anyone else getting TONS of call failed, even when you have 5 bars?

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
ive restored my iPhone a few times, and still get cal failed, even after the phone rings a few times. just tried calling Apple, and it happened :(. repeated four times, same thing.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
that mist be am issue with AT&T around you. I have gotten failed calls but not nearly as many as you. I'd say 2 or 3 since I got the 3G. You should try calling AT&T with your problem since I don't think it is an issue of the phone itself.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
that mist be am issue with AT&T around you. I have gotten failed calls but not nearly as many as you. I'd say 2 or 3 since I got the 3G. You should try calling AT&T with your problem since I don't think it is an issue of the phone itself.
I agree. Give ATT a call or better yet visit on of the stores and they can usually fix it right on the spot.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
i had this problem I think yesterday. It's never happened before and I'm using the V1 iPhone with 2.0 software.

Certain phone numbers I'd try calling 20 times and it would keep beeping and saying call failed without even ringing and I'd have several bars of service. But if I hung up and tried a different number it would work fine. I thought at first there was just a problem with that number I had been dialing but later in the day same thing with a different number...refused to work but all other numbers I tried worked fine.

H

Hayesimus

i'm glad i'm not the only one. and i'm not on 2.0 yet by the way. i tried calling two friends that were both from the same town down state and failed seriously 50 times. called a friend in my town, straight through. called the other friends again. failed. so maybe it was because of their town? :S

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
i had this problem I think yesterday. It's never happened before and I'm using the V1 iPhone with 2.0 software.

Certain phone numbers I'd try calling 20 times and it would keep beeping and saying call failed without even ringing and I'd have several bars of service. But if I hung up and tried a different number it would work fine. I thought at first there was just a problem with that number I had been dialing but later in the day same thing with a different number...refused to work but all other numbers I tried worked fine.

this is what i mean too! it worked after resetting it but its such a pain

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I've had dropped calls, too. Can it just be that there are so many new iPhone users/AT&T customers that their system is overloaded? I had problems with dropped calls all the time when we were on Verizon, but once we made the switch to Cingular all was fine.. no matter which phone I had.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
it isn't dropped calls, the calls aren't even dialing or going through at all. And it's only certain random numbers that seemed to be having issues Number A won't work if you call it 30 times, call number B and it works fine, try calling number A again rigt afterwards and it still doesn't work.

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
My reception has been terrible since getting the 3g phone, always sits around 2 bars rarely3-4, and drops calls randomly. I came from a v1 phone with 1.1.2 software that I never upgraded because of was so snappy , I didn't want to deal with headaches and well now here I am :/

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
My reception has been terrible since getting the 3g phone, always sits around 2 bars rarely3-4, and drops calls randomly. I came from a v1 phone with 1.1.2 software that I never upgraded because of was so snappy , I didn't want to deal with headaches and well now here I am :/
the 3G having few bars is not the same issue we are addressing here.

3G and edge/voice are 2 different signals. If the iPhone is receiving any 3G at all then it displays the 3G signal strength and not the edge/voice.

So you may be picking up 5 bars of edge/voice but 1 bar of 3G and it's going to show 1 bar.

You technically aren't getting worse reception, 3G coverage just isn't as good as 2G

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
it isn't dropped calls, the calls aren't even dialing or going through at all. And it's only certain random numbers that seemed to be having issues Number A won't work if you call it 30 times, call number B and it works fine, try calling number A again rigt afterwards and it still doesn't work.
This best explains what I am experiencing after updating to 2.0 on my v1 iPhone. I never could call a certain number on iPhone, but it dialed with no problem with Verizon.

Jim

Return_of_the_Mac

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I never experienced many dropped calls with my original iPhone and in the two days I've had the 3G iPhone, I've had like 4 dropped calls. I'm hoping it's something AT&T will fix because on their 3G coverage map of my area, mostly everything is dark orange which is suppose to mean the best 3G coverage possible but I'm only seeing less than 2 bars.

Sucks because you get clearer conversations on 3G, but your calls can get dropped which is annoying and what I've done is turned 3G off and just talked using Edge to make sure it didn't drop the call.

But what's the point of 3G, if AT&T is not coming through with the coverage.

I also had the original Blackjack at one point over a year ago and that was 3G and never experienced dropped calls.

I'm assuming they might be working on their system which is why a lot of us are experiencing bad signals, dropped calls, call failed, etc. I've had a couple call failed too.

You have to believe it's either the software/hardware inside the phone or AT&T itself is not ready to handle the demand.

If I'm supposedly in the excellent coverage area, I'd hate to see what some of you guys are dealing with in the just "good" areas which are lighter orange.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
gAyT&T claimed "fewest drop calls" LMAO yeah right..... Tmo had never failed me.... errrr I hate the company I'm with.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I've had many failed calls (with full bars, or 2-5 bars) before 3G, so I think it's an ATT thing. I have failed calls now as well, so nothing's changed.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
gAyT&T claimed "fewest drop calls" LMAO yeah right..... Tmo had never failed me.... errrr I hate the company I'm with.
I never have dropped calls, just calls that never make it in the first place, i.e. failed calls with 2-5 bars.

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
recall, some of us (me included) mean failed calls, not dropped calls. i.e. rings six times and then says call failed.

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I've had my original 3G replace after one week of of weak signal, signal going from no bars to 5 bars, dropped calls, calls not going through... The new one has the same issue. Callers say my phone goes right to voice mail when they call... I had three failed calls today and two dropped. All these calls were placed in what ATT claims to be excellent signal areas... My 1st gen did not have nearly as many problems. In addition, I have had about a dozen or so crash reports sent to Apple by iTunes... Why does a new phone crash so much in just one week and have so many issues just placing a simple call. This is basic stuff by now! At this point... I love the phone but hate the problems... I can't afford to have poor call service! I might be returning mine if things don't improve soon.

k3n85

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
I actually just made a post about this issue, well for me it seems that any number starting with (937) 902-xxxx in Ohio fails right away. Yet I'm able to take the SIM card out and works fine on another phone.

The friend on the other end (who I can't call) is able to call me just fine, text them fine, just can't dial any number starting with those 6 numbers. I've tried calling other local businesss around her to see that that worked with the area code....works fine.

any thoughts?