Anyone else have cracks on their 3GS?

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
Hey everyone,
Yesterday I noticed 2 small cracks around my headphone jack on my new white 3gs.
Today there are 3 cracks......

My phone has been completely BABIED since I bought it. I've only used the headphone jack 2 or 3 times.

I don't have an Apple store anywhere near me (100 miles away) and I'm not sure if my AT&T store will replace it.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Donald

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They will replace it. If it's too far to drive, you can ship it. I'm pretty sure Apple will send you a shipping box. Give them a call. They are very fast on shipping replacements. I doubt you'll be without your phone for more than 4 days. You could get a prepaid phone at Walmart for $20 (and you'll have to buy some minutes for it as well) to use while your iPhone is in the mail.

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
Thanks for the reply!
I think I'd rather drive 100 miles than go without my iPhone for 4 days! I'm really wondering if AT&T store will replace it?

Anybody get a replacement from AT&T?

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
If its under 30 days since you bought it I am sure that you can do a straight swap for one from the AT&T store ( You can with places in the UK) but if its after 30 days i am sure you have to send it to Apple.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Well call Apple, they usually send you the phone first and then you send them it back. Therefore you are not left without a phone, however if you don't return it, expect a 600 dollar bill on your creditcard.

raahee123

Jun 18, 2009
Plano, TX
ive had my phone since I-Day and i have the white one as well. i use my phone for music and my iPhone is still perfect. i bbaby it as well and its in perfect conditino. idk some phones crack but i check every couple of days for cracks and it seems really solid. hope u get a new phone playa

debest74

Bronze
May 4, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
They will replace it. If it's too far to drive, you can ship it. I'm pretty sure Apple will send you a shipping box. Give them a call. They are very fast on shipping replacements. I doubt you'll be without your phone for more than 4 days. You could get a prepaid phone at Walmart for $20 (and you'll have to buy some minutes for it as well) to use while your iPhone is in the mail.
He needs to send the phone in with the simcard?:confused: If not I don't think he has 2 buy minutes at all (im not sure about this, i might be wrong) just don't activate the simcard that comes with the phone and use his own simcard, that way he can keep using his numer :)

debest74

Bronze
May 4, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
ive had my phone since I-Day and i have the white one as well. i use my phone for music and my iPhone is still perfect. i bbaby it as well and its in perfect conditino. idk some phones crack but i check every couple of days for cracks and it seems really solid. hope u get a new phone playa
I baby my phone as well...I've never dropped it or anything, its been in an Incase Slider since day one with screen protecter but I do have some cracks on the bottom of the phone.:dft005:frazzled The cracks are hardly noticeable but I KNOW they are there.... other than that, my phone works great and I don't want 2 exchange it for a another one and then get a different problem with the new one, like battery life or something like that.
Im going 2 keep mine and if the cracks keep getting bigger then I will take the phone in.

kultschar

Bronze
Jul 15, 2009
Gee all these stories about cracks, batteries etc I wouldn't like to know how many iPhones get returned to Apple per day. I hope with the next gen they really improve the casings on these things!

Hazy3Gs

Jul 4, 2009
Pa Suburbs
no cracks on my phone and ive had it since 7/3. went first 2 weeks without a case and its been fine. for the next iPhones there are rumors they are going to and all aluminum body like the new macbooks

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
no cracks on my phone and ive had it since 7/3. went first 2 weeks without a case and its been fine. for the next iPhones there are rumors they are going to and all aluminum body like the new macbooks
There were rumors about an all-aluminum body for the 3GS as well.

akaremo44

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
No cracks
Second 3GS and this is by far the best iPhone I have had and I have had them all.

jooley

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Land of the #1 Jayhawks!
Hey everyone,
Yesterday I noticed 2 small cracks around my headphone jack on my new white 3gs.
Today there are 3 cracks......

My phone has been completely BABIED since I bought it. I've only used the headphone jack 2 or 3 times.

I don't have an Apple store anywhere near me (100 miles away) and I'm not sure if my AT&T store will replace it.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Donald
I had cracks in my white 3G, drove to the Apple store (50 miles for me), they checked to make sure no water damage or other signs I had abused her, and swapped out for another 3G. Just drive over to Apple, bet they'll give you another.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I had cracks in my white 3G, drove to the Apple store (50 miles for me), they checked to make sure no water damage or other signs I had abused her, and swapped out for another 3G. Just drive over to Apple, bet they'll give you another.
I did that with my 3G the day before the 3GS came out, and Apple exchanged it with no problem and the refurb looks brand new.

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
I plan to drive over to the Apple Store tomorrow...... I just have to restore my phone first. My iTunes crashed on me today so I had to reinstall.

I'll update when I get back.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Yep I have a small crack from the headphone jack straight towards the bezel which is such a micro-scopic area that I've decided to live with it. Already on my second 3gs because first one wouldn't always charge and would sometimes black out.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
It might be a good idea to call them first before you drive that 100 miles, they might be out of stock, Ive read there is a shortage in many Apple stores.