Anyone else nervous about Skype becoming popular and slowing down our EDGE?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Since it uses data to make the calls, EDGE will get way way slower as more people use Skype. I personally hope it doesn't get too popular...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I'm convinced that this is already occurring in my area. It seems like every week EDGE is just a smidgen slower than the previous week.
OK, WTF, I thought I was going crazy... But I'm not now that I know others are experiencing these oddities.

Just today I was cruising a picture blog site that I know doesn't get traffic, because it's mine lol, but anyway, it took 9 minutes to load up the first page of just 6 images at no more than 200k each. 9 minutes! ! !

I have been doing this all last week to show friends my vacation pictures that I haven't put on my phone yet. Each and every time it was on EDGE without WiFi enabled, and it was the same, if not better, as having a 56k connection. I'm totally fine with that, it's how I was raised, lol, but lately I'm lucky to even get that performance.

I noticed the issue with network speed today at work around 2:30pm pst.

Cash

Jul 5, 2007
Skype has nothing to do with how shitty EDGE is.

Why are we even talking about EDGE ,we need a wifi around every corner its fucking 2007!

Every time I use Edge in my area I just want to slam my iPhone against the wall.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Skype DOES NOT slow down Edge.
I actually am excited about Skype getting popular. Skype is a great way to make free calls (especially for me since I am French and I have to call France on a regular basis).
Besides who uses Skype on a cellphone? Skype is not usable on the iPhone yet and it's a real pain in the ass to use on a blackberry.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I don't think anyone should worry about skype slowing edge down....the various skype iPhone attempts (Soonr, Jahjah) are laughable....You still have to use airtime while using these offerings!

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I just hope Skype doesn't get sued by AT&T and/or Apple (stranger things have happened) before they get the product on the market. I'm really looking forward to this application.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Skype DOES NOT slow down Edge.
I actually am excited about Skype getting popular. Skype is a great way to make free calls (especially for me since I am French and I have to call France on a regular basis).
Besides who uses Skype on a cellphone? Skype is not usable on the iPhone yet and it's a real pain in the ass to use on a blackberry.
How could it not use EDGE? If it uses airtime, then it would be worthless.