Anyone else find this fun - Starbuck iTunes

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Starbucks will be rolling out iTunes WiFi in select markets soon - Starbucks uses T-Mobile for its HotSpots - iTUnes WiFi is primarily aimed at iPhone and iPod touch customers - to use T-Mobile Hotspots you either need to be a T-Mobile customer (iPhone is ATT) or pay T-Mobile for each access (more cost on top of your ATT plan)..........:laugh2:

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Starbucks will be rolling out iTunes WiFi in select markets soon - Starbucks uses T-Mobile for its HotSpots - iTUnes WiFi is primarily aimed at iPhone and iPod touch customers - to use T-Mobile Hotspots you either need to be a T-Mobile customer (iPhone is ATT) or pay T-Mobile for each access (more cost on top of your ATT plan)..........:laugh2:

from what I understood, it was going to be free. A join venture between Apple, and Starbucks. I remember reading something on this a week or two back but cant seem to find the article. It was on the forums around here somewhere I believe.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I was just in a Starbucks that was attached to a Barnes and Noble, and there was a ATT wifi in there. However, you needed a username and password to log into it, and I didn't know what to use.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
B&N has a contract for ATT data just like Starbucks has a T-Mobile contract. I can see how the whole Starbucks/iTunes thing could be kept a separate entity, but the obvious issue will be the lack of availability of ATT WiFi service. I can't imagine ANYONE paying the outrageous price for T-M data just so they can access the music Starbucks is playing on their iPhone - I certainly won't. EGDE is obviously too slow to make an iTunes connection practical...

Guess it's time for Starbucks/T-Mobile contract renewal?

How funny would it be to find out in six months that this was a lead up to a T-Mobile purchase by ATT?

It IS fun to think about all the implications...

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I was just in a Starbucks that was attached to a Barnes and Noble, and there was a ATT wifi in there. However, you needed a username and password to log into it, and I didn't know what to use.
I'm about 98% sure the ATT data contract has nothing to do with their cellular service - BUT - if you have ATT DSL at home or work, and contact ATT, they will give you the access info...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Everything I have read is that accessing the iTunes WiFi store in the "selected" Starbucks will be free.

And for the 187 people that happen to frequent those "selected" Starbucks it likely will be--itunes WiFi Store access, not free WiFi access.

For the rest of us, the best thing to come out of this is the free iTunes songs. IMO, naturally.

--
Mike

captastro

Sep 6, 2007
If you have home DSL that is affiliated with AT&T, you may qualify for free wifi at AT&T WiFi hotspots. Worked for me at MacDonalds and a local mall. Check the link for the details.

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=5949

Jul 21, 2007
I don't know about everywhere... but all of the Starbucks that I've been to lately (8 or more) all have the new AT&T Wifi Signs... no longer T-Mobile.

I'm pretty sure they are cutting their program with T-Mobile and have set something up with AT&T/Apple... considering they will be offering this for the iPod/iPhone.

mrgisriel

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Well, from what I have heard the iTunes will still be in select stores starting this year and going into 2008, that will be free but the Internet (tmobile) will still be paid access. I was in b&n/starbucks the other day and was able to connect to the AT&T network without a password/ paying. I'm not sure why but the network was not locked or anything

Derek Gisriel