Anyone else can't make their mind up about iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by coinstar99, Jun 14, 2013.

1. coinstar99

coinstar99 Member
    Bronze

I installed in yesterday and then uninstalled it and went back to iOS 6. Now I'm sitting here in front of my Mac thinking about doing it again. Weighing the pros and cons of running it. I do a little bit of beta testing for apps, which is why I can install it, just can't make my mind up, as I'm not testing anything now, I just want to play. Anyone else out there having trouble making their mind up?

2. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

I am personally using it as my daily driver on my iPhone 5. No problems so far. I like it I guess... I like the new features and whatnot. I'm not decided on the new icons I must admit. The battery life leave a lot to be desired but its usable. I guess you should only use it if you want to be on the cutting edge of tech.

3. coinstar99

coinstar99 Member
    Bronze

The app crashes and battery life are really all that is holding me back at this point. When I was using it yesterday I was really impressed about some of the new app designs.

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I don't have any battery issues on my 5.

But I have had major problems with Maps, Siri, and Reminders. I've heard a reset of all settings might help, so maybe I'll do that later.

5. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Yeah, my battery last as just as long as it did pre-iOS7 most days... if I have the dynamic BG on it seems to use a little more...

6. IllusionEntity

Gold

This is my only minor annoyance. Apple is big on battery life but now have the dynamic background. And you can't turn it off. So the gyro/accelerometer are working overtime for a gimmick.

7. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Unfortunately stupid people complain about not having these gimmicks like Android (or the jailbreak community), and we miss out on actual useful features... Damned if you do, damned if you don't i suppose...

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Yes you can. Settings->accessibility->reduce motion.

ku-xlarge.png

9. IllusionEntity

Gold

Yes to an extent. The clue is in the name, reduce. The hardware will still be drawing power.

10. IllusionEntity

Gold

Believe me. I'm all for gimmicks. But it would be nice if I had a choice to use it or not.

11. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Well I was talking about the actual Dynamic wallpaper not the parallax effect... the parallax doesn't really seem to effect my battery too much...

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

What gave you that idea?

13. danbrumit

danbrumit Member
    Bronze

Using it as daily driver on iPhone 5. I like everything about except the icons. And I like the old keyboard
    Better

Sent using iCafe app

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'm passing until the GM release, and even then I'll have to think about loosing my JB. That is unless my phone requires a restore before then in which case ill probably toy with ios7. I'm just really disliking the ugly icons and color choices, now, feature wise, I'm liking it.

15. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

I am starting to like it.
    The control panel was a must have. I cant believe they still did n0t include a "close all app" feature.
    iTunes radio is totally superfluous and not cool. Pandora & Spotify should have this space, not Apple. Apple should have given those companies an API to 1-click buy from iTunes.
    Design wise:
    The old phone dialer screen was flat and didn't need to be changed. In fact, the new calculator looks like the old phone dialer.
    The message screen which i thought was hideous is growing on me and extremely clear and easy on the eyes to read.
    I like the icons but feel for the developers who need to update a lot to make things blend in.
    The fonts look good.
    The color pallete is good but non IOS7 icons look baaaaad
    The task manager is wonderful rip off of Auxo, the JB app
    The weather icon is a terrific rip off of the yahoo weather app (Yahoo won the Apple design award the day of WWDC.
    The home screen is nice a nice rip off Android

I don't mind borrowing from Android or the other OS's that ripped off iPhone in the first place. I don't like the encroaching on the innocent though.

Personal note, I used to use a pure black picture for my background and it looked awesome. With the grey background in the folder it looks awful. The entire design looks 100 times better on the white phone.

16. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Does it include more than one font or is it still the same just the one?

Edit: nvm I misunderstood what you said.

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

The Yahoo weather app was released only a couple months ago; I sincerely doubt that Apple completely redesigned theirs between April and June. More likely, Yahoo has input on the stock iOS app given that it's yahoo's data anyway.

18. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I'm on the fence as well. I'm still on 6.1.4, but am really thinking about installing the beta. I've heard stories of bricked phones, so I'm nervous to do it... I'll probably do it soon, but may downgrade if its too buggy for me. I don't have a second device to test drive it on.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Most software features are borrowed from/inspired by something else and most of them have been available for years in Cydia. There is only so much you can do with a task switcher. It's a pretty simple concept. The iOS 7 task switcher is not a rip off of Auxo. I don't like to use the words rip off, but the original concept was Web OS' task switcher that was used on the Palm Pre in 2009. ProSwitcher was a jailbreak app that came out shortly after the Palm Pre and it was an iOS version of their task switcher. Like ProSwitcher did years before, Auxo was also inspired by Web OS' task switching cards.

20. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

On one hand, I feel for Jailbreak devs who suddenly find that Apple has implemented a feature that will presumably make them heaps of cash while also making the jailbreak dev's mod obsolete. But on the other, they have to realize it's just a matter of time before that happens (with a few exceptions). Really, all it would take is a patent and a lawyer to take the fight to Apple for a nice settlement. You can't expect Apple to take it upon themselves to first research who came up with the idea originally, and then say, "oh hey, you made a piece of software for jailbroken phones (which we consider illegal, by the way) that functions somewhat like one we just implemented. Here, have some cash!"