makes it less slippery to hold.

4. The fact everyone else in my family has an iPhone - but aside from free text messaging on AT&T, I'm not sure how much of a benefit this is really translating to.

5. Rock-solid OS. I've heard Android can be buggy compared to iOS?

6. * Compatibility with other devices - namely my car. Both my car and my vacation home's whole-house audio system can interface with the iPhone so you can browse playlists, etc from the car or house's control screen. I assume with an Android you need to use Analog output. (Truth be told my car interface crapped out - was an aftermarket device so I'm actually using analog aux input with my iPhone now.)

What I wouldn't miss about the iPhone:

1. The need to constantly stay on top of which iOS version has which jailbreak available.

2. The slow camera start-up

3. The lack of SD card slot

4. The high price

2. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

first let me just say that I would wait for the new iPhone to come out. And see what Apple has before buying a GS3. Now that I got that out of the way.
    I have to say in all honesty the GS3 is better in just about every way over the current 4s.
    It’s faster, thinner, lighter, has a removable sd card which is one of the things you mentioned, and if your in a 4g lte area. Then you are in for a very plesent internet surfing surprise.
    3g/hspa+ speeds ani’t touching 4g lte.

1. The easy to use, virtually scratchproof touch screen. Is the S3's screen as sensitive and scratchproof?
    >>To be honest the screen is very hard to scratch and is super responsive to the touch.

2. The ability to tether for free. Via jailbreak, on rare occasions where I have no WiFi connection for my laptop, I use my phone as a modem without having to paying AT&T for a tethering package. Again, I RARELY use this, but at times, it is a life saver.

>>I have the 5gb pkg with ATT and it comes with wifi tether for free another +

3. The compact size with case. I'm leary about the new S3 size. iPhone 4 I can stuff in a front pants pocket. But I also recognize more people (including myself) are trying to use their phone for more stuff (as opposed to a laptop or desktop) so hence the trend for the larger screens. The size is compact enough on the iPhone though that you can put a semi-transparent case on it that makes it barely any bigger but protects everything well and makes it less slippery to hold.

>>Actually since the GS3 is thinner and lighter than the 4s. it really does fill like a smaller phone than the 4s when you have in your pocket. The 4s just feels like you have something in your pocket due to the phone being so thick and heavy.

4. The fact everyone else in my family has an iPhone - but aside from free text messaging on AT&T, I'm not sure how much of a benefit this is really translating to.

>>me either so it’s a draw.

5. Rock-solid OS. I've heard Android can be buggy compared to iOS?

>>that was the old Android. But those days are gone. The new GS3 does not feel buggy at all.
    And it does not have that rubber-band feeling that the iPhone has. Which to be honest I hate. It just feels slow and dated. But hey that’s just me. I love a fast scrolling phone.

6. * Compatibility with other devices - namely my car. Both my car and my vacation home's whole-house audio system can interface with the iPhone so you can browse playlists, etc from the car or house's control screen. I assume with an Android you need to use Analog output. (Truth be told my car interface crapped out - was an aftermarket device so I'm actually using analog aux input with my iPhone now.)

3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

There is a thread for this.

#3 imutter, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014