Anyone else experience iPhone envy from public?

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
I was in best buy the other day trying to find headphones to fit my iPhone (obviously unsuccessful) and an employee came up to me and all he really said was, "an iPhone huh, I've really only heard bad things about those so far." I was like whatever, where the heck have you been!
God i hate it when people do that, its usually when they don't have it and they cant afford it or something, usually when they know they cant get it no matter what so they trash it, same thing happened to me when i got my PS3.

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
yes, someone looked at my phone and asked me some questions about it, and when he was leaving he said "thais stupid, a kid with that kind of phone. spoiled!" I was pissed because people don't know that I bought it with my own money! Man I hate people who judge like that! On top of that he waisted my time.

Also while we were waiting in line, a lady came by asking what the line was for and when we told her, she told us to get a life.that pissed me off, waist of time and insult

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
i was worried about jealousy but i have only received acalaids about how cool it is...even had a few spectators from afar. so far so good:laugh2:

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I've been several places with my iPhone and I've had some people think it's really cool but other people have gotten kind of nasty. Comments like "I wouldn't have that think if you paid me", or they voluntarily tell me about all the features of their phones, as if I have challenged them in some way. Sour grapes, I'm sure. It's kind of funny! But anyone who starts looking at all the apps walks away amazed -- even if they are p*ssed.
If they start bringing up their phone, or other phones, they're jealous. They're just trying to justify NOT spending the money on one. My friend is one of those "i'll upgrade when it's free" kinda guys. He just got the Katana from Sprint for 30$. He doesn't own an iPod. He doesn't own a computer.
He played with the iPhone, and now he says he would buy one in a heartbeat, if he had the money. He has never sat there and said "oh, it doesn't do this, it doesn't do that".

Anyone that does that, really wants this one, they're just trying to convince THEMSELVES that they don't want it. haha

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
yes, someone looked at my phone and asked me some questions about it, and when he was leaving he said "thais stupid, a kid with that kind of phone. spoiled!" I was pissed because people don't know that I bought it with my own money! Man I hate people who judge like that! On top of that he waisted my time.

Also while we were waiting in line, a lady came by asking what the line was for and when we told her, she told us to get a life.that pissed me off, waist of time and insult

You can't let what other ppl say, bother you. Anyone that says that to someone else, about something they're passionate about, or deeply involved with, is the one that really needs to get a life. I have this female friend that was talking to me the other day about it, and I explained to her that I waited outside the store for 6.5 hours, and she was like "WOW". I asked her, "You don't have anything in your life that you're that passionate about? Nothing you're willing to do that for?" She said no.
I look at that, and her life in general, and I guess there are some parts of her life that I envy and would like to have or be part of, but not having anything in your life that you love DEEPLY, whether it be person, object or even activity, is just sad to me.

That person that walked by and told you to get a life, is probably gonna go home, plop down in front of the TV and let the media feed her more apathy and negativity. She'll probably wake up the next morning, go back to her cubicle job, sit there for 8 hours, completely ineffectual towards her life and everything around her, and then go home, watch some more TV, become more ineffectual, unmotivated and apathetic, go to sleep, repeat.

Don't let these ppl tell you what's good for you. Don't let them tell you that you're less of a person, because you're not doing exactly what they're doing with their lives. It's like telling you that you should go the exact path of everone else in life. That by the age of 24, you should be out of college, married and have 1 kid. It's all a load of cr*p!

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
I went to the cingular in my home town which they are not corporate, looking for a headset, The three associates in their all jumped up and walked over to take a look, one guy was really amazed the others not so, I gave him a brief walk through of the phone.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Unfortunately it got out at work that I had an iPhone and people from all different departments were coming to take a look (I work in a hospital too). I get a few snide comments like, "they must be paying you to much" or other stupid stuff like that. Only one person had negative things to say most are very impressed and want one after they see mine.

Downer

Mar 11, 2007
Germans call it "Neidgesellschaft" -- society of envy. Some comments are primarily based on ridiculous assertions that are intended to hurt. We can't be everybody's darling.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
yeah anytime I take it out the general area gets kinda quite and then I'll hear a faint "omg, that's the iPhone" or yesterday I got a guy talking on his phone and says "dude the guy DIRECTLY behind me is playing on his iPhone"
some people comment on the hefty price, but they AME the graveous error of calling it "just a phone"
I had to pull it out once to find where I had parked my car in the city streets and theguy behind me was like "man I don't know about $500 for just a phone" I wanted to turn around and say "does it look like I'm using it as a phone?" that's the whole point! Its not just a phone! Hehe oh well, most are big admirers. Btw all this was typed with that $650 iPhone :p

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
yeah anytime I take it out the general area gets kinda quite and then I'll hear a faint "omg, that's the iPhone" or yesterday I got a guy talking on his phone and says "dude the guy DIRECTLY behind me is playing on his iPhone"
some people comment on the hefty price, but they AME the graveous error of calling it "just a phone"
I had to pull it out once to find where I had parked my car in the city streets and theguy behind me was like "man I don't know about $500 for just a phone" I wanted to turn around and say "does it look like I'm using it as a phone?" that's the whole point! Its not just a phone! Hehe oh well, most are big admirers. Btw all this was typed with that $650 iPhone :p

Our waiter at Chili's was taking our order, and I pulled it out.
This is how it went.

"Ok, that's a fajita trio, a southwestern chicken salad, and blah blah blah"
<long pause with him still standing there....>
(i'm looking down at the phone, text messaging)
"Is that an iPhone?"
<i look up>
"Yes it is."
"What's it like? is it worth the money?"
<my non-tech friend butts in from nowhere>
"Yes it is. It is BAD ASS."
lol

Denny Crane

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
You can't let what other ppl say, bother you. Anyone that says that to someone else, about something they're passionate about, or deeply involved with, is the one that really needs to get a life. I have this female friend that was talking to me the other day about it, and I explained to her that I waited outside the store for 6.5 hours, and she was like "WOW". I asked her, "You don't have anything in your life that you're that passionate about? Nothing you're willing to do that for?" She said no.
I look at that, and her life in general, and I guess there are some parts of her life that I envy and would like to have or be part of, but not having anything in your life that you love DEEPLY, whether it be person, object or even activity, is just sad to me.

That person that walked by and told you to get a life, is probably gonna go home, plop down in front of the TV and let the media feed her more apathy and negativity. She'll probably wake up the next morning, go back to her cubicle job, sit there for 8 hours, completely ineffectual towards her life and everything around her, and then go home, watch some more TV, become more ineffectual, unmotivated and apathetic, go to sleep, repeat.

Don't let these ppl tell you what's good for you. Don't let them tell you that you're less of a person, because you're not doing exactly what they're doing with their lives. It's like telling you that you should go the exact path of everone else in life. That by the age of 24, you should be out of college, married and have 1 kid. It's all a load of cr*p!

Outstanding post. My hope for everyone is that they find something that they are passionate about.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Everyone at work wants to see and touch it. I reply by saying "Look with your eyes, not your hands."

Yesterday, I went to go see Transformers. I took out my iPhone to take some pictures of the 2008 Camaro on display in front of the theater, someone YELLS out, "Oh my God, he has an iPhone!" and everyone turned around and looked at my wife and I. I quickly put it in my picket and walked away.

IceTrAiN

Bronze
Everyone at work wants to see and touch it. I reply by saying "Look with your eyes, not your hands."

Yesterday, I went to go see Transformers. I took out my iPhone to take some pictures of the 2008 Camaro on display in front of the theater, someone YELLS out, "Oh my God, he has an iPhone!" and everyone turned around and looked at my wife and I. I quickly put it in my picket and walked away.
Haha that's awesome.. "Screw the camaro, he has an iPhone!"

greggumz

Jun 30, 2007
When in public I do try to keep my phone in my pocket I only pull it out to check time or if I hear a missed call.

When with my friends who havn't seen it I always say "Well theres a huge elephant in the room, and I might as well shine some light on it" then i pull i out and let them play with it.

I have been getting teased though about the lame ringtones, and about how it can't do video or call people by me telling it in the microphone to call "jeff."

I love the phone though, I spend way too much time on it. I am waiting for those iTunes updates though!

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007

That is awesome. :) haha

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I get the usual plethora of Apple haters that haven't held the phone or even seen one in person since before launch and they just rag on it. I have had to show it to my boss and her boss and a number of people in the office and you can just see it in their eyes, that they hate their Treos, Blackjacks and Blackberrys now.

Their only comeback is, "Well you paid too much." And I ignore them and snap on my headphones and jam to some music and thumb through coverflow. LOL.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I get the usual plethora of Apple haters that haven't held the phone or even seen one in person since before launch and they just rag on it. I have had to show it to my boss and her boss and a number of people in the office and you can just see it in their eyes, that they hate their Treos, Blackjacks and Blackberrys now.

Their only comeback is, "Well you paid too much." And I ignore them and snap on my headphones and jam to some music and thumb through coverflow. LOL.
There ya go! Handle your businesss! haha

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
my dentist stopped multiple times during my procedure to show anyone and every one

noahlh

Jul 5, 2007
I've had about 5 people say something so far -- not a single negative/jealous/hater comment yet. Mostly it's just "Oooo wow is that the iPhone? That's awesome."

Surprisingly, I haven't seen anyone else on the street or around NYC using it. I'm sure you guys are all out there, but I haven't seen ya :)

nlh