Anyone else have this problem/light bleed on screen?

Ambien

Jun 30, 2007
yeah have them replace that, not normal nor acceptable for a $500 or $600 investment

I already tried that also... to have it exchanged. Unfortunately, with these types of devices it is common and most iPhones seem to have this issue somewhere around the edges of the screen. I only see mine in a mostly dark area a few millimeters wide on the side. Nonetheless, they wouldn't exchange it because, "All of them seem to be like that," according to a "Genius" at Towson Town Center in Towson, MD.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
I already tried that also... to have it exchanged. Unfortunately, with these types of devices it is common and most iPhones seem to have this issue somewhere around the edges of the screen. I only see mine in a mostly dark area a few millimeters wide on the side. Nonetheless, they wouldn't exchange it because, "All of them seem to be like that," according to a "Genius" at Towson Town Center in Towson, MD.
He is wrong. This is not that "common." If there are more then 2 on the screen that is completely unexceptable. I had 5, 3 on the top and 2 on the bottom. The ones on the top were bad, and as I said before compared to other iPhones it was very prevalent.

Ambien

Jun 30, 2007
He is wrong. This is not that "common." If there are more then 2 on the screen that is completely unexceptable. I had 5, 3 on the top and 2 on the bottom. The ones on the top were bad, and as I said before compared to other iPhones it was very prevalent.

I only have one section that "bleeds". Its on the right hand side about 3/4 of the way up. I have only one section. Has any one had success in having it swapped exchanged for this problem? If so, I might try and go back and have it looked at again. The iPhone has a year warranty, so we should have up to a year to get it fixed... right?

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
If it is distorting colors then yes you can have it replaced. If not, they might tell you, you cannot get a new one. Check your phone for dead pixels as well. If you find one or two you might be able to get a new one that way as well.

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Sending mine back through Apple Care

Well, I made the 1.5hr trip up to Knoxville, TN Apple Store yesterday to go to the Going Beyond workshop, and talk with them about my short battery life.

Workshop was just OK, but did learn something that will help me on public WiFi hotspots. They wanted me to restore the iPhone to see if it would help on battery life. So I did that last night and still just 3hr 47min battery life.

So today I call Apple, tell them about my trip to Apple Store, they apologize and are sending me a loaner that will get here tomorrow. I take out my SIM put it in loaner, and send my iPhone back. They are waiving the loaner fee.

I hate that I got one with such a short battery life, as everything else on it is working 100%.

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
Mine has the light bleed under the lock too. I also noticed this when first powering up when you get the black background and white Apple logo). I don't see this as enough of an issue to take it back.

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
From pictures that ive seen i think this problem might be more prevalent on phones with the 5 series screen. I now have a 5 and noticed the light bleed issue. Anyone else with a 5 series have this?

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Hey guys,

I was curious if this is a common iPhone thing or just unique to mine. Right above the home button I have two little areas where the light "bleeds" out from the backlight onto the screen. Attached is a picture of what I'm talking about, let me know if you have this problem too.... Btw, it is most visible on screen when the graphic being displayed is black.

-Thanks!
-Jag

LOL......

You arent that ****** jag from the food network contest by any chance are you?

Last edited by a moderator:

kaioken145

Jul 3, 2007
I had the samething although mine is a vertical line in the middle if the screen
i just took it to the Apple store and they are going to ship it out to get it fixed. They also gave me a loner phone to use while its being repared for free.
sucks all these problems...

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
some of you guys are just crazy! if were to go to Apple because my iPhone does not look the way it's supposed to or do what it's supposed to..beleave me when i say, i will make the biggest scene in the store.:mad:

there is no way that i paid $650 for the device and they are not going to replace it just because they "think" is not a sereious issue....

you got to be stupid to accept it and walk away....
please guys don't take a loner phone for crying out loud, just get it replaced ...don't let them tell you what to do..."the customer is always right you know...:p

by the way...i had this problem and got it replaced.:laugh2:

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Katra,
I see your point that you should return it regardless, but i've done my share of returns on this phone, and from the pictures i've seen online of people who had 5 series phones (pics comparing glowing battery) and they have the bleeding on top of the button. I wouldn't mind keeping this phone and ignoring the minor issue if its on all 5 series. So if someone has a 5 series and can check for these bleed marks on the charge or lock screen i'd appreciate it. Thanks!

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Katra,
I see your point that you should return it regardless, but i've done my share of returns on this phone, and from the pictures i've seen online of people who had 5 series phones (pics comparing glowing battery) and they have the bleeding on top of the button. I wouldn't mind keeping this phone and ignoring the minor issue if its on all 5 series. So if someone has a 5 series and can check for these bleed marks on the charge or lock screen i'd appreciate it. Thanks!
well iguess if you've been through that many, then yeah stick with the one you got....but man, i just cant beleave that we are paying so much and we continue to get these types of problems....

and where the F**K are the updates steve..:mad:

abohsali

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Most (if not all 5 series iPhones) have light bleeding

Hi,

I have a 5 series and it has the "light bleedings" at the bottom of the LCD. I looked at almost 10 5 series iPhones and they all have this issue. All the 7 series I looked at don't have it. So I believe it is a trade off guys. 7 series have the white dots grid on the LCD and the 5 series have the light bleeding. After all nothing is perfect. We will keep discovering manufacruing issues with the iPhone because we are just paranoid and we tend to forget about the great things the iPhone offers.

I owned other smartphones (some expensive and some not much) from Nokia, Sony Ericsson, HTC (iMate)....etc and they all have build imperfections. There is no such thing as perfect. I started a thread earlier about the list of build flaws of the iPhone and believe me when I say you are very lucky if you own a perfect phone or you might no be looking carefuly. My suggestion is to stop looking for imperfections in the iPhone, at least, you will after you own the phone for a while and it is not a new gadget anymore, then only functionality matters:)

ENJOY YOUR PHONE!

Regards,
-Bohs

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
Mine looks like that too! I've noticed it but I thought it was just my screen protector the whole time.

Last edited by a moderator: