Anyone else raving about FaceTime as much as me?

TechnoPhobicGurl

Bronze
Jun 23, 2008
Ok so the FaceTime thing has been a cool feature, but one I knew just wouldn't get used much until the baby is born. But this week has given FaceTime a chance to prove its weight in gold (ok, maybe bronze, lol).

My husband has been gone since sunday and won't be home until late Friday, 2 hours away doing police training. We were bummed, because we figured this desolate area (in which they are sleeping in underground concrete bunkers) wouldn't have access to wifi let alone decent cell reception. But since highway patrol has a station there, the wifi was available and they gave him the code.

So anyways, my babbling aside (so sorry!) we talk about 2-3 times a day through FaceTime since I'm usually in wifi range, and impressively it's been very clear, much better than would be expected.

Not to mention he is totally freaking out his fellow officers when they see him talking to me on FaceTime, they get a kick out of it and quite frankly are becoming iPhone converts.

Any others finding times when FaceTime has become more than just a 'feature', and actually utilizing it for what it's worth?

leehookem21

Bronze
Mar 5, 2009
I've only used it once so far. It was pretty weird at first. Great feature of the phone. I have a 15 month old girl, so I hope to utilize the feature more in the future.

E Pow

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
I've used it once so far. I have a friend in SC that has an iPhone 4 and I haven’t seen him, his wife and their kids in a couple of years. We did a Facetime chat on launch day and got to see how big the kids haven’t gotten and that he and his wife are doing great. I got to see their new home and everything. I really enjoyed Facetime at that moment. Since then I haven’t really used it. I'll be glad when other companies create software(SKYPE) to use with it.

sirsamuels

Bronze
Jul 3, 2010
Ok so the FaceTime thing has been a cool feature, but one I knew just wouldn't get used much until the baby is born. But this week has given FaceTime a chance to prove its weight in gold (ok, maybe bronze, lol).

My husband has been gone since sunday and won't be home until late Friday, 2 hours away doing police training. We were bummed, because we figured this desolate area (in which they are sleeping in underground concrete bunkers) wouldn't have access to wifi let alone decent cell reception. But since highway patrol has a station there, the wifi was available and they gave him the code.

So anyways, my babbling aside (so sorry!) we talk about 2-3 times a day through FaceTime since I'm usually in wifi range, and impressively it's been very clear, much better than would be expected.

Not to mention he is totally freaking out his fellow officers when they see him talking to me on FaceTime, they get a kick out of it and quite frankly are becoming iPhone converts.

Any others finding times when FaceTime has become more than just a 'feature', and actually utilizing it for what it's worth?
Good Story, I have been trying to convince my wife the same. We work opposite schedules and are pretty much in the same boat. We just also had a new addition 3 months ago as well. So help. LOL

TechnoPhobicGurl

Bronze
Jun 23, 2008
Good Story, I have been trying to convince my wife the same. We work opposite schedules and are pretty much in the same boat. We just also had a new addition 3 months ago as well. So help. LOL
Well as of now it's great to use to keep in contact. MUCH better as on a normal phone call because it seems like you truly are with the person so to speak. I forget he's not anywhere near here for a while so that's a nice feeling.

The baby (I'm due in just over a month) was the biggest factor in the upgrade. With the better camera and option of FaceTime, it was a no brainer. My husband will be on midnights, 4 days a week for the first few months of her life, this will help 'keep him in the loop' for the things he may miss.

I'm just surprised with the last few days on how much I appreciate the feature, and am pretty impressed with how it performs.

Another perk: help keeping in contact through FaceTime to keep your relationship just a tad stronger than normal phone calls. This is just an opinion really, as to me as mentioned before, it makes you feel like your more with the person seeing their face. Plus explaining things that would otherwise be a little difficult become easy with live video feed.

Hope that might help in your convincing! Lol

jtsarby

Bronze
Jun 28, 2009
I did not give it much thought at first but I love it now. I only have one friend with an iPhone 4 but we talk frequently. I hope it can be adapted to be used cross platforms one day.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've used it once, with the only friend of mine that has a 4. It was pretty cool, but the conversation was something that could have easily been had over the phone. I'd like to, but I doubt I'll end up using it that much.

I refuse to call 1-888-FaceTime.

sirsamuels

Bronze
Jul 3, 2010
Well as of now it's great to use to keep in contact. MUCH better as on a normal phone call because it seems like you truly are with the person so to speak. I forget he's not anywhere near here for a while so that's a nice feeling.

The baby (I'm due in just over a month) was the biggest factor in the upgrade. With the better camera and option of FaceTime, it was a no brainer. My husband will be on midnights, 4 days a week for the first few months of her life, this will help 'keep him in the loop' for the things he may miss.

I'm just surprised with the last few days on how much I appreciate the feature, and am pretty impressed with how it performs.

Another perk: help keeping in contact through FaceTime to keep your relationship just a tad stronger than normal phone calls. This is just an opinion really, as to me as mentioned before, it makes you feel like your more with the person seeing their face. Plus explaining things that would otherwise be a little difficult become easy with live video feed.

Hope that might help in your convincing! Lol
Its coming slowly, but I believe all will come soon. I am also an officer. My schedule is swings 2p to 12a or 4p to 2a. Either way my schedule conflicts with hers. Ive ordered 2. So it will happen lol. I also agree with each and everyone of your points, Thanks.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have used it a couple times, and for one reason or another, it cuts me off. Mostly at work, as I have to use the "guest" wifi since the iPhone cannot be setup for the encryption/firewall setup we use here.
At home it worked fine, with one exception of talking to my friend (Doby45 on here) and he had a ton of apps open in the background, which killed the call. Works fine when there isn't much in the task manager.

CyberData4

Bronze
Jun 16, 2009
New York
I need more friends with iPhone 4's. What I'd like to see is cross-phone/cross-provider facetime video chat

KoukiFC3S

Bronze
Apr 7, 2010
I'm waiting for Fring to integrate skype video chat.

evolution83

Zealot
Gold
Mar 2, 2009
California
I think I'm the only one thus far who hasn't used FaceTime.

I can't wait to jailbreak so I can see how good FaceTime is on 3G unrestrictor. That is, if it works.

TechnoPhobicGurl

Bronze
Jun 23, 2008
Now if a someone can make it possible to have FaceTime over 3G, then I'm totally jailbreaking when a reliable one happens

A

acinemastare

It's a good feature, but Nokia (eg e71) have been able to do this for a long time.. over 3G or Wifi. Although i must admit the picture is very small, so the iPhone definitely does well there having full screen! Because they're sending such good pictures i imagine they didn't enable it for 3G because they were worried about there not being enough bandwidth to get a non jittery video through.

guest009

Jun 17, 2010
I turned off Facetime so that I could get my hold button back instead of the Facetime button. It wasn't a huge selling point for me but I could see how it would be.

iPerry

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
Central Massachusetts
I think it's pretty awesome! One of my friends has a palm pre and so he can do that wifi hotspot thing through his phone so whenever my other buddys with him they FaceTime me on the go it's pretty wild! It always surprises and gets me every time lol

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I've never even used it yet. I'm still waiting for someone to try it out with me :(

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You can add me and we can test it out for you. I PM'd my info

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
You can add me and we can test it out for you. I PM'd my info
Just tried to call you, it said you weren't available for FaceTime. I'll try again in a few minutes. Thanks by they way.