Anyone else have this problem converting DVD's to your iPhone?

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
I downloaded DVD Decryptor and Videora and when I go to decrypt a DVD that I purchased it won't convert in Videora. The funny thing is that the DVD's I burned from Netflix decrypt and convert without any problems. But I've tried 4 dvd's I purchased and not one will work. I'm not sure, but I think it is because of the copy protected software on it. Anyone know how to get past that?

Jun 18, 2007
I have been using Handbrake for Mac for DVDs I own with no problem at all. It even has an iPod preset to export them out in the right format and size.

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
I have been using Handbrake for Mac for DVDs I own with no problem at all. It even has an iPod preset to export them out in the right format and size.
I tried Handbrake, couldn't figure out how to get it to work. I'm on a Windows Vista PC, so my setup is different and all the tutorials I've been able to find for Handbrake are show on mac operating systems. :(

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
Is that free?

I'm trying to burn American Pie, American Pie 2, American Wedding, and Wedding Crashers and none will work. However, some of DVD's that I burned have "copyright protection" according to the back of their covers and those work fine. I'm not entirely sure if it is copyright protection not allowing me to convert or not. As far as I can see, American Pie didn't have copyright protection on it. Has anyone else been able to convert these movies, or are willing to try? I'm trying to figure out my problem, this means all my top favorites wont be able to be played on my iPhone.......that sucks ass.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I use Handbrake, as suggested by another forum member here.

It is absolutely perfect for converting DVDs to iPod / iPhone format.

tompayne

Bronze
Apr 12, 2007
i use wondershare dvd to iPhone, and it works like a charm. i need the movies, it's one of my biggest wow factors:laugh2:....im a pc owner btw.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Use DVD Decrypter to copy and decrypt the DVD onto your hard drive.

Use Handbrake to convert it into an iPhone/iPod friendly .mov file. Here are the Handbrake settings, I'm using...

Encoder: H.264 (iPod)
Width: 480
Height: Leave blank for auto resize to retain the original aspect ratio
Avg Bitrate: 500

I'm on a Windows Vista PC BTW.

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
mav - I've been using similar settings but at 800 ABR. Are you happy with 500? What is your average file size?

Clayfree

Jul 3, 2007
DVD Decrypter is really good but has not been updated in a while. One of the latest techniques the studios use is to put in bad or blank segments to throw off ripping apps. I use Ripit4me, it's a front end that uses other programs to do the work. To date I have not found a disc that it can't handle.

Videora works well but I have had better results from SuperC

For bitrate it depends on what you want in terms of size vs quality. I have been encoding at 320x240 H.264 at a bitrate of 288. If you want higher quality go up to 386 or 512br. I have been able to get 1 hr TV shows to about 180mb and movies at about 350mb.

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
Why are you doing 320 when it supports 480?

Clayfree

Jul 3, 2007
Why are you doing 320 when it supports 480?
320x240 produces a much smaller file size. I have lots of Divx/Xvid movies that I view at home and they are typically encoded at a smaller size than what the TV can display. 480x320 at a higher bitrate will produce movies that are 600+mb, that's not many movies in a limited space. At my current encoder settings I should be able to store 40 hours of video.

IPhone_Chica

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
I ude Cladvd net and Super Converter. I like Cladvd net better than DVD Decrytpter because it selects the movie file for u. I send it through Super Converter using the settings LESLIE referred in the iPhone software section and a sista got a movie she can watch on her iPhone

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
mav - I've been using similar settings but at 800 ABR. Are you happy with 500? What is your average file size?
I've tried several bitrate settings, starting from 1500 and moving down. I haven't noticed much quality loss between 800 to 500. In fact it looks to same to me. The avg file size is about 500 to 600MBs.

Clayfree

Jul 3, 2007
Do you loose a lot in quality?
I think they look good. The best thing to do is get a 1-3 minute clip and do some tests for yourself. Experimenting with a short clip is better than testing an entire movie.

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
Use DVD Decrypter to copy and decrypt the DVD onto your hard drive.

Use Handbrake to convert it into an iPhone/iPod friendly .mov file. Here are the Handbrake settings, I'm using...

Encoder: H.264 (iPod)
Width: 480
Height: Leave blank for auto resize to retain the original aspect ratio
Avg Bitrate: 500

I'm on a Windows Vista PC BTW.
Thanks mav, I'll have to try that tonight. Hopefully it works for me. Thanks for all the other suggestions too guys/girls.

EDIT: I currently use DVD Decryptor, but once I decrypt the video I open up Videora to transfer it to the iPod/iPhone format. When I go to convert it at that time, it converts it in 1 minutes time and then when you try to play it or import it into iTunes, it says the file isn't a valid file or something like that. Since Handbrake is basically the same type of program as Videora, will this actually work? It seems like it will just put me in the same situatuon I'm in now. I don't know?

fredthedog

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
You might need Slysoft's AnyDVD for the PC to handle the newer DVD protections,
I second this. pay the $30 and you NEVER have to worry about a DVD again. Lifetime free updates so anything new is usually cracked THAT day. I don't often advocate buying software but in this case I make an exception, its that good.

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
Thanks, I used the trial of that and I liked it as well. However, it transfered the DVD into a fairly large file compared to the DVD's I was able to transfer using DVD Decrypter & Videora. Is there a way to lower the output filze size with that program? Other wise you can't put much on the phone at that size. I was hoping to be able to take my iPhone on vacations and use that as my iPod/DVD player so I can leave those at home. But with output files of 1.26GB or more you can't fit many things on the phone.